Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time Lapse of GoPro Images Not Working

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed this tutorial:

How to Make a Time Lapse Video Tutorial Using a DSLR and Adobe Premiere Elements 10 - Video Dailymot...

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 2018

I imported 100 still images into Premiere Elements 2018 (taken from GoPro time lapse mode)

I selected all images.  Dragged all to Video 1 in time line.

Clicked "Render"

Only thing in the render folder is 100 videos of 00:00 length.  Instead of one rendered video of all the images combined into a time-lapse video.

What is wrong?

How do you make a proper time-lapse move of still images in Premiere Elements 2018???

Photo attached shows the "rendered" output...

Thanks

Time Lapse Fail.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Found the simple solution.  Instead of "Render" I'm supposed to click "Export and Share."

When I click that it "saves" (in my own words) out the file as a video time lapse.  And gives the results I was after.

I thought Render meant to grab everything on the time line and save it as one cohesive video.

But sounds like Render is more for creating preview videos of your work, rather than viewing your work in Premiere, where it might otherwise be choppy. (?)

What does the term "render" mean? and how is it accomplished?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the simple solution.  Instead of "Render" I'm supposed to click "Export and Share."

When I click that it "saves" (in my own words) out the file as a video time lapse.  And gives the results I was after.

I thought Render meant to grab everything on the time line and save it as one cohesive video.

But sounds like Render is more for creating preview videos of your work, rather than viewing your work in Premiere, where it might otherwise be choppy. (?)

What does the term "render" mean? and how is it accomplished?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(On edit:  It appears we were typing simultainously!  Since you found your answer, I could delete what I wrote.  But, since others might read this, I will leave it. )

I don't have a GoPro, so my experience with this is limited.  Most cameras with a time lapse function build the video in the camera.

However, time lapse video can be made in most video editing software with still images.   It works like a slide show with very short display duration.

The basic steps in Premiere Elements:

1. Set the Default Still Image Duration in Preferences.  It will take some math or experimentation based on you project and output settings to figure out the right setting.

2.  Bring the images into the project through Add Media.  Drop them to the timeline.  Pay attention to the naming because they may not be in the sort order you planned.   Some will rename the files with a 001.jpeg, 0002.jpeg, etc sequence.

3.  Play the preview.  The "Render" button may be needed to create a smooth preview.  The "Render" button does not create a final product, it creates preview files for smooth editing.

4.  If you don't like the play rate you can delete all your media and start over with a different Default Still Image Duration.  Or, you can select ALL the images on the timeline and try the Time Stretch (and shrink) tool.

5.  When you like what you see in the project, use Export and Share to process, encode or "render" an playable MP4 file.

Note that the only place the "render" word shows up in Premiere Elements is as a choice to make previews smoother.  The indicator for when that is necessary is either jerky playback or a line above the timeline that is NOT green.

Good luck with your project!  Premiere Elements can make great time lapse videos from a series of stills.  A lot depends on the core strength of the computer.   Resizing and/or cropping in a photo editor may be necessary.   It often turns out that the in camera time lapse shooting is a lot easier.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines