• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framerate conversion question

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to video editing. Here's my quandry in as few words as possible.

I mainly record audio, and in many situations I find myself needing to compile videos from multiple sources and sync all of them to one single audio file. It's clear how to deal with situations where the audio falls basically right in the middle of a frame, hence creating a very obvious lack of sync between A and V.  Just adjust the beginning of the audio to match the video. I've done it million times and it's easy.  But in a situation where one of the videos I get is synced up well and others aren't, adjusting the audio (music) is not an option on a per-clip basis unless you want horrible skips and surges in the music. Obvioulsy unacceptable.

So, I think I understand that it's not possible to move video by less than one frame. But is it possible, even in a utility outside of Premiere, to convert to double the frame rate, trim one frame from the beginning of the clip, and convert back to a Premiere Elements-supported frame rate, hence adjusting the beginning by half a frame at the slower framerate?

Clearly the professional way to do this is to have cameras that are all synced to one another, but that's not really possible when you have one person in Italy, and another in Baltimore, and others in Florida, and yada yada...we all know how that goes, especially lately.  Unless the audio session is synced with SMPTE or whatever (is SMPTE even a thing, anymore?) and each musician uses the same stripe to clock their cameras...technology that the vast majority of folks don't have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting a file to double framerate will give you a file with the same length.

slow down the file by 50%.

Trim one frame

speed up with 99,xxx% to original length.

Convert.

Not sure this is such a good idea.

I would use Premiere Pro were you can move audio 1/48000 of a second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thought. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Being able to move the audio by the sample within Premiere would be handy, but it doesn't solve my problem.

Multiple video clips from various sources on top of one contiguous audio file. I get it lined up with one and inevitably I get a video clip from someone that's a half a frame's time off. Moving the audio can't be done without chopping it up. Being a musician I don't want to bastardize my audio to fit my video. Your solution is encouraging, though.

If only Premiere would operate at 60fps. It would sure make things easier if I had a finer video grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...I know Premiere Pro operates at 60fps, but Elements doesn't appear to be able to.

It's just hard to justify Premiere Pro at what I think is an exorbanent cost for a monthly subscription to a program I only use a couple times a month.  These subscription paradigms can really suck for the consumer. Kind of makes hobbies prohibitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok screw it...I bought a subcription. Only $20/mo. I thought it was more like $50.

Hopefully things get easier now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines