• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2024 Ripple Delete Freezes Everything

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue i'm having with Premiere Pro 2024, as I have just updated my software. It seems that ripple deleting has just been absolutely blown out in this version, or at least for my project file. 

I use "Q" and "W" to ripple delete footage. It does this action but the playhead will stay at the last spot it was at for about 10 seconds, my PC fans will roar up, then the playhead goes back to it's expected spot at the cut I made. I have a pretty good system and it's NEVER done this before today and it's becoming an absolute PAIN and quite literally UNUSABLE. It'll work when ripple deleting around 1-3 seconds of footage but then starts lagging when ripple deleting anything over 10 seconds.

And please, don't suggest the "revert back to old version" as a "f i x". Project files cannot be reverted back to older years of Premiere.

PC specifications:
GPU: RTX 3070
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: 32GB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

I tested with the 24.2.1 Mac version and the bug seems to be fixed.  That's good news!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 119 Replies 119
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the same issue. And the created project don't open on previous releases.
Wonderful experience with a complete project locked for this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, it only happens when working with longer videos. The program will freeze for around 10 seconds everytime I try to ripple delete on the timeline before unfreezing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expericed and posted about issues with the Q and W ripple delete. I asked if they changed the shortcut because it didn't seem to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to provide a screen recording of the issue? Also, are you able to reproduce with a Project where all media is Offline? If so, could you provide us with an Offline Project? 

For any users on Mac, when you run into this issue, could you provide a Sample and Spindump?

How to get a Sample Process or Spindump | macOSAdobehttps://helpx.adobe.com › photoshop › how-to-get...

All of this will help us in investigating the issue.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening on every project that has over 500 gb of footage binned. Even if I'm using small snippets from those larger videos (all 422, all running on 7300mb/s NVME 4tb drives) it will lock up on ripple delete for at least 10 seconds. same thing goes for the track select forward tool. On smaller timelines with minimal footage it won't be an issue. only on projects with larger amounts of A/B roll. I've had to take my current projects and split them into 6 separate projects because it just CANNOT handle having a certain amount of files imported into the project which is ridiculously tedious. I've reinstalled the program, reset prefs, caches, tried different video drivers, etc. no luck. Seems to be relatively new to PR 23 and above, and more so worse in 24. I don't know why simply move clips around the timeline causes so much stress. barely uses up any cpu/gpu but will completely lock of a session up to a minute if it's large enough. Seems to directly scale with the file sizes loaded into the project. (not necessarily active files, just ones that are imported)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, its so annoying. Halfed the amount og gb imported, but the issue proceeds but instead og 10 sec now its just 5. Still a big pain tbh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are either of you able to reproduce this issue with offline media?

Or, if you are on a Mac, would it be possible to provide us with a Sample and Spindump when the issue occurs?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi128S7pKGCA...

Both would help out in investigating the issue. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been some Timeline performance improvements made in our current Premiere Pro 24.2 Beta (build 25+). We're curious if anyone here could try out the latest 24.2 Beta and let us know if it resolves your issues. It is available on Creative cloud under Beta apps.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm editing a video and suddenly I am unable to simply cut or resize then click the gap to whiten it and press delete to remove the gap and snap the two other parts. The problem happens on both audio and video, and I only had 1 track of each at first attempts.

I also can't right-click then Ripple Delete nor use the Sequence option to close the gaps.

I did not change any settings, this never happened before. I tried several tips from other posts but none helped at all. This is so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: I tried to disable Toggle Sync Lock, disable source patching, locking other layers, resetting all settings. Nothing resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver).

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for you detailed response. Unfortunately, none of the steps above worked, and I tried every single one, as well as an hour-long remote support from Adobe, rolling back to old versions; none of it worked 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall PPro, if it doesn't work try the Beta version.

Edit: you may also give a try to Adobe's cleaner tool, after that do a clear installation:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ali. An Adobe Tech helped me through a clean reinstall of an older stable version untill they're able to proper diagnose the circumstance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem partially solved for now. I'm new to the community, so I ain't sure how to resolve/close the topic since I can't find an edit option to the original post. If any mod eventually reads through this, it can be closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to provide a screen recording of the issue? Also, are you able to reproduce with a Project where all media is Offline? If so, could you provide us with an Offline Project? 

If you are on Mac, when you run into this issue, could you provide a Sample and Spindump?

How to get a Sample Process or Spindump | macOSAdobehttps://helpx.adobe.com › photoshop › how-to-get...

All of this will help us in investigating the issue.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not actually since I have made a fresh install of the OS and thus CC and am no longer getting this issue.
Tech Master reached to me and we closed the support ticket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is extremely laggy.  What's going on?  This just isn't good enough, not at this price.
Here's what I've tried, but none of it has fixed the problem:
Turned off Timeline CLip Names.
Turned off Timeline Waveforms.
Deleted all the cache.
Created a brand new project and imported the laggy project.
Ran the software holding SHIFT and resetting EVERYTHING

--- HOLD SHIFT and RESET ---- It doesn't fix the problem ---

My system is a Threadripper Pro 3975WX.
256GB RAM.
Nvidia RTX A6000 graphics card.

I've updated all the drives today, just incase.
1TB M.2 nvme System Drive
1TB M.2 nvme Projects drive
2 x 1TB M.2 nvme Video files drives
1TB M.2 nvme Cache drive, for all that Adobe cache nonesense.

Editing functions take a long time to operate, like tens of seconds.  Mark an In, Mark an Out, hit Extract and wait.  The interface appears to be doing nothing, but if you press anything or try to click anything the Premiere software washes over with that faded colour effect, similar to when software crashes.  If you wait long enogh it comes back and performs the operation.

This is unusable.  Poor show Adobe.

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your footage? Have you tried transcoding or proxies? Have you done any troubleshooting, like deleting media cache? Is your GPU driver the studio driver or the game ready one? Hope to help you find a fix.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,  I did write that the media cache has been deleted.  The RTX A6000 doesn't have game drivers, as far as I know, as it's not a gaming card - it's a £4,000 Studio card.  No proxies.  Footage is a mix of MP4 from a GoPro, DNxHD transcodes from various and a few h264 files from a mobile phone.  All of this worked only a few days ago and has always worked historically.  Something changed, either Windows 11 or Adobe wise.

Thanks

Simon.

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still rediculously slow today.  I'll add some more information.
There seems to be some inconsistency to what's happening on the slow response to editing commands.

Imagine this, the sequence is fifty minutes long.  Mark and IN and an OUT of about five minutes in duration and press EXTRACT.  Then the incosistency happens.
Sometimes the duration of the edit, seen in the project window, updates instantly, leaving you waiting an unusable amount of time for the interface to update the timeline and give you control again.

Sometimes the duration of the edit does not alter, even after the slow deleting of a five minute part of the sequence.

But both ways still are not what I would call acceptable amounts of time to wait for doing the bread-and-butter operations of video editing.  The core of adobe Premiere is to playback a string of video clips in the order you choose, allowing to shorten or lengthen the clips to suit your needs.  This core set of operations has always needed to be there, from the very inception of moving pictures.  Why does this not work?  It's core functionality that every editor needs.  Like someone else said, "Give me back CS6 and we'll all be happy."  Adobe haven't imporved Adobe since then.  They've simply broken things by adding gimmicks to add to their sales prowess at trade shows.
I've spent more time trying to fix Adobe over the years (since CS6) than actually being creative with it.  Please, please, please be more careful and test things properly.  We don't need updates every ten minutes.  I'd argue we don't need updates every year.  We need reliability.  Tools that work for the core of everyday video editing.  Tools that are fast and allow seamless and unhindered contact with the material we're working with.  There's a group of us professionals in the UK that are collating an alternative to the Adobe CS package, as nothing works properly.  We are minutes away from finding the full set.  The only thing that keeps us using Adobe CS for now is After Effects, which is crashy nowadays, but there's not a good competitor out there to replace it.  Yet.  Please reply if you know of a usable alternative to After Effects for motion graphics.  You read stupid things on websites saying things like Resolve or Blender are good alternatives.  They're not a replacement for After Effects.  Once that hole is filled you'll see an exedus from Adobe.  I'd even put myself forward as Product Manager for a good competitor.
As you can see, I'm ranting.  Adobe makes me miserable, so it felt like the correct place to rant.
Now, back to an awful day trying to edit using Adobe Premiere.  Deadlines are deadlines....

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some more information regarding the slow performance of standard editing functions:
As you heard, EXTRACT is causing untollerable waiting periods to complete its operation.
However, LIFT does not present any delays, it works as it should - Instantly, passing control back in the blink of an eye.  It doesn't help me and workflow, but let's hope it helps Adobe fix the problem.
Any news?

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information:
INSERT causes an unacceptable delay, too.  In fact, any operation that changes the overall duration of the timeline is just plain awful and is taking an age to happen.

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines