• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Can't Premier Elements 9 Open .prel files in Windows 10?

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have .prel pictures on a flash drive and Adobe Premiere Elements 9 on my Windows 10 computer.  The pictures won't open because they are "the wrong kind of file."  How can I view my .prel files?  File Viewer Plus can't open them either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that the .prel file won't open or that the pictures won't open? Because those are two very different things.

Also, do you know for sure that this .prel file was created by version 9? You can't open .prel files created by other versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

Are you opening the .prel file from Premiere Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding.

This is what happens: I open Premiere Elements. Then I open the prel picture. It opens up Photoshop. The message from Photoshop says “Can’t open (prel file) because it is the wrong type of file”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to either File > Open from Premiere Elements or change the file associations in Windows:

change+the+file+associations+in+Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pictures I am looking for are on a USB flash drive. They have a .prel association. I have Premiere Elements open. Photoshop is closed. When I click on the picture to open it, instead of its opening in Premiere Elements as I would think it should do, the Photoshop program opens up with the little message that it cannot open the picture because it is the wrong type. Now how does that work?

By the way, I’m using the same Adobe version 9 programs that were used initially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps in your workflow are confusing.

My version is to open Premiere Elements then, to open and existing .prel project, I'll use the File menu.

Then if you want to open/add "pictures" to the project, you use the Add Media dialog.

If you have .prel project files on a flash drive, that may not work.  In most cases the .prel files should be on the primary C: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Not+Mary  wrote

When I click on the picture to open it, instead of its opening in Premiere Elements as I would think it should do, the Photoshop program opens up with the little message that it cannot open the picture because it is the wrong type.  Now how does that work?

As I posted in my previous response, click this link:

change+the+file+associations+in+Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind. I give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A .prel is not a picture of video file. It is a Premiere Elements project file. It definitely should NOT open up Photoshop! And Photoshop can not open .prel files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines