Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recommended video card for PE2021

Participant ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been diving into PE2018 and now PE2021 this year like I didn't expect. But alas, in this weird year of 2020, what else is there to do but learn cool new skills. 🙂 I'm a singer and a musician and this year have been learning how to produce virtual choir videos. We're currently on our 9th project. I posted a few days ago some questions about the new Draw tool in PE2021. In this current project, I have 30 tracks for choir singers, 1 for a soloist, and a few more for music, static background image, titles and credits. I have used the Draw tool on 30 of the choir tracks. This is bogging down my PC much more than in previous projects. So, I've a few questions about PCs and video cards. Please let me know if this is not the right forum to post these questions.

As a musician, I build my PCs, optimized for audio work. Here are the specs of my current machine, roughly 5 yrs old: i7 5820K (Haswell E), ASRock X99 Extreme 4 sys board, 32GB DDR4-2132, OS = Win 10, Samsung EVO SSD drives, video card = AMD Radeon HD 5450 (1GB).

I chose the AMD card because it is fanless and thus completely quiet. Great for an audio workstation, but now I'm finding not so great for a video editor. With the AMD card in PE2021, for example, "Use GPU accelerated effects..." in Preferences/General is grayed out, not even selectable.

I plan to build a new PC next year, and would like to know about any special requirements for a video editing machine. Prior to this complete system rebuild, I plan to get a new video card. I know that I won't be able to stay fanless. What are recommendations for video cards for PE2021 and Premiere Pro if I decide to upgrade? What about requirements for the PC itself? Again, if this is not the right forum for these questions, can you suggest another forum? I can also ask in audio/DAW forums (like kvraudio.com).

Thank you, Todd

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Thank you John, those articles are really helpful! I've got some studying to do!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Currently have requests into BHPhoto

I bought all of my components from NewEgg and Amazon, since I am not really familiar with BHP

I do have to agree that the component market is a mess right now due to Covid delays... for my build having to switch to a different motherboard was only a few dollars added to my total, but did allow 3200 ram instead of the 2666 I had originally planned to buy

By buying at 2 places I was able to get everything I wanted 'all at once' but don't be surprised if you have to buy over a period of time... the Covid vaccine will help, but it may not be until the end of this year before things are even mostly back to normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I usually do Newegg and occasionally Amazon. BHPhoto is starting to look pretty good, too, in the computer components area. Better prices on the vid cards and AMD CPUs I want to pick up now, but, alas, all on back order. <sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did some testing with 4k video that I downloaded... I have not tried to 'share' to anything yet, but playing on the timeline works with no delays or artifacts that I can see (my old computer really struggled with 4k) but I'm still not going to buy a 4k camera... not when my target after editing is a DVD to share with family... I'll just be able to edit my current files a LOT faster!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-elements/testing-my-new-build-with-4k-video/m-p/11750996?pag...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines