• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BMD Desktop Video causing Premiere Pro to Freeze Playback

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my facility we have a number of PCs that are running Premiere 2024 and Black Magic desktop 12.7.1. We have been encountering a bug that only happens when transmit is enabled. With transmit enabled, Premiere will randomly, yet consistently, stop playing video in the program monitor, view and external display.  We can move clips around, drag the play head, but no video will update. The only way to get video to play again is to reboot Premiere.
Premiere Pro 24.0.0
BMD Desktop Video 12.7.1
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
HP Z4 G4 Workstation
i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 10 Core(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Jeffrey Di Lullo

Lead Content Creator

LCBC Church

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Interoperability or 3rd party tools , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
41 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, what BMD devices are you using, with that 12.7.1 driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Decklink 4k SDI 

Ultras Studio

Decklink 8K Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't have this issue when using Pr 23.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming: You're seeing the same/similar behavior, across numerous BMD devices, all using BMD 12.7.1 drivers, and all using PPro 24.0, on Win11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct and on Windows 10 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing this so far with an ultra studio 4k mini.  @Jeff-LCBC Video, can you please post screen shots of your playback prefs and audio hardware prefs?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-11-15 115815.png

Screenshot 2023-11-15 115827.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with a similart build. No problem in 23.5 but started to be unusable with 23.6, then 24.

Premiere Pro 24.0.0
BMD Desktop Video 12.7.1
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Asus proart Z790
i9-13900K
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 192 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Decklink extreme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe it's an issue on BM side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may, though unlikely. Resolve works great with the decklink. Adobe 23.5 worked great with the decklink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gigowatt, 

On the systems that experience these issues, are you using normal (local) OS user accounts, or Active Directory? 

Also, you're right; if the only difference between 'no issue' and 'issues' is upgrading from PPro 23.5 to 23.6, then it's unlikely to be a BMD issue (though such things have happened). 

Our team is already testing a project from Jeffrey (thanks!), and have so far no been able to reproduce any issue. 

While the GPU driver shouldn't impact playback as described, I note that you're both using NVidia GeForce devices; are your drivers current? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your message.

I use a local account (standalone PC).

I tried a number of Nvidia versions (only studio ones). I'm currently running 537.85.

I tried quite a few things : Fresh install (win10), bmd drivers, nvidia drivers.

Tried to copy/paste the project into a new 2024 project. All to no avail.

edit : I started a brand new project. Put just 2 assets in - 1 video track dnxhr mxf , 1 audio track 5.1 pcm. I just had the same problem scrubbing the one track ! So I think it is not project dependant or codec dependant (I usually run h264 or prores).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues. I'm going back to 23.5 and see if I can edit without if freezing constantly. Disabling mercury transmit, is the only thing that would fix it, but then I don't have SDI output for my broadcast monitor.

I have an AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT with the pro version driver.

AMD Ryzen 5600X 6-croe processor and 32gb of ram. Windows 10

I hope you can figure something out.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I hope you can figure something out.

We've been trying, but so far we've been able to reproduce the behavior. 

Multiple testers have used a variety of BMD devices (always current drivers) on a variety of Win10 and Win11 systems; no luck. 

Jeff says that, regardless of audio output settings, his systems reliably encounter the behavior with ~5 minutes of editing. 

If anyone on the thread can provide us with step-by-step instructions which reliably generate the behavior, please let us know

Note: "Just edit for a while and it'll happen" has proven fruitless; more specifics needed. 🙂 

We'll keep pursuing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the decklink mini monitor 4k 12.7.1

I've install 23.5 loading up a project, it is rebuilding because I deleted all the cashe files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce, I find a reliable way to trigger the issue is moving quickly between the ripple/role or the trim tool and hitting the space bar to preview. Unfortuantly, this doesn't trigger it everytime, but I know if I'm deliberate in my key strokes it will take longer for the issue to crop up, but it will always, 100% of the time, happen if I have transmit turned on. 

Also, I'm running 546.01 Nvidia Studio driver and BMD 12.7.1 (thought the issue started under earlier versions of the drivers.)

When we have the issue appear, are there any log files that we can save and send to you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have the same problem, with approximativly the same configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good testing tips, thanks Jeff! 

No, there are no relevant log files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After switching back to 23.5 it has been completley stable no freezing no issues. 

For me it would happen if I would start to jump around the timeline too quickly, or trimming then hitting the space bar quickly. Dragging with control key pressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis Today I was editing for about 20 minutes today and I triggered the bug. The way in which it triggered was via playing through a timeline at high speed. I used the keyboard to do my playback speed change (tapping L). 

I also changed my audio hardware output to be my BMD decklink 8k.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 102935.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the further testing details! 

We think we were able to replicate the behavior yesterday; QE are working with developers, to isolate/confirm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

Any news ?

The sound change on my machine is not working (I'm in ASIO), but disabling mercury transmit stops the problem. It is a bad solution though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing firm to report; developers are working with QE, narrowing down the steps to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case helpful, I wanted to let you all know that there's already another thread about this same issue....

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/premiere-pro-24-continual-freezing-requiring-restar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks,  just wanted to let you know where we are with this.  We have two different repro's in house at the moment.  On older hardware, we can repro pretty much as described above.  On newer hardware we can still get a freeze, but it is recoverable, and restarting PPro is not required.  In both cases it appears to have something to do with the timming of starting playback after an edit is made as Jeff described.  So far I can't repro this if I take a beat before I trigger playback.  Not a very good workaround I know, but I am curious if others experiece the same result.  We are currently having the engineers looking at this and will update when we find out more, but any new data will of course be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate