Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Proxies in Premiere Elements 16

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently purchased a Phantom 4 Pro capable of 4k 4096 x 2160

Unfortunately it's too demanding for my Premiere Elements 16. (I'm using intel i7-7500, 8GB ram, 2GB GPU, 225 SSD)

Adobe tech support solution was to covert the files to 1080 - not acceptable in my opinion so I've been looking for other alternatives

I've found this post

Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10

But I'm having trouble following it for Premiere Elements 16. I've also noticed that Pro offers an ingest function that unfortunately PE doesn't.

Any assistance is welcome. Ideally I want to be able to work with a proxy in elements and avoid having to convert all my videos for editing.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Premiere Elements 16, I assume you mean Premiere Elements 2018. There is no version 16 of the product.

Premiere Elements can certainly edit 4K video if it's an XAVC MP4 -- 3840x2160.

Are you sure of your video's resolution? That's a pretty non-standard resolution.

Also, when you first add your video to your timeline, do you see a yellow orange "render" line above the clip? This is an indication that the program is not matching its project settings to your video, which can result in poor and inefficient performance.

RenderLine.jpg

There are a number of reasons the program may not be matching project settings to your video specs. One is if your video is non-standard (which is why I asked you to confirm your video's resolution). Another is that there is an element in your video we need to address (like a variable frame rate or a dependence on a Apple codec component). And we're glad to help you troubleshoot that if you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

I'm going to need your help to troubleshoot this please.

Yes, it's Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 (version 16 under the Help>About menu)

I don't always get the orange yellow line. Here's a scenario:

These are the settings for a video file that will import without error and when I drag it to the timeline I DO get the orange render line:

4096x2160.JPG

These are the settings for a video file that does not give me an orange render line:

3840x2160.JPG

Here are the project settings:

settings.JPG

I'm aware this contradicts what you said above about non-standard resolution but I've checked multiple times, I definitely have it the right way around.

Despite all that, it would be good to work with lower res videos for quick editing and composing and still have the option to export a finished product at a higher res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually 4096 x 2160 is 4K

3840x2160 is UHD but Elements and other NLE call it 4K or 4KHD.

Proxy editing means converting the footage to a nicer editing format.

When finished editing, swap out the proxies for the original.

But then you will be back to square one: E2018 cannot handle the footage.

Drone footage is highly compressed. Even PrPro has a hard time dealing with it even with a powerfull machine. Hence the proxy feature.

So converting to 1080p is not such a bad idea but the catch is converting the 4K to 1080p requires other software.

Elements does not have a batch converting feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines