• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to export transcription as a text file

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying out the new text transcription in the Premiere Beta. 

Is there a way to export transcibed text as a text file?

So far it works as expected, but I would like to find a way to export the transcrption as a text file - eg so that I can make use of it in writing scripts and so on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to beta forum:

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the provide feedback button inside Premiere and request a feature.  Since there is no easy way to export clean transcribed text as a text file, request it. Let Adobe know you want and need this in your editing workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet, but based upon feedback, we are working on it. We hope to have an option soon.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look what showed up in build 27 today. Thank you Dev Team!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.09.02 PM.png

The export to text file worked for me, but the Export transcript menu option needs some work. It won't save as a text file or allow me to change the file name or extension when the save as dialog opens up.  I fully understand this is a work in progress. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.07.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, being able to export text in a Premiere transcript to a basic text file would be a huge benefit. For now, all I get is some weird garbled .prtranscript format which I can't find any app to read. 

A related feature I'd love to see is to be able to *import* a transcript (often a narrator script) and then have Premiere use that to analyze to synch it up, and then create captions from that. Currently, I'm stuck with Premiere's own transcription (which is surprisingly good but not perfect) and having to correct it within Premiere, which is pretty inefficient ... all the while having a perfectly accurate script open in Word in another window. 

Finally, I appreciate the many languages that are supported! I just used it for a project in Portuguese. Again, would've been nice to import the actual Portuguese script to use for the captions ... but Premiere's transcription was close enough to make it not-too-time-consuming. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw that there's an "Export to Text File" option under the 3 dots ... but it's grayed out for now in my version (Mac, 15.1.0 Build 48)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with your points Dan - I've tested out transcription in the same beta and I'm pretty impressed.  Exporting/printing it out will be a real boost.

I am super curious to see how Premiere handles matching timecode in the transcription to the clip or the sequence though.  I find so many services limit you to sequence timecode which starts to lose it's real usefulness for me once I'm deep into an edit for a doc feature or series.  It'd be great to see it attached to the particular clip - in the transcript AND transcript window...  That's the real gamechanger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've probably fixed this issue by now but I just found a solution so want to add it for people searching in the future..

I just ran into the same issue where I wanted to export the transcript as a text file but the option to do so was greyed out. If you hit Create captions, let it create the timings, then go back to Transcript, it's no longer greyed out and you can export the clean transcript as a text file (I always need to do sidecar files with and without timings so I love that this is now possible). It seems that it'll be greyed out if you try to export the transcript BEFORE creating captions/transcript with timing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, text file transcript export works for me now! I haven't noticed if I had to create captions first, but it's now a great feature either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spomeniks,

I found the same: transcribe and do not create captions, and the "Export to text file" is greyed out.

However, create a caption track (not from the transcript) and add only one caption; the "Export to text file" is active. And what it exports is the same as it exports if I export it after creating a caption track from the transcript.

Makes me think this is a bug rather than intentional.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes!! Uploading a pre-existing script to then tweak and assign to captions would be AMAZING!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! That would "seal the deal" and every documentarian/editor on the planet would love Adobe forever. Nonetheless, THANK YOU! I've used Premiere since v.1 in the 90's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to export out a 2-column text file that looks much like the transcription window in Premiere looks like. Speaker name and timecode on the left, transcription on the right.

That would be SUPER helpful!! 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nailed it JudPratt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea the export to text works for me in the beta, but not in the normal 2021. It is great, though I also wish it had the speakers listed as well instead of just the text.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now thought of a temporary (but painstaking) workaround for very short pieces only

1) take screenshots (shift + command + 4) of the transcript section by section that has the times and names

2) paste your screenshots in order into a blank PDF in Acrobat DC

3) have Acrobat turn your screenshots into editable text 

4) then edit to taste

Just an idea perhaps, until "the real thing" comes along

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this! I would LOVE to have timecode included in the text file. This would make it so much easier to find the clips the client has chosen, based on the text file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculous having to use workaround, but brilliant that you thought of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources