• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss : Nvidia Hardware Accelerated Encode for H264/HEVC

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest Adobe Premiere Pro Beta build we have enabled Hardware Accelerated Encoding through Nvidia GPU card.

If you have Nvidia GPU card on your Windows machine, you will be able to use this feature.

To enable this option, select H.264/HEVC from the Format drop-down under Export Settings. Then under the Video tab, go to Encoding Settings and set the Performance to Hardware Encoding. Setting it to Software Encoding will disable hardware encoding and Adobe Premiere Pro won't use Nvidia HW to encode the media. Please see attached screenshot.

Feature is enabled in Adobe Premiere Pro Beta , Adobe Media Encoder Beta and Adobe Premiere Rush.

Please try out the feature and share your feedback.

enable_hardware_encoding.jpg

[Image embedded by mod]

TOPICS
Feedback , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Hi Everyone,

Nvidia Encode support is now available in the released (non-Beta) versions of:
- Media Encoder 14.2
- Premiere Pro 14.2
- Premiere Rush 1.5.12

Thank you to all for your feedback during the Feature Development. 

Thanks

Brajesh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you have both quick sync and nvidia on ones machine.

What if for some reason you cannot disable intel.

Which one will be used and on what critria is that choice based.

BTW the latest AME 14.2 wont open: application wont start correctly (0x0000142). Fixed: added to ransomware protection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a quick test. Hardware Nvidia was 3 times faster then software encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its fine my answer was set as correct but that does not answer my question in earlier post.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to imply testing was a correct answer. 🙂 Still looking for a definitive ruling, on which GPU we'd prioritize. 

Also, AME not opening would be a _great_ topic to start, in the AME forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, AME not opening would be a _great_ topic to start, in the AME forum. 

There is no link to the forum in the AME beta program. At least I cannot find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann, please follow this link for Adobe Media Encoder Beta community : https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-media-encoder-beta/bd-p/media-encoder-beta?page=1&sort=latest_r...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you  have both Intel and Nvidia on same machine, Nvidia will be used. You don't need to disable Intel, it will automatically chose Nvidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brajesh,

I've been using previous version of PP before (example 14.1) where I would still use Hardware Acceleration BUT it would be using Intel's Quicksync instead.

After the 14.2 update, I haven't seen an option where either I can pick which GPU to use or how to disable PP from using the UHD. I export my files and the render times have not drastically changed, nor do i see my GTX GPU being used to it's max as it is with other people. 

How can I go about making sure PP uses my GTX GPU instead of the Intel UHD Quicksync? It's been using both UHD and GTX but not at 100%. 

I don't know how to "turn off" quicksync, it's always been just automatic. 

My BIOS does not have an option to "disable UHD/Graphics".

System:

I7-9750H with Intel UHD Graphics 630

GTX 1660ti with studio driver 442.92

Windows and other drivers are all up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed both my Intel graphics processor and Nvidia GPU were being used during video export. It turns out the Nvidia GPU was being used for encoding and the Intel graphics were used for decoding.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This already occurs when you're doing CPU encoding, but it's a nice synergy isn't it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct behaviour. Decode is still happening on Intel and Encode is happening on Nvidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please add decoding on the GPU? This will eliminate my need to gernerate proxy files. DaVinci Resolve supports decoding H.264 media. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

asaf b,

The way you do that is to create a feature request or upvote an existing request on Uservoice. Here are a range of requests you can upvote. Don't see one that fits what you want? Create a new one.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and its much more important then encoding too!
resolve is able to edit MULTICAM 4K HEVC smoothly on my 1070 / 6700hq laptop, but premiere can only edit using Proxy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with all of you. This feature will really help so many people. I shoot on Panasonic DVX200 cameras. The 4K H.264 4:2:0 files are almost impossible to scrub with Premiere Pro without any GPU decoding. Totally agree with Viktor it will be a HUGE! game changer. The proxy files take up so much space and i'm sitting all day having to render proxies. When Resolve can do it natively so well and even FCP X on the Mac side.

Please Adobe work on this and get it to the video editing community as soon as possible - we can't wait :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello asafblasberg,

this already exists as free plugin supporting Nvidia GPUs GTX10xx and upwards (Pascal and higher) if you want HEVC support. You can find the free plugin in the Adobe Exchacnge (look for Daniel2 or Turbocut) or at www.turbocut.com or www.daniel2.com

This is for Windows 10 64bit only. No Mac support for Nvidia decoding.

On my XPS15 with GTX1050 editing with HEVC UHD material is multiple times faster and so is the export as the HEVC decoding of the Nvidia NVDEC is at least twice as fast as Intel's Quicksync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i tried it, but i couldn't get it to work. I have Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti card. Either the plug-in was not installed correctly (but i used the EXE) and Premiere did find your plug-in correctly... can you test on your end with 1080 card?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i fixed the issue -- yes i tried it now and the plug in *does* work. It really is amazing.. OMG! I was able to do a multicamera playback (3 cameras) at 4k 30p using Nvidia gtx 1080ti card...

the only time it started to really drop frames is when i tried 3 cameras at 4k 60p, which i know is asking for a HUGE amount of GPU processing power... i wonder if the rtx 2080ti card would improve the performance, but i'm very impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cinegy Dev,

please tell me, to have the gpu benefits and speed up playback operations like scrubbing, (or playback)

you first need to encode the original footage in turbocut codecs?

Also are panasonic GH5 6K files supported to work without frame loss?

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Davide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also add decoding on Nvidia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the discrete GPU decoding is also added then this will be a game changer of how we edit videos -

no more proxies in 90% of cases. This will save a lot of time and some space. Typical Intel decoding is not so good at 4K as we know it, especiallay at timeline scrubbing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Viktor, 

as mentioned below. You can have Nvidia GPU decoding for faster H.264 and HEVC editing today. It is available as free plugin (for Windows 10 64bit) only either via the Adobe Exchange portal -> Daniel2 plugin or get it directly at www.turbocut.com

You can also just search on Youtube with the keywords Turbocut and Premiere and you will find videos of people that have successfully tried it. It helps a lot if you have a machine with 4 to 12 CPU cores and a recent Nvidia card (e.g. GTX1050 or higher). If you have a monster machine (16 core or more), the benefit of having Nvidia GPU decoding is less noticable - other than the CPU fans revving less high and according to my PSU power reading 20W and more power consumption when using the CPU over the Nvidia hardware decoder.

So if you want to save power and reduce your global CO2 footprint - use Nvidia GPU decoding. Not a big difference but 20W are a good number of LED light bulbs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Great news! I have expected the least for it to happen today - the NVDEC decoding in Premiere! Whoa! There is a slight problem - my Sony A7SII 4K H264 footage imports with no sound - but the decoding speed is amazing. Will test more tomorrow. 

Thank you for releasing it! It's so cool actually...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources