Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what format to save in for youtube

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with what format to save a video in for youtube. my videos are pixelating when watching them on youtube. they are fine when i am working in premiere elements 9.

thank you

here is a sample of the problem

Episode 2 Appreciation for happiness - YouTube

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that does not play well!

What is the format you are shooting in?  What is the camera?  What are your project settings?  What are your output settings. 

Ideally you will be shooting, editing and uploading consistently.   1920x1080 at 60 frames per second progressive works well for me.

Not knowing more about what you are doing, my first guess is that you are using interlaced footage or output.  

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Bill for replying,

The footage is coming from several different sources, the first shot of the horses eye is shot on a Sony HVR A1P ,,,HDV 1080

Then the video on the horse is on an iphone, not in the highest setting 1440 x 1080 25fps is what i had as the settings? so what you are saying is i have footage from different sources that is not helping this problem, and i have the incorrect settings? Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are too many variable to be sure of what to suggest.   You have an old camcorder and old software.  The iPhone is new and YouTube has standards different from 7 years ago when you software was current.

Someone may have experience with that, but I don't.  I suspect that the Sony is recording in interlaced that was intended for broadcast systems.  YouTube is digital and progressive is expected. 

The key footage is from the iPhone.  So try to set up a project to match the iPhone footage.  That may be hard, because version 9 is so old it may be a mismatch for the iPhone.   Then output with settings to match.  Make sure the output footage plays well on your computer.  If not, try other settings.  If it does, then put it on YouTube.

Make short tests with small sections minimize lost time.

If this doesn't work, we can try some of the "nerdy, geeky" stuff with media specifications, screen shots of settings and maybe even sending me some clips to try in later software.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

ok, so i am just uploading premiere elements latest version, to eliminate that problem, and i will do some test uploads and see if any of that helps. thank you thank you for taking the time to reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with the latest version, the setting have to be right. 

A big difference between version 9 and 2018 is how the project is set.  It has changed so that the right settings for the footage are created automatically when you slide the first clip to the timeline.  That means you probably want to start with the iphone footage, then later put the camcorder footage in front. 

There is also some standardized output workflows for YouTube. 

Good luck and have fun!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill.

hope you are going good.

ok so I have the new 2018 version of premiere elements, I am now going to film my footage from my iphone 8, however I dont know what settings to actually make the video in to begin with both on the Iphone, and then in premiere when creating a new project? there is NTSC, AVCHD, PAL and the list goes on. any recommendations?

Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have any Apple products.  This comes from the Apple iPhone8 web spec page.

The standard for HD screens is 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps.  PAL is Europe and NTSC is USA.  Better is 4K video recording at 24 fps, 30 fps, or 60 fps if you have that kind of TV. 

The project settings should match and should be set automatically when you start the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines