• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to select text or add new text with Type Tool

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to select or edit the existing text using the Type Tool. The selection gets instantly reverted. This also happens while adding new texts. Restarting the app is the only workaround. Here's a screen recording of the issue:

pr.gif

Premiere Pro Version: 24.2.1 (Build 2)

Laptop: Asus Vivobook Pro 15

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H

Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 3050

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Edited 3/29/24:

This bug is fixed in Release 24.3.0.

Original post:

See this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-tool/idc-p/14481907#M22542

Fixed in Beta (not sure which build), but not in the Release 24.2.1.

Till fixed, 1) try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away). You can also edit text in the Te

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hi @Matt Young,

Check out the 24.3 Beta build. The bug should be fixed there. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
85 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ali Jaber,

I forgot that you can edit the source text for regular graphics text in the Text panel GRAPHICS tab, just like you can edit caption/subtitle text in the Captions tab. That is a great option. And I can confirm that it is working when this bug interrupts regular text editing in the Program Monitor.

And that is another good workaround for this issue to add to the one Annika describes.

I had Beta 24.4.0.14 open when testing, and can confirm that the bug is still present in that build.

Stan

Edited to correct workaround info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 24.2.1 (build) 2 the graphics tab of the text panel seems to be broken as well.

When i select the text of an element (by repeatedly clicking it until everything is highlighted), it SEEMS to be selected completely (visually). But when i copy it, the last few characters sometimes don't get copied. Or when i paste something to replace the highlighted text, sometimes the last few characters remain.

Premiere shows the complete text as selected but in fact sometimes ignores the last few characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this as well.  I can't select text in within the program window or edit there at all.  It forces me to edit within the Text Window.  I'm using Premiere 24.2.1 working on a Mac running macOS Sonoma Version 14.3.1.

This was happening prior to the Mac update but seems to be an issue that's popped up with the most recent Premiere update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, currently working on a video with a lot of text and it's basically making editing prohibitive. This needs to be resolved ASAP, I can't afford to work at this pace. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> making editing prohibitive

It's a problem, and they're working on it. But till fixed, 1) try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away). You can also edit text in the Text panel, Graphics or Captions tab as appropriate.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any further update on this?  I'm not able to get bezier handles at all when drawing a mask.  I click and drag like I used to in order to create a point with bezier handles, but it now just creates a regular non-bezier handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Matt Young,

Check out the 24.3 Beta build. The bug should be fixed there. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan- yes, I've just verified that the bug is fixed in the Beta build.  Unfortunately, I've never been able to sync my preferences with the beta build.  Since I use custom keyboard shortcuts and custom workplace setups extensively, doing any comprehensive project work with the beta version is not feasible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that the bug is fixed. Thank you for verifying that, @Matt Young.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to sync my preferences with the beta build.  Since I use custom keyboard shortcuts and custom workplace setups extensively, doing any comprehensive project work with the beta version is not feasible.

I believe you need to do that manually now because of the loss of Creative Cloud sync. More info for you: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/creative-cloud-files-end-of-life-for-premiere-pro.html.

Apologies for that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing a major issue with Adobe Premiere 2024 build 24.2.1 running Mac OS Sonoma 14.4 on a Macbook Pro M1 Max with 64GB of memory. 

After creating a simple title in the timeline using the text tool, if I attempt to duplicate that same title in the timeline, or if I try and proceed with creating an additional title layer, the text tool becomes useless and prevents me from adding or editing any text from that point on. It's hard to explain this, but the text layer shows up fine on the timeline, but when I try to add actual text inside the canvas of the program window (or if I select the text layer from inside the Essential Graphics panel), Premiere immediately deselects my selection, as if it's possessed. A simple restart of the program always fixes this issue. But it always comes back later. 

This cannot be a corrupt project, because this has happened to me with 4 different projects now. I have attached 2 links to videos illustrating what I'm talking about. This shows it occurring in two different, unrelated projects...

https://youtu.be/79kqHZJlOdU

https://youtu.be/pOxxu4SjQ24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to reset the preferences

there are known issues with Sonoma, but not this case as far as I know:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info,@Kevin-Monahan .  Apologies if I'm being dense, but I can't figure out from the link you provided what the workflow is for importing custom settings for use in PPro Beta.  How would I go about bringing in my saved workspaces and keyboard shortcuts into Beta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited 3/29/24:

This bug is fixed in Release 24.3.0.

Original post:

See this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-too...

Fixed in Beta (not sure which build), but not in the Release 24.2.1.

Till fixed, 1) try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away). You can also edit text in the Text panel - Graphics or Captions tab as appropriate.

This is one of those situations where a bug is identified after the known issues are done, and does not get added. You'll note that there are no entries for 24.2.1.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan- not sure how the mask bezier handle bug got merged with a text tool bug, but here we are!  Can you let me know if there's a way to import custom settings into the beta version?  You implied it was possible with your last reply, but the link took me to a page where I could find no information about how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn - I just download the Premiere Beta build 24.4.0 build and the issue is still NOT fixed! I'm stressing out because I have a HUGE project coming up where there is a bunch of "copy and paste." I can workaround but it's going to suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIGTV,

What Beta build did you install (help -> About). Working for me in Build 25. Was NOT working in Build 14.

Did you clear the cache when you installed?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't build 25. I think it was build 24.4.0 - the most recent version I saw on there but maybe I missed something...???? I will look again! Thanks!

Also I DID forget to clear the cache! I'll do that as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate the bug using 24.4.0 B25, looks like it's fixed as Stan said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY! That would be awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that occasionally, Premiere will intercept one of my key presses while I'm typing subtitles, and start triggering keyboard shortcuts based on the keys I pressed after that moment, often causing a lot of problems I then I have to undo, find where I was, and continue typing. This has been happening over the last few months at least, perhaps starting with the 2024 release. I know it's not an issue of not having the cursor in focus, because sometimes when I return to the subtitle segment I was working on, the text is partially typed and was interrupted mid-line. So something is happening causing the typing to be interrupted and perhaps losing focus, causing Premiere to then take subsequent key presses as keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed in PR Release 24.3.0. I tested only a single example of adding and deleting a text mask. But that always triggered the bug when it was present.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this bug report and workaround:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-too...

I reported it is fixed in 24.3, and a couple users have reported that it may not be.

Try the workaround to see if this is your issue and let us know.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem to be relevant to my issue. I have no issue selecting text and it only rarely loses focus while typing, like maybe once or twice an hour. There's also nothing in the effects panel like that when working with subtitles. Looks like my premiere had not automatically updated to 24.3, so I'll test that next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morphinapg,

Thanks. Let us know.

Stan

Votes

Translate