• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with 60i footage

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Premiere Elements 2020 (I didn't see a community for it).  I have some footage shot on a 10+ year old Canon Vixia HF S100.  The camera frame setting was 60i.  The clips are MPEG, codec is AVCHD H.264 4:2:0 and a frame rate of 29.97.  When I play this footage in my previewer (Not Adobe) it plays beautifully.  When I preview it in my timeline, it's jerky as hell and seems to be at 70% speed. I've tried the following project pre-sets:

AVCHD 1080p 60

Full HD 1080i 30 

HD 1080i 30 (60i)

Tried all as drop-frame and non drop-frame

They all seem to reset to HD 1080i as soon as I play any clip in the timeline.  It looks really bad and seems more than just a bit slow in playback.  Is there chance of using this footage?  Is there something that Premiere Pro could do to address this that Elements can't do?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the deal:

Premiere Elements is not the same software as Premiere Prop. Not even close. One of the very few things the two have in common is parts of the interface. Elements, as a strictly amateur program, does not support progressive-field frame rates higher than 30 fps at all. Elements will simply drop every other frame when 60p content is imported, resulting in jerky and stuttery motion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what I stated above, Premiere Elements does not know how to properly handle interlaced footage to begin with. As imported, it always drops every alternate field in the footage, which also results in choppy video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you saying that Premiere Pro should fix my issue?  Again, my footage isn't 60p but 60i (although I know that technically doesn't exist).  Can Premiere Pro handle this footage and play it smoothly at normal speed.  Right now, elements is playing the clips at a slo-mo rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interlaced video will look so much better on broadcast compliant hardware. Premiere Pro works great with 3rd party hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy 1968 - Does your statment mean I would need Premiere Pro along with another 3rd party device?  I'm looking for the simplest, lowest cost solution to my problem.  Will Premiere Pro play my 60i footage smoothly and not at slo-mo no my Dell consumer-level laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viewing interlaced video on broadcast compliant hardware Vs your computer monitor is like night and day. You can drop interlced video into a 60P timeline and it will playback smooth but it will not be as good as 3rd pary hardware on broadcast equipment. You will be able to tell using the Intenisty Shuttle Vs your computer screen. Most broadcasting is done at 1080i. It is nice to be able to show the client what the project would look like on broadcast compliant hardware. You will have dead on color space and a dead on composition as well as super smooth playback. The Intensity Shuttle is discontinued but you can  still find them brand new in the box but that will not last long.

https://amzn.to/3ld8u5H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to Elements forum as that is what you are using.

Please post full setup of your computer and OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As stated, Premiere Elements does not appear to be related to Premiere Pro in anyway at the code level.   That said, I've had not trouble editing 1080p60 or 4K/30 from a couple of Panasonic and Olmpus cameras.   I've also edited HEVC footage from a Samsung phone, but not at 60p.   I don't normally shoot interlaced, but have not had trouble with that when I did try it.   

There are some settings for preview quality, audio hardware and hardware acceleration that may need tweeking.   Be sure default audio input is set to none.  Be sure you use the automatic project set up by having your primary clip be the first on the timeline.  Try different settings for hardware acceleration and preview quality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines