• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can I open a .webm file in adobe premiere elements?

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of .webm files that I would like to edit using Adobe Premiere Elements, but cannot open them.

Is this possible? and if not can we please have a patch to allow this ubiquitous format to be used?

(I do realise the work around of converting the .webm files but would rather like to avoid that)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

webm is a new open media format for displaying video on the internet. Premiere Elements will probably not be able to edit it as not only the format but the codecs it uses are not standard editable codecs and formats.

Their web site offers no information on converting it.

The WebM Project | Frequently Asked Questions

This page of their site offers tools for transcoding the video -- but I still make no guarantees that any of these will produce an editable video.

The WebM Project | VPx and WebM Tools

Maybe someone else has a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattylangdon

This is not Adobe. Rather essentially user to user.

WebM is not on the Premiere Elements Import or Export Supported Formats list. It looks like it has been that way going back to at least Premiere Elements 4 and continuing to Premiere Elements 14 (current version). I find that the WebM file will not open in the Elements Organizer either.

Including Premiere Elements 14, the only way that I have found to use the WebM file in Premiere Elements is by converting the WebM to another format with which Premiere Elements is compatible...my preference is WebM to H.264.mp4 using the free and quick and effective HandBrake program. https://handbrake.fr/

There are numerous free and for purchase WebM converters to be found online.

I realize that you seek to bypass the need for a conversion in this case and obtain a "patch" as a last resort. I do not see that happening. You could file an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form. Feature Request/Bug Report Form

I have not yet found a WebM plug-in for Premiere Elements that will enable the WebM file as is to be imported into a Premiere Elements project.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if Premiere Elements supports Premiere/MediaCore plug-ins, but there's one of those if it does:

http://www.fnordware.com/WebM/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fnordware

Is this your company behind the free WebM plug-in whose link you have posted? If so, do you have Premiere Elements with which to test support or no support for the WebM plug-in?

When you install this plug-in in Premiere Pro, where does install in the program files and where does it appear in the Premiere Pro workspace?

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.T. Romano wrote:

When you install this plug-in in Premiere Pro, where does install in the program files and where does it appear in the Premiere Pro workspace?

OK, I downloaded the Premiere Elements trial and the plug-in does work. You can import WebM movies and render them out as well.

To Export from the Export & Share window, go to Devices > Custom > Advanced Settings and pick WebM as the format.

The installer should put the plug-in in the shared MediaCore directory, which Premiere Elements uses. On Windows that's C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fnordware

Thank you for the follow up, going beyond the questions asked and actually downloading and installing the fnord software for use with Premiere Elements.

Bottom line: this needs more work.....but almost there?

I have just done this with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit and was able to import successfully a sample WebM video (640 x 360 @ 25 progressive frames per second). Before the install of that software, I could not import the WebM file into the Premiere Elements 14 project.

I set the fnord software installation files to the software's default which is C\Program Files\fnord software\WebM for Premiere\. With that kind of setting, I expected the software to enable all Premiere Elements installs on that Windows 10 64 bit computer.

Regarding export of the WebM, after import, the WebM choice did appear under Export & Share/Devices/Custom/ and its Advanced Settings format choices. And, I was able to export the WebM Timeline successfully to a .WebM file.

Problems:

1. Using Windows 10 64 bit and with the present default location for the fnord software files, I was able to import the WebM file into a Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 14 project, not a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project.

2. I do not know how typical the 640 x 360 sizing is for WebM, but for Premiere Elements 14, but not 12/12.1, manually setting of the project preset is necessary. The project is reading the properties of the WebM correctly, there are problems with the automatic setting of the project preset by the project. This appears to be a 640 x 360 problem and not a WebM problem.

Needs more work.

Thank you for this contribution. Much appreciated.

ATR

Add On...at this time, I am not seeing a way to get a WebM export from Premiere Elements 13/13.1, 12/12.1, or 11 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 14 64 bit (would not have expected it of 13/13.1 since I cannot import the WebM file into that version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost two year on since this thread started and still no WEBM  solutions for HTML 5 development from Adobe.

I use webm and opus audio formats for working within the howler (web audio api) framework.

Still no attention to web development from Adobe. I wonder why ? hmmm ... it's not that flash is in the last throws of life could it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When WebM first arrived on the scene several years ago, it was seen as the cross-platform solution to video streaming, but since then, it appears as though that enthusiasm has waned. One of the best converters, Miro, Miro Video Converter FREE - Convert any video to MP4, WebM (vp8), iPhone, Android, iPod, iPad, and m... seems to have abandoned ship. I used MVC for years, but no more. Here's what I'd suggest. Join the others who have abandoned the WebM movement, convert to a format recognized by Adobe (by the way, Adobe never did support WebM) and forget WebM. It's like trying to support Flash on a mobile platform.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic about WebM since I was a big fan of the open source WebM solution and video format, but when something isn't working out for whatever reason, quit wasting time with it and move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iSpot.tv still uses .webm which is why I am constantly forgetting and remembering about this file format.

Shame this didn't catch on, but Adobe should still incorporate it as it's used by folks even if in the minority.

Doesn't seem like a big deal if someone like fnordware​ was able to make an import/export solution.

Unfortunately I can't convert the file in Media Encoder or export successfully from Premiere with the latest version of fnordware 's plug-in.

Screenshot_2017-09-05_12_18_29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the screenshot you posted, all I see are errors relating to H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_2017-09-05_16_16_48.png

I am trying to convert the .webm file to an MP4 or a MOV

Getting the same error when I load an .webm file into premiere and try to do an export.

h264 - error type -1610153867

mov - The source file's video stream is not compatible with this preset. Please choose a different preset.

That help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I trust you can see the WebM's video in Premiere/Media Encoder, so it is importing correctly.

H.264 has some limitations on what resolutions you can use, while WebM does not. Maybe that's it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These .webm files are pretty small and MOV doesn't have that kind of size limit.

Importing and scrubbing was fine in premiere but then I could not export. Again, I wasn't trying to export a webm

Wanted to leverage premiere and media encoder to import webm files, edit or convert for a more universal viewing later.

Right now I can only open in Chrome after I have downloaded .webm files.

My case is kind of specific in that I am trying to avoid third party web/applications to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the screenshots you've shown, it does not appear that you are exporting a WebM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can make a more specific thread as I have hijacked this one a bit. My goal isn't to just export WebM files but to be able to ingest WebM and export other files types in addition to WebM

Currently I get an error trying to export imported .webm files as a different file types, even WebM.

Screenshot_2017-09-06_07_41_21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can't export a WebM to an identical WebM? Can you post the file somewhere so I can try it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an audio guy. I use HOWLER JS for audio implementation for mobile. IT uses webm and mp3 as the formats. audio only webm to be specific.

I use iDealShare VideoGO 7 to convert files  ( wav to webm). There are many out there that do it the other way around.. It works pretty good. It's around $50.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's now half way through 2018 but it seems like this is working fine for me:

https://www.easefab.com/video-to-software/webm-to-adobe-premiere.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

just use this plugin https://www.fnordware.com/WebM/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines