• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2024 Ripple Delete Freezes Everything

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue i'm having with Premiere Pro 2024, as I have just updated my software. It seems that ripple deleting has just been absolutely blown out in this version, or at least for my project file. 

I use "Q" and "W" to ripple delete footage. It does this action but the playhead will stay at the last spot it was at for about 10 seconds, my PC fans will roar up, then the playhead goes back to it's expected spot at the cut I made. I have a pretty good system and it's NEVER done this before today and it's becoming an absolute PAIN and quite literally UNUSABLE. It'll work when ripple deleting around 1-3 seconds of footage but then starts lagging when ripple deleting anything over 10 seconds.

And please, don't suggest the "revert back to old version" as a "f i x". Project files cannot be reverted back to older years of Premiere.

PC specifications:
GPU: RTX 3070
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: 32GB

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 116 Replies 116
116 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I use the 'Close Gap' or 'Ripple Delete' buttons on my sequence, it causes my sequence to lag for 10 seconds or so. The program does not freeze, as I'm still able to move my marker around, but during these 10 seconds, I am unable to move/select anything in my sequence, view the playback, or go to another sequence. Also, during the lag, the area where the yellow line is does not move with the clip--it presents as if the clip is still in the same area as it was before I moved it--but fixes itself after 10 seconds. This issue is only occuring in one project, but is happening with all the sequences in this project. I've never had this issue or any lagging-related problems before and has only started today.

(I am using Premiere Pro 2023 on Windows 11 verison 22H2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

If NVIDIA graphics, make sure to use the latest Studio Driver from NVIDIA (NOT the Game Driver).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue - Before the update to Version 23.6 (was using 23.5), when I would ripple delete a selected clip in the timeline, the timeline would automatically refocus to the new point at the start of the cut, as expected. This would happen instantly.

As of Version 23.6, the selected clip is removed, but the timeline does not refocus to the new point at the start immediately. Instead, the Premiere client stalls for about 10-20 seconds, then refocuses to the new point at the start of the cut. The entire program now freezes in this time frame, sometimes even crashing. As I am consistantly ripple deleting while editing audio and video, this tedious process has only become even more tedious as I now have to wait up to 20 seconds with a frozen program, an issue that has just now appeared in the new update and wasn't occuring in any previous version that I used.

Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 23.6

Operating system - Windows 10

System Info:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F
GPU : GTX 1660

Steps to reproduce - Cutting/ripple deleting any piece of audio or video.

Expected result - Ripple delete the clip and move the timeline to the focus on the place of the cut.

Actual result -  Ripple delete the clip, freeze client for 10-20 seconds, then move the timeline to focus on the place of the cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue, and just submitted a bug report as well:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/version-23-6-ripple-delete-cutting-in-timeline-mass...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting that. I dropped two clips next to each other into a new project and timeline, went a ways in to the second clip and pressed Q, it ripple deleted and I could play right away.

PP 23.6
Win11 22H2

Is there some other thing I could do to test it, or can you try with 2 clips and a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned on your thread (default) I'm not seeing that behavior. It could be that your hardware plus video codec has met it's match. What kind of video clips are you using. I tested it with HD clips, one ProRes proxy and the other h.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of right now, this is happening with either video/audio clips, or strictly just audio and just video clips.

I'm working with strictly just audio at the moment and the issue is occuring, but it occurs in the other instances as well. When ripple deleting only audio clips, the same issues/bugs occur. I have to edit down hours upon hours of recorded audio, and the issue is causing it to crawl to a halt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the audio .wav? (good) .mp3 (bad)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.wav! Yeah I had learned a while back that MP3's shouldn't be used, WAV's are better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I'm not sure if relevant to the issue, to me it feels like it is so I thought I'd mention it - but even decreasing the length of audio/video clips (not cutting, just clicking and dragging to reduce/increase their length depending on what's available) also causes the client to lag considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say 'client' you mean the computer right?

In Preferences/Audio Hardware set default input to No Input.

See if that changes anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By client, I mean the Adobe Premiere Pro software. Sorry if I wasn't specific. My computer's running fine elsewhere, even during Premiere's glitches that I've laid out.

Preferences/Audio Hardware is already set to No Input, as I future-proofed that setting early on when I heard it gave people issues. I've had that off for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I've been having this problem too. No changes to my hardware or drivers or anything, just one day sometime this month I loaded up premiere pro and ripple deletes and stuff like dragging a clip to shorten or lengthen it sometimes causes the program to just lock down for about 10 seconds before it goes back to normal.and lets me carry on.

If I drag a clip into place rather than ripple deleting there's no issue. If I want to shorten a clip I just ctrl+k it to get around the lag that comes with dragging to change duration. I was not having this problem in any way shape or form until recently so I assume an update dropped and installed without telling me that caused it.

I won't be dropping any useful information like specs to help figure out what is up, but know that these people are not the only ones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a fix? I'm getting this issue as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It had gotten so bad I reverted to the previous version I had, 22.0 - smooth as butter again. Something about the new update just breaks performance completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. The only solution is reverting to a previous version for now - I reverted to 22.0 and it works completely fine again, no performance issues whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within the last month or so I've run into a problem where my program will freeze as if it is about to crash after I cut a clip and then ripple delete. 

I've tried using Proxies, clearing media cache, running as admin, installing adobe on my SSD, GPU accelleration, 32 gb of ram, Dropping resolution to 1/4 playback....

None of it stops the freezing after Ripple Delete. I've never had this problem up until the last month or so. My drivers are all up to date so I do not have any clue as to what else I can possibly do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've seen some other threads that allude to this, you might search, usually google searches here at the adobe forums. The only wierd tweak I can think of is setting your Audio Hardware preference Default Input to 'No input' and give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed audio hardware to "no input" and it didn't fix the issue. Still freezes upon ripple deleting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is reverting to an old version still the only fix as of right now? I'm having the same problem and cannot find any information on how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a google search for you: Paste the below into Google

ripple delete slow site:https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/

Or just use this

Google Search Premiere Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had that problem when I did the update to 23.6, I've switched back to 23.5 and it's gone. If you are on 23,6 try to roll back to 23,5 and see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like this is the only solution that people have consistently found to work. It worked for me.  

Here's a video if you don't know how to roll back to a later version of Premiere Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXqFRUUL54E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, yes. Reverting is the only possible fix at the moment. I reverted to 2022 and it works great now.

Votes

Translate

Translate