• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Premiere Elements 2019 like a text editor.

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 20+ reels of 8mm film that were digitized by Kodak. Many of the frames need individual editing. I was hoping Premiere would work much like a text editor. Select frames (words) on the timeline by highlighting and then select a tool to cut and paste, lighten or sharpen, change contrast etc. I have been able to do some of the aforementioned editing but only at the beginning or end of the timeline. How do I get to the middle? thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming the format from Kodak is working well, one way is to make cuts in the long clips.  The cut portions can be of any length, but presumably would match the shot in the film footage.  Then the cut section can be adjusted.   At output, the cuts won't be noticed.  

If this is not making sense, I would be happy to post some screen shots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The format is MP4. Each reel was made by splicing smaller reels together. Basically this is digitized 8mm film. Screen shots might help.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you zoom in on your timeline and use the arrow keys on your keyboard, you can move from frame to frame on a video clip. As Bill says, you can isolate segments of your movie by slicing on either side of the segment and then you can apply adjustments or effects to that segment only.

But if you really want to edit each frame individually, you can do that also by outputting your movie as an Image Sequence. Though working one frame at a time is usually something you do to add special effects, as I show you in tutorial.

Using an Image Sequence to create effects in Premiere Elements, part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, So much capability so little time. LOL  I will spend some time studying the process in the video. I really wanted something much easier to use. I will probably never use Premiere again when done with these reels. I do appreciate the feedback and will report back.

Thanks again, Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, if video editing was fast and easy, everyone would do it!

First cut:

Second cut: 

Select and make adjustments:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again WOW, I tried this process. Using an Image Sequence to create effects in Premiere Elements, part 1 of 2 - YouTube After creating 50K still images (LOL) I found that process will probably work plus give access to individual frames. I wish my originals were in as good of shape as the YouTube example.  Hopefully when I stich them all back together it will look good.

Thanks again to Steve and whsprague.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully understand.

But for the record, the program IS easy to use -- except when you're doing something advanced with it. There really is not program that can automatically spot fix video problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines