• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Dynamic Link Breaks

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the 2021 update, every time I go to After Effects and back to Premiere, every single dynamic link for every composition pertaining to my project breaks. This isn't just exiting and restarting the program (which should no doubt be fine anyways) but by simply hitting save on After effects and switching the window back to premiere.

This bug is absurd as the compositions need to be re-linked every time and is massively infuriating.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
58 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been like this for ages ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem since some time before the 2021 update, started months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I've noticed now, is that the link doesn't always break when you're in the premiere project, but as soon as you open up after effects to pick up where you left off, the problem persists once you click save in after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm constantly relinking the project.

update:

…and I've already solved it in my case, turns out that when Adobe updated the AE application it left the old one, and that was causing confusion. I deleted 2020 app and all is fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started using Premiere 2021, and had this problem start straight away.

I never had this issue before now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Major instabiltiy in dynamic link in the new versions. I have this bug and others that is making dynamic link borderline unusable. Any project with a dynamic link cranks up a background AE process to 100% CPU even when the playhead is parked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually wiped my iMac and reinstalled everything including the OS. Seems to be working well actually. Not the workaround people want to hear but it has worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Randomly an entire AE-project full of links breaks in Premiere. Easy to re-link, but a massive PITA to have to do it all the time. Seems to be a new issue with AE2021 and PP2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. In update 15.4, it was fixed. I checked it myself and did a Promo in conjunction with AE. The dynamic link works and is interrupted as it was before. I have been going back to the project in Premiere for several days now and the link is always active and there is no need to link with AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the most recent versions of both After Effects and Premiere and this is still happening. Like others, when both are open and I save a linked file in AE, the links are broken in Premiere. Adobe, please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brooks O'Kelley, Hello.
Everything should be fine in the latest version 15.4 Premier. I personally tested it. Why you can't do it, most likely different versions of Premiere and After Effects. Check on the official Adobe website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this problem, both Premiere and AFX in most recent forms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated today and having the same issue, running Premiere 15.4.1 and Ae 18.4.1 on MacOS 10.15.7. Just discovered that closing Premiere and re-opening it re-finds the links and is fine, so save in Ae, breaks in Premiere, restart premiere it searches and finds everything fine. It's a workaround but not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround for this is mainly to make sure you are using the exact same original AE file, as in don't rename it when making different versions, make a copy when you feel like you need to create versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem and it's really annoying.

What OS are you using? I have the feeling, that Big Sur changed some things in the security settings. So maybe it has something to do with it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using big sur, the problem didn't seem to persist for some time but then showed up again, usually when the AE file has a lot of compositions

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to CC premier 2022 and now any time I save an Aftereffect file, it breaks all the dynamic links in Premier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem. I wasted an entire day trying to figure out why my very big project wouldn't open. I ended up opening a new project, opening the existing project inside. This then showed me all the dynamic links that were hanging the original. I deleted all the dynamic links and the project opens. I re-imported all the dynamic links and rebuilt the timelines. This was a 2 day loss.
All was good until this last update (2022), now it is all PENDING again!
It is extremely frustrating to be charged $1000 for this software and then lose more money because it is buggy!
FIX YOUR S%IT ADOBE!!!! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have updated to the latest versions as of November 2021 (22) and is extremely frustrating. Huge time waster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still happening and has been for way too long. Adobe, please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insanely annoying... everything was fine up until CC 2022 and now it feels like amateur hour every time I open a project. This seems like basic s**t for them to fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue and it simply slows down my workflow which leads to longer work times and essentially costs users and clients money since work can't get done. This really needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here! So annoying. Send help

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This began happening to me as soon as I cleared my media cache in premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is really annoying! Why hasn't it been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate