• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Video Results in very poor quality

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am fairly new to Premeire Elements 2018, and I am trying to edit a video that was shot on a phone in "Portrait" mode.  In portrait mode, the top third and bottom third are not important so I don't mind losing/cropping those areas. 

The issue I am facing is that when I scale the video up to put more focus on the middle third, the quality is very bad. 

The video is 1080x1920.  What I am finding is that when I initially set the Scaling setting, the quality is still pretty decent.  Obviously there is some degradation, but it is acceptable.   It is after I click the "Render" button that it becomes very poor.  This is the case with any amount of scaling - even a small amount.  After clicking "Render" it is unwatchable.

I am also familiar with the trick to fill the sides of the frame with a "blurred" copy of the video.  I would still like to scale up a little bit fill more of the frame with the subject.  Is there a way to increase the scale a bit, and still maintain decent image quality?

Thanks

-M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Don't scale more than 110%.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't scale more than 110%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Bob called it. If you're upscaling that 1080x1920 to 1920 wide, you're upscaling by over 175%. No way that's going to look good.

If somebody stuck you with 9:16 footage, here's the solution most broadcasters use:

Using portrait 9:16 phone video in a landscape 16:9 Premiere Elements project - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You slay me.  You always make it look so simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines