• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MOV is NOT supported - STILL??? - Misleading file format compatibility

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the Adobe website clearly indicating they DO import .MOV, it still, after all the complaints, does NOT import this format.  Why does Adobe continue to mislead the public and users on this issue?  Read it yourself:  https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/supported-file-formats.html

• When will this be fixed???!!!
  • If never, take it off your product description

Sure, there're workarounds - that take time and increase file size, but this is ridiculous...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum and no one has a direct line to anyone capable of granting your demand!

That said, MOV, MP4, WMV and other three letter identifiers in video files are different than photo and other files.  They are "containers" and withing them are "codecs".  Premiere Elements tries only to support the codecs that come from common consumer cameras.   That leads to the question of where do you MOV files come from and what is the internal structure.  It would help if you post the "tree" view from the (free) MediaInfo program.  It will display the internal components of the MOV file.  With that information, and the source of the files, there may be an answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bill. An MOV is not one file format but rather a format envelope which can be made up of any of dozens of codecs, resolutions and frame rates from basic DV through H.264 through HEVC to pro formats.

Premiere Elements does indeed edit MOVs. Some of them anyway. MediaInfo will tell us which flavor of MOV you're trying to edit. Open your MOV in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the report that is generated and paste it to this forum. Assuming you're actually looking for help and not merely venting, once we have that information we'll be better able to advise you how to proceed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my name is Tai and I may have the same issue with importing some of my footage into my Premiere Elements.  I get an error message saying that "The importer reported a generic error."

It would be very helpful if you could give me some advice.

General
Complete name : C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Myfootage_1_5.mov
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt )
File size : 4.27 GiB
Duration : 8 min 13 s
Overall bit rate : 74.3 Mb/s
Movie name : Engroup
Description : 1
Encoded date : UTC 2019-10-30 09:45:53
Tagged date : UTC 2019-10-30 09:54:07
Writing library : Apple QuickTime
com.apple.quicktime.publisher : ISO: 22.0
com.apple.quicktime.software : Created with FiLMiC Pro6.10.21057

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L6.1@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate : 74.2 Mb/s
Width : 2 048 pixels
Clean aperture width : 2 048 pixels
Height : 1 152 pixels
Clean aperture height : 1 152 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Clean aperture display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 48.000 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 52.174 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.629
Stream size : 4.27 GiB (100%)
Title : Core Media Video
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Source duration : 8 min 13 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 64.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Channel positions : Front: C
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 3.72 MiB (0%)
Source stream size : 3.72 MiB (0%)
Title : Core Media Audio

Other
Type : tc64
Source duration : 20000
Source frame count : 1
Source stream size : 8
Stream size : 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive just done some testing on this and its the Codec .265 with Dlog-M that doesnt work on this software. Meaning Premiere cant deal with this format.  I have a Mavic 2 drone.  the settings can be change in the App but you lose quality.  This really needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just done some testing on this and its the Codec .265 with Dlog-M that doesn't work on this software. Meaning Premiere cant deal with this format.  I have a Mavic 2 drone.  the settings can be changed in the App but you lose quality.  This really needs to be fixed.  For a brand new piece of video software, its unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. So I need to convert it before I can import it.
Some of the clips were imported fine so I'm guessing my app or my phone changed the codec when I changed the frame rate or the quality.
I will try converting it.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mavic 2 pro and have it set to MOV files.  None of them work in Premiere.  It's such a simple thing to get right yet now I cant use it.  every other oeice of basic editing software I own works fine.  Waste of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree. I understand that codex is just a blah blah blah, but if you're using an iphone to record a video, which is a common smartphone - you should just be able to import to the app like any other video file.  

You shouldn't have to install codex, install quick time, use a converter, etc.  Why not an update with the necessary files?  Anywho - getting off my soap box - spent too much time trying to fix this.  Over. it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I shot it on my iPhone using Filmic pro app, I shot things in different quality and frame rate.
Some of the footage got imported, so I'm guessing my phone or the app changed its codec for some reason. I will buy QuickTime pro and look for the right codec and convert it before I import it.

Thank you for your information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Completely agree! It's really annoying that I cannot edit video from the newest iPhone in one of the coolest video editor (or not one of the coolest then? ;))!

At the same time, I can easily edit it in some open-source fresh editors... Nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic has become confused with a few people with different cameras and different settings.   And, it has not been clear which version of Premiere Elements is being used.   The latest 2020 version does support HEVC/H.265 footage.  (It works on my Windows computer using footage from both an iPhone and Samsung Android phone).   Log shooting with subsequent LUT processing is not part of Premiere Elements plan.  That combination is for "professional" software like Premiere Pro, Resolve or Avid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The confusing part is Elements import mov which is just a container.

Elements does not say which codec it supports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines