• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - after import, video no longer has associated audio?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import a video with sound that is of the file format (.mp4). It is around 18 minutes long and of a large file size. I imported the video, but no audio file showed up underneath it like they usually do. I was patient and waited a while for the audio file to show up, but nothing. If I play it using windows media player, I am able to hear the audio. However, when I import it into Premiere Elements 15, there is no audio file at all. Is there something I am doing wrong? I couldn't seem to find help on this anywhere else, so I apologize if it is indeed a repost, but I googled it and nothing came up. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model of camcorder did this video come from?

Also which version of the program are you using on what operating system?

If this is not video from a camcorder, there may be issues with the compression system the MP4 is using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unfortunately not sure what camcorder the video came from; the video was taken by the videographer at my wedding so I never got a good look at the device...However, the operating system is Windows 10 and the program is Adobe Premiere Elements 15. You think it could be issues with the compression system? If so, is there anything that can be done? Thank you so much for your reply, I greatly appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one of the videos in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Tree and then copy and paste the information it reports to this forum.

Once we know what the file is made of, we'll know better what to recommend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  I'm using Premiere Elements 18 for Mac.  My camcorder is a Canon Vixia HF G20.  I see the video, but there is no audio.  I can play the clip on the camcorder and hear the audio on it.  I just get no audio once it's been uploaded?  PLEASE HELP ME!  It's the only footage of my Dad's 80th birthday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are a Mac user, perhaps you'll have to learn iMovie. Not my first choice. Hope a fix comes very soon so that your father's 80th birthday memories can be shared. Like I've said in another post, Adobe's apparent lack of interest in fixing this problem is deplorable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help either of you unless you provide me the information I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

General

ID : 0 (0x0)

Complete name : /Volumes/3TB Videos VG/Videos from Camcorder/00004.MTS

CompleteName_Last : /Volumes/3TB Videos VG/Videos from Camcorder/00082.MTS

Format : BDAV

Format/Info : Blu-ray Video

File size : 45.8 MiB

Duration : 23s 940ms

Overall bit rate mode : Variable

Overall bit rate : 16.0 Mbps

Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video

ID : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID : 1 (0x1)

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : High@L4

Format settings : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15

Codec ID : 27

Duration : 23s 957ms

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 15.1 Mbps

Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps

Width : 1 920 pixels

Height : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Interlaced

Scan type, store method : Separated fields

Scan order : Top Field First

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.243

Stream size : 43.2 MiB (94%)

Audio

ID : 4352 (0x1100)

Menu ID : 1 (0x1)

Format : AC-3

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3

Codec ID : 129

Duration : 24s 32ms

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 256 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Frame rate : 31.250 fps (1536 SPF)

Bit depth : 16 bits

Compression mode : Lossy

Delay relative to video : -67ms

Stream size : 751 KiB (2%)

Service kind : Complete Main

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a known issue with version 2018 and AC3 audio.

Someone else on this forum can likely provide you more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased the Elements 2018 after getting a notice that my Elements 2013 somehow became a 30 day Trial version.  In the forum, other users discussed a known issue with Elements version 2018 and AC3 audio. Please identify the patch or fix to resolve this known problem which impacts user productivity and therefore the trustworthiness of the product upgrade.  I had no problem with this in Premier 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue on my Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra using Premiere Elements 18 that I purchased 7.21.2018. Been ready all the attempted fixes, but most of them are for Premiere Pro, not Elements. I am extremely unhappy that Adobe does not have a fix when they are aware of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kathryna19232509  wrote

..... I am extremely unhappy that Adobe does not have a fix when they are aware of the problem.

Have you tried a chat session with Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent almost two (2) hours online with Chat. The bottom line is this. Because Adobe had a dispute with Dolby, they no longer support Dolby audio except if you want to spend big bucks on CS5!! So all the Premiere Elements 18 users are out of luck if you use a camcorder with Dolby audio. Very frustrating and very disingenuous of Adobe to not make the claim when people go online to purchase Premiere Elements 18 that if you use a camcorder with Dolby audio your audio files are no longer supported in the program. You will import video with no associated audio files!!! Very frustrating for a person like me who has supported Adobe products from the very beginning. I do not want to use iMovie, Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro. I love the ease of Premiere Elements. Adobe, please support Dolby audio again!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathyryna,

You are correct in every word when you write that Adobe no longer provides the codecs for AC3/Dolby audio.   Related is that there is no longer support for burning Blu-Rays.  That is disturbing too. 

I don't know how you could "spend the big bucks" on CS5.  It is long gone as available to buy.   My suggestion instead is to try to buy Premiere Elements version 15 on eBay or elsewhere.  It does not have the Dolby issues, burns Blu-Rays and is little different from 2018.

Good luck finding a happy solution to video editing.  Version 15 might be the sweet spot for a few years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do own Premiere Elements 15. Do hope that down the road Adobe works things out with Dolby.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a patch for AC3 audio because the components that support this type of audio were intentionally removed from Premiere Elements in version 2018. As we've discussed above, this is a non-issue if you have Windows 10 because Windows 10 supplies those components. But if you are running Premiere Elements 2018 on Windows 7 or Windows 8, you will not be able to edit video that includes AC3/Dolby audio.

That said, I'm not clear what you're saying about Premiere Elements 2013  -- mainly since there was no version 2013 of Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, it's Premiere Elements 13. Not 2013. Just wanted to make sure you weren't confusing it was Premiere Pro which, since the introduction of the Creative Cloud, is indicating its versions with years.

What happens if you load the serial number for Premiere Elements 13 when the trial countdown warning shows up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't look for Adobe and Dolby to "work things out." Because the real issue is that Adobe has to pay the license support for AC3 audio -- which they are choosing not to do, since this support is now provided by Windows 10.

So I wouldn't look for features that have been removed (including the option to create BluRay discs) to be reinstated in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since this support is now provided by Windows 10.

I have Windows 10.  I uploaded a video we recorded on camcorder but it has no audio.  Can Windows 10 fix this?  How do I do that?  This program is useless if I don't get audio with my video.  What is the point in that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have windows 10 as well andi'm having the same issue.  any resolve to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why it's not working for you, lindan. Maybe it would be best to look to a program that better fits your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines