• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text-based editing reseting clips to starting frame after any changes in files location

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, whenever i use text-editing in a project, i cant change any files, or move the project folder, or work on any other computer, as any changes in the original files location reset every clip in the text-edited secuence to the begining of the original file, making the project useless. Also, the transcription changes, so the clips are still linked to the text, only that the previous edition has been lost.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

This issue is fixed in 23.5 which is available now.  If you ever used transcription in 23.4 and got the relink dialog, you should close and not save the project.  Once you save, the damage is done and you will have to restore from autosave backups.  You should close the project without saving and update to 23.5.  Now you can relink and everything will be correctly linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

I made an official Known Issue post over here: Known issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4.  I'll post updates over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

This issue has been fixed in public beta as of 23.6.0 build 02 released Thursday, May 25th.  I posted the details in this known issue doc but will put the instructions here as well.  If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.  Use public beta to fix your project.

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and en

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
68 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Here's hoping!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links, which I will check out in more detail. I must admit I don't understand the whole export xml and then import again. I'm also not sure that the problem described in the post is the same as mine. In my case both laptops are working off the identical files but come up with different results. I'll try the xml method but I don't think it is a very practical workaround in my situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Benjamin's response was from this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/text-based-editing-reseting-clips-to-starting-frame...

lol.

I see, you are not needing to relink anything. Interesting.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote this bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/i-have-a-problem-relinking-projects-on-another-pc/i...

There is a workaround suggestion in that thread.

Also see this possible workaround if you have a backup and can figure out what relinking issue caused the problem:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/text-panel-enhancements-part-2-assemble...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here as well, Pr23 (non beta).  Pretty significant issue with no great work around. Also brings up concerns about archiving projects on backup drives, which is a very significant issue. Trying to not jump ship to Davinci but this is another issue that's dissapointing. I apprecaite the new innovations in Premiere, but stability is obviously most important. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question for folks on this thread.  What version of Premiere are you running? Are you using speech-to-text transcription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just became aware of this issue and I acknowledge that it's a very serious problem.  I can reproduce it on my end as well.  We are investigating this issue and trying to find a fix and a workaround.  I'll keep the thread updated on what we learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman,

Some threads not mentioned here.....

This user posted in the long Beta thread on text panel enhancements. 23.4.0. Using text-based workflow, but unclear what role it may have played.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/text-panel-enhancements-part-2-assemble...

This user reported a workaround to avoid relinking.

I flagged @TeresaDemel and @nbechere there.

Bug report, probably related.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/text-based-editing-sequences-resets-all-clips-to-st...

And here, one that does not mention relinking or text-based.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/every-edit-has-reverted-to-the-very-beginning-of-th...

Edit: And after posting, I saw this in the Beta forum:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-bugs/urgent-after-relinking-offline-clips-relinked-...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

This is a problem, as reported by @bradcurran, in Release 23.4.0. Upvote this bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/i-have-a-problem-relinking-projects-on-another-pc/i...

There is one workaround reported there. Another was to find a way to avoid relinking (use the same drive instead of a separate editing station).

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan Jones thank you very much for the links.  I've been looking at many of those already and I'm trying to figure out if they are all the same problem or different issues.  Internally we have definitely discovered an issue in 23.4 related very specifically to reconnecting clips containing a source transcript.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WTF IS GOING ON? How could a problem this huge make it to an official release. As soon as I'm finished with these projects I have, I'm done with premiere. They've lost me forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear there is progress.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman glad you're able to see it as well. please keep all of us in the loop. This is reslly wrecking things for the last couple of weeks. 

im curious if ticking the preserve transcripts box now has anything to do with it? I haven't tested the idea yet but I think that's the only new change to the media browser/relink dialogue that pops up when media is disconnected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been sent a project from a remote editor - we are both using the same version of Premiere Pro 23.3.0

When I relink the sequences, all the media relinks fine, except from WAV audio files that have been auto-transcribed within Premiere Pro.

Edit as it appears offline. Source monitor to the right has been match framed to the audio clip at this edit point, which has an in-point of 10:03:48:16

michaelm11605974_0-1684952086522.png

File relinked - in point is now 09:59:58:23 which is the start of the audio file.

michaelm11605974_1-1684952183167.png

You can see all the other edits that use this WAV file are the same - all starting from the beginning of the wav file.

michaelm11605974_3-1684952338225.png

I've never had this issue before. The only thing that I can think of that is different is that the remote editor has used auto transcribe on those wav files within the sequence. I would also note that the transcription has also not carried across to my project.

The only fix we have is to export that audio channel as an EDL - re-import the EDL and relink. The relinking of the EDL works perfectly and the audio edits all have the correct in point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BetaTesting editor - unfortunately, the state of the "preserve transcripts" option in the relink dialog doesn't change the behavior here.  It's not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is today's update on this issue.  Our engineers have found two bugs responsible for this behavior.  Clips containing source transcription are being read with the wrong duration during the relink process which causes the source clips and edits to get reconnected incorrectly.  They have a fix that we are testing internally and will roll out to beta as quickly as possible in the next couple of days.  Once we do that, the beta app will be the secret weapon to fix this issue. You can open the project in beta, relink, save, and open in 23.4 and all will be well.  Obviously, we plan to release an official release version with this fix ASAP.  I'll update this thread when the beta version containing the fix is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm an editor for a youtube channel, and once I create edits for a video, I send all of the corresponding files and the project file back to the channel's creators for them to approve and make small adjustments and add their graphics. For the most recent video, I used the new text edit feature to edit an interview and synced all audio for the video through a multi-camera sequence since there was a lot of footage. This seemed to work fine on my end, and exporting video on my computer works fine. Unless the files are moved or uploaded for someone else. First time I'm having this problem.

For some reason, if I move the directory folder for this project (fully intact with no renames) or send it to the creators I'm working with, the audio goes out of sync, and not just a little bit — each sound clip starts from the beginning of that sound file. The audio files are MTS files, the linked footage is mostly MP4 or MOV.

I have the most recent update, and I'm on a 2017 Macbook Pro. Is anyone else having these issues or know how I can fix the problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue. I edited using the new text-based editor which was awesome. When I opened the project again a window popped up "locating media". When the files were all located the audio was out of sync. The audio still has cuts all in the same spot but it starts from the beginning after every cut.

I'm on Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually made a mistake, the audio files are M4A not MTS. Just in case that matters!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

although Premiere can take almost any file that you throw at it, It's probably a good idea to make sure everything has the same audio sampling rate.  If not, I'd strongly suggest you decide what sampling rate to use for your sequence and convert any audio or video elements with audio to that sampling rate.  FWIW, professional video usually uses 48k audio.    Not saying this will always cause issues, but it definitely can and probably smarter to just anticipate the problem.  I'm working doing postproduction supervision on a large documentary project.  The editor wanted to output about a 2hr sequence yesterday and was getting "rendering audio" warnings that never seemed to finish.  I was able to identify problematic audio clips as the audio waveforms were not appearing.   The first thing I would try would be to select the audio clip in the timeline and "render and replace."  Some clips would not generate the waveforms with render and replace.  The sequence audio settings was 48k and most of the shots had that sampling rate...  Some of the audio was recorded on a separate digital audio recorder and one audio guy mis-set it the sampling rate to 44.1k...  When I resampled any problematic audio, we were able to export...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you need any help doing the resampling, post back... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made an official Known Issue post over here: Known issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4.  I'll post updates over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in public beta as of 23.6.0 build 02 released Thursday, May 25th.  I posted the details in this known issue doc but will put the instructions here as well.  If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.  Use public beta to fix your project.

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and ensure that the sequence looks correct.
  3. You may choose to just work in Beta –or– save, and open in 23.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

had a recent problem when trying to relink a media file, the sync is lost and the media starts from the beginning... if i had a clip cut in several parts and relinks its every cut starts from the beginning of the media.

Long story short... it din´t save the time of the cut

help!

Votes

Translate

Translate