• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make proxies automatically get the correct aspect ratio

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When proxies have a different aspect ratio from the original, it creates all kinds of problems when scaling, aligning and positioning clips.

It seems like in 2018 it should be possible for Premiere to read the aspect ratio of each original clip, and auto-match it.
Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Hi @Kevin-Monahan 
Since we've now gotten new Proxy sizes that's not "medium", "small" etc. – but "half res", "quarter res" etc., I think we'll run into the issue a lot less. I don't really know if making the proxies in a thrird-party app would still cause any problems, but at least for those of us who make our proxies in Premiere Pro, this is no longer an issue. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are some technical difficulties involved with this one... but yes... having proxies at the wrong scale has caused me many problems, and resulted in me hardly using the feature.

While it may be difficult to create proxies in any given resolution, it should not be too difficult for those proxies to automatically stretch themselves into the correct aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I would like to simply put my desired width (I make most of my proxies 1920) and have it automatically scale the height accordingly. If there's an extra row of pixels, just crop them, or offer the user suggestions on the next closest evenly divisible resolution.

This is what I do manually anyway, and once I do it for my main cameras (GH5 and GH5s) I don't have to do it again, but still a pain to figure out and create a new preset every time I edit footage from a new camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a HUGE +1 to this request. I don't want to have to think about what aspect ratio my footage is when making a proxy. For anyone experiencing this, I wrote a quick blog post featuring a few free custom ingest presets for common aspect ratio to help with this issue, hope it comes in handy: https://meetmichaelhenry.com/blog/2019/10/5/creating-proxies-for-footage-of-any-aspect-ratio-in-prem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wekl??? its been long enough still waiting

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxy creation in Premiere & ME is a nightmare, even in the 2022 version! It gets everything wrong from framerate to aspect ratio.. It should be automatic!

Please add a feature where we can change frame size to 50% 25% or specify a width or height and the aspect ratio and framerate are automatically calculated correctly while making proxy files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the export dialogue from Premiere already includes a "crop to fit" option, why can't this be a checkbox in the preset settings??? Adobe +1 FAIL

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is impossible to count on - visually my scale settings were completely off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job, Adobe 👏 Good to see a company is making things easier for its users 👏 This has been a problem for how long now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jarle Leirpoll,

How's it going, brother? Is this still an issue after the recent update, Jarle? Please let the community know. I suspect that this is still the case but wanted an update from you.

Sorry for the lack of a response from the product team.

Thanks,.
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kevin-Monahan 
Since we've now gotten new Proxy sizes that's not "medium", "small" etc. – but "half res", "quarter res" etc., I think we'll run into the issue a lot less. I don't really know if making the proxies in a thrird-party app would still cause any problems, but at least for those of us who make our proxies in Premiere Pro, this is no longer an issue. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the clarification, my brother!

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate