• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug: Using Export Frame on clips with proxies (even if proxies not toggled), results in low res JPG

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Export Frame on any clip with a proxy attached (even if proxies not active) results in JPGs and PNGs in the proxy-resolution. This seems to happen at random.

During some troubleshooting, oddly it seemed to matter which window (ie Program, Timeline, etc..) was active (highlighted in blue) but this actually reversed between different projects, and ultimately using Export Frame results in low-res and full-res frame grabs at random.

Clips that don't have proxies don't seem to have this issue.

Native media in my examples were .mxf and .mp4
--- Adobe Creative Suite CC 2020 v 14.7.0 Build 23 Mac Pro, Late 2013 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage 64GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC - 2 x 16GB, Dual AMD FirePro D700 w/6GB GDDR5 VRAM each
TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Hello @mberna,

Thanks for the message. It’s been a long time since you filed this bug. I apologize for the lack of a response. Are you still having this issue? It looks like a dev marked this bug as "Started," so I'm wondering.

I'll move your post to the Discussions board while we await your information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stills from Frame Export on clips with proxies resulted in different resolution, doing same action
--- Adobe Creative Suite CC 2020 v 14.7.0 Build 23 Mac Pro, Late 2013 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage 64GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC - 2 x 16GB, Dual AMD FirePro D700 w/6GB GDDR5 VRAM each

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same bug here. No matter if proxies are enabled or not, the result is a blurry export of the frame in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same problem here. It's really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. With all settings unchanged, multiple exports yield different results - sometimes the exported frame uses Proxy media, sometimes original media. The only way to get consistently accurate frame grabs is to actually unlink the proxy media in the project. Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Hello Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Is there any fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. It's random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case:
Videos with proxy: when proxy is off, then export frame results in a poor image, when proxy is on, then export frame is ok. It is exactly the reversed as it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug persists, despite there being at least one update between when the issue was first reported and now. Then again, most bugs go unresolved for years, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very random occurrences of this and very frustrating. Kills my workflow when I'm having to try the export frame action over and over only to hope it randomly will start working. I use export frame daily to grab images for video thumbnails, this is a constant problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. FRUSTRATING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a 30-minute fix for any competent dev. Why is it still a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if the proxy toggle is enabled and you do an export, you will have a few frames in that export that include the WATERMARK INTO THE EXPORT. This is totally unacceptable.

edit: A workaround for now, is that it appears to work fine capturing still frame PNGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since chances that Adobe will actually fix this are slim to none, thought I'd share what has been working for me most of the time. Find the frame you want to export and then make sure you have the timeline area/window selected. With the timeline window selected, then click the export frame button below the program monitor. For me, this seems to get an exported frame from the full res media most of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be finally fixed for me with Premiere 15.4.0!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe! Fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here.
This Workaround was the quickest and most consistent for me while exporting stills from the source monitor:
1. Enable proxies
2. Export still
3.Disable Proxies
4.Export still

This way at least one of the two was in full resolution, sometimes even both.
I did it this way for all stills, so basically double the work plus deleting half of them afterwards.

Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still have problems with this all the time. To think, this is supposed to be professional software 😑

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue with v22 🙄
The PNG export workaround also seems to not be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current workaround is to just detach proxies for all files in the bin - do my frame exports and reattach proxies. seems to be the most reliable and quickest way for doing lots of frame exports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have this problem, export in png instead of jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also a problem if you have Rec.709 proxies and Log master footage. If I want to export a still to showcase, say, a temporary color grade, it applies the effect to the Rec.709 proxy footage and exports that, even if I have proxies turned off in the viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines