• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text-based editing reseting clips to starting frame after any changes in files location

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, whenever i use text-editing in a project, i cant change any files, or move the project folder, or work on any other computer, as any changes in the original files location reset every clip in the text-edited secuence to the begining of the original file, making the project useless. Also, the transcription changes, so the clips are still linked to the text, only that the previous edition has been lost.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

This issue is fixed in 23.5 which is available now.  If you ever used transcription in 23.4 and got the relink dialog, you should close and not save the project.  Once you save, the damage is done and you will have to restore from autosave backups.  You should close the project without saving and update to 23.5.  Now you can relink and everything will be correctly linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 3 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

I made an official Known Issue post over here: Known issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4.  I'll post updates over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

This issue has been fixed in public beta as of 23.6.0 build 02 released Thursday, May 25th.  I posted the details in this known issue doc but will put the instructions here as well.  If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.  Use public beta to fix your project.

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and en

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
68 Comments
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, Long time user of Premiere Pro here.

Im having a pretty maddening issue here. This has happened in multiple projects after updating to 23.4. 

Im working with a lot of talking head sequences. While trading projects with another editor, we had to relink to a few files between our systems. When relinking the talking heads, every clip using those files in our sequences start at the Media Start point (so the beggining of every clip). Everytime there is a cut on that file in our sequence, it starts back at media start. Im trying to figure out what the specific cause is. It's not been a issue in every sequence.

This is a terrible problem and it is ruining our project file that we've spent countless hours on. We keep having to revert to auto-save files and we have a couple backups. We need a solution or a workaround ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tyler28138934ns48 this is almost certainly related to this issue Known issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4.  I will consolidate this with the other user thread on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, 

Having a really frustrating problem, we've had two instances today of moving original media resulting in clips on timeline to reset to the start of the original footage. 

Firstly when I moved original media and relinked it all and then another time when a project was transferred from one computer to another where the media did not have to be relinked. 

Each clip goes back to the very beginning of the original clip, the result is a timeline without any edits to the footage just this repetion of the start of the original clip for each cut. 

Any idea what's going on or how we can fix this? 

We're in Premier Pro version 23.4 on Macs. 

Thank you in advance,  

Charlotte 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got a project file sent to me with all of the media, which DOES relink. The issue is that when I relink it, for some reason it reset the in point of some of the clips in the timelines. So the image below is an example. The clip links fine, but then every instance of that clip in the edit starts at the beginning of the video file, which obviously is wrong. This is now the second time his has happened and tends to happen when a project file is created on one system and opened on another.

I have tried offlining and relinking with and without align timecode. I have tried not relinking at all when opening, but even the offline media has timecode 00:00:00 for the clip in points.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 143029.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Daeshan5E55 this looks to be related to this issue – Known issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4.  I recommend saving a backup of the original project file you received.  If you get the relink dialog in 23.4, don't save it.  Follow the instructions on the linked post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For several years, I've been collaborating with people that rework my edits in Premierie.

Now, when they open the project, the clips in the timeline have reset to 00.00 instead of the timecodes I've selected. We're both using exactly the same version of Premiere (23.4) although I'm on a Mac (Apple Silicon Intel OS 11.2) and they on Windows systems, but that's never been an issue in the past.

This is a massive issue for our workflow, any help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known issue.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues.html

And yes, extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fix is in beta and will be included in the next release.  See more details here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/known-issue-text-based-editing-clips-reset-to-first...

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Francis,

how does this workaround/fix plays out for production workflow?

I have clips facing this issue acros multiple sequences and projects inside my Production. 

thanks!

Pelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pelle Asselbergs If you ever see the relink dialog in 23.4 and you have used transcription, close and do not save.  If you save, the damage is done and you will have to roll back to autosave backups.  You should update to 23.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is fixed in 23.5 which is available now.  If you ever used transcription in 23.4 and got the relink dialog, you should close and not save the project.  Once you save, the damage is done and you will have to restore from autosave backups.  You should close the project without saving and update to 23.5.  Now you can relink and everything will be correctly linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Francis, thanks for your help on this and other issues...  Makes an enormous difference here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not getting the update in CC... is there a way to expedite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Francis,

I downgraded to 23.3 and the issue was fixed with a back up. Strangely première is more buggy and laggy since moving from 23.4. For instance Premiere Pro freezes on export dialogue when hitting export..
good to hear there is a solution in 23.5 for this particular issue. But I guess people will not move above 23.3 for a very long time now     This bug was so ridiculously, there could always be a  new and scary issue in 23.5 to mess up with your cuts since we experienced this in 23.4…

–– Pelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pelle Asselbergs, you might try revertin to 23.2 which I found extremely stable...  I find it advisable to wait at least a couple of weeks to do an update and monitor this forum to see if there are serious bugs before updating.  In this case, I never updated to 23.3 and went directly to 23.4...  Since I didn't feel the need to use text-based editing, I felt comfortable doing this update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not fixed in 23.5 for me..  i still have all clips starting from the beginning of the file after every cut or edit..   going to try going back to 23.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Sootysax 

If the project was opened and saved, then the unwanted change to the clips is saved into the project.  Try opening an auto-save project (as recent as possible) that was never opened in Premiere Pro 23.4 in 23.5.  Assuming the clips use the In to Out as expected, use Save As to promote the auto-save to being the current project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate