• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Risky upgrade v 14 to 2018?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Premiere Elements user since six-seven years back in time. No major problems during this years.  I decided today to purchase an upgrade from Premiere Elements 14 to the 2018 version. After that I noticed a LOT OF negative feedback and concerns from users in different forums - based on different reasons regarding slow, poor rendering speed, instable etc  and I am almost afraid of installing it if it can corrupt previous video projects.

I am producing a film and has spent weeks editing that film and must eliminate all kind of risk

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>spent weeks editing that film

General advice is to NEVER upgrade your software in the middle of a project... unless you have a problem and you KNOW that the new version solves that problem... and even then, make a backup in case you need to go back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick reply John. Point taken and I have a backup secured.   But it disturbs me to suddenly get this doubts about the 2018 version and I have approx 50 other previous video projects to take care of.  I have no experiences of problems when opening old video projects from one Elements version to another. And as far as it is possible I want to avoid several installations of different Premiere Elements versions just because of quality issues. If they exist for many users...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PE 10 for years since it came out.  I have no problems with it; however since I also still use Win 7, I want to prepare for a potential move to a newer machine.  The biggest concern/complaint I have with PE 2018 is its lack of support for burning BD discs, and the lack of even very simple disc menus.

I expect to avoid the problems with PE 2018 starting to use  PE 15 that I just received today.

As noted, ALWAYS make backup copies of your .prel files frequently while editing.  And if you insist of trying a older PE version's .prel files with PE 2018 do it ONLY with a COPY of the .prel file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it has been suggested three times here.  But just in case it is not crystal clear, Premiere Elements has never been advertised, claimed or assumed to be backward compatible.   It is not intended that a user open projects from previous versions in newer versions.   Code that supports old features is not the code that provides newer features.

That said, I upgraded to the 2018 version right after it released.  It runs without any trouble or issues.  I use it to edit 4K footage with 4K output.  I no longer use Blue-Ray so don't miss that it has been removed.  If you need it, stick with version 15 or older.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Dont update until you have finished your movie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I can, I'd just like to clarify something.

The mere presence of several versions of Premiere Elements (including version 2018) will NOT corrupt your old projects or cause your computer to run more slowly. Each version is completely independent of the other.

The only danger, as Ann pointed out, is opening an older version project in a newer version of the program. This can corrupt the file.

But, if you finish your project in the same version of the program as you started it, you can have as many versions of the program installed on your machine as you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines