• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4GB RAM not suficient - what to do.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Adobe customer service recommended me to buy Adobe Premiere Pro CC, I bought it and I found out that it is not compatible with my 4GB RAM.

I am wondering:
1) whether there is some solution how to change the version of the program so I have compatible version to my 4GB RAM.
2) Possibility of using creative cloud to be able to use Premiere, doesn't matter which version. If it helps me to use CC with my 4GB RAM, even better.
3) In case I upgrade my RAM to 8GB, will Adobe still work?

4) Will it be compatible with my Graphic card Intel HD Graphics 4000, my processor Intel Core i5-3339y 1.5GHz and SSD of capacity 128GB?

Please let me know what options I have.
Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

As a user who does not work for Adobe, I will say that your (laptop ???) computer will never work WELL with Premiere Pro

8 Gig of ram will allow 64bit Windows and PPro to load and run... but not very fast

Your 128 Gig ssd is small and will quickly fill with work and temporary files... see below

An EXAMPLE concerning trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like the operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alice,

1) whether there is some solution how to change the version of the program so I have compatible version to my 4GB RAM.

2) Possibility of using creative cloud to be able to use Premiere, doesn't matter which version. If it helps me to use CC with my 4GB RAM, even better.

I would suggest you to install a previous version of Premiere Pro (CC 2014 or CC). You might experience some performance related issues on this machine but it should work. FAQ: How do I reinstall a previous version of Premiere Pro?

3) In case I upgrade my RAM to 8GB, will Adobe still work?

Yes, it will work.

4) Will it be compatible with my Graphic card Intel HD Graphics 4000, my processor Intel Core i5-3339y 1.5GHz and SSD of capacity 128GB?

Not a supported GPU and processor/clock speed is not sufficient. Premiere Pro & other video editing tools are resource-intensive apps, you might experience performance issues on this setup.

Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Kulpreet!

And if I install the previous version of Premiere Pro, will it work well with my GPU and processor?

Thanks again,

Alice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a user who does not work for Adobe, I will say that your (laptop ???) computer will never work WELL with Premiere Pro

8 Gig of ram will allow 64bit Windows and PPro to load and run... but not very fast

Your 128 Gig ssd is small and will quickly fill with work and temporary files... see below

An EXAMPLE concerning trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like the operating system pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do file housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition for a "spindle" drive http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more on partitions) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything... not even with SSD see # 16 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1352987

Do not try to use a USB2 external drive for video editing, the USB2 file transfer speed is too slow

External eSata or USB3 are both fast enough for video editing... (or Firewire?) http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117813 - http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/84-disk-setup

A possibility is this USB3 dock with fan to swap drives http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147511

Drive C space http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0 see reply 4 for the setting that you need to manually change to a different drive... and then delete any old temp files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input, John T Smith

-Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, John.   (Anyone is welcome to answer the following questions )

Yes, it is a laptop. Lenovo Yoga IdeaPad 11S. So I cannot change graphic card nor processor.
I use external HDDs with USB 3 and drive C has almost 100GB (14,5GB is currently free - after instalation of Premiere).

I need to edit a movie on my laptop using Premiere Pro, because me and my colleague have started to use it already and we are almost in the end of the project. My colleague has some old Mac Pro with 4GB RAM and Premiere Pro CS6 2014 works well so far.

So when comes to my laptop the only option is to change it to 8GB. I haven't find 16GB RAM for my laptop.

Then I heard that if I use somehow creative cloud, it also helps and some lower version should work fine on my laptop. But I have no idea how it works. Can you explain me, please?

Thank you again! A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Ann on this:

Dont bother to install anything its not going to work.

Even cs6 wont work well.

Even Elements wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry.Just install Adobe Premiere Pro 2020.Update your Graphics Driver.If you're on Windows then go to the device manager.Double click on display adapters.Select your display driver.Right click.Select Update driver.Select search automatically for driver and update your driver.You can use the same process to update any driver of your computer.

After opening Premiere First thing you have to do is go to edit/preference/Media Cache and select your SSD or any fastest drive possible making sure is has more than 60 gigabytes of space on it.Same goes for other Adobe Software such as Photoshop After Effects Illustrator.

If you want example then I have a Core I3 7th Generation Processor.4 giggabytes of ram and only 1 GB of Video Ram

Thank you.Hope this will help anyone to fullfill his/her dream.

Gaming Chapters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best is to download drivers from the manufacturer as windows does not always install the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Ann stated, that is not enough any more. That updater can only access Microsoft's own Microsoft Update Web site for updated drivers, and cannot access any other Web site - not even Intel's own. 

And in the case of the OP's system, the 3rd-Gen drivers had already been on "Legacy/Vintage" support status since way back in 2015. That means that since the original first release of Windows 10, no compatibility fixes at all whatsoever had been released for these older iGPUs, while the last several driver versions available directly from Intel had merely been security patches to a driver from way back in 2015. In this case, neither Intel nor Adobe nor the computer system manufacturer will ever fix this particular compatibility problem.

If on the other hand it is a CPU that's still in mainstream support (6th-Gen or newer CPUs), then Microsoft's Web site still must rely on what's sent to it that's been "verified" to work on a given OEM system even though the driver is several years (and a gazillion major versions) older than the newest driver available directly from Intel. What's worse, even if one manages to install the newer driver, Windows will always like to completely revert back to the old obsolete driver on every reboot. However, in newer builds of Windows 10, the newer manually installed driver remains on the PC as an option, but one must now run the Windows built-in driver updater in order to even access the newer driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest with that weak notebook that you look at Adobe Premiere Elements rather than Premiere Pro.

If you only are editing simple media like Standard Definition You might get by but for many "popular" media types you will be very disappointed.  Whet is your media coming from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bill, thanks for respons. I do not understand the question - where my media comes from. ?
Anyway, I need to use Premiere Pro because I already started some project in it and also my colleague uses it. So I need to be able to transfer the project from one computer to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alice.alice  wrote

Hey Bill, thanks for respons. I do not understand the question - where my media comes from. ?
Anyway, I need to use Premiere Pro because I already started some project in it and also my colleague uses it. So I need to be able to transfer the project from one computer to another.

1. What camera, program are you getting your media from,  Or download MediaInfo and show use the Tree View so we can see what codec's are used.
  2. If you friend has CS6 and you were to have any CC version your project files will not work on earlier versions like CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am filming on Canon 80D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but those formats require considerable computer power which you do not have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont bother to install anything its not going to work.

Even cs6 wont work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even Elements wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would simply add more RAM to your computer, ideally 16 GB.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kevin.

And you think, that 16 GB RAM will do fine in my computer? Do you think it is sufficient?
(I have Lenovo Yoga IdeaPad 11S; Graphic card Intel HD Graphics 4000, my processor Intel Core i5-3339y 1.5GHz and SSD of capacity 128GB. For my project (editing film) I am using external HDDs with USB3)

My colleague is using some old MacPro with no more 4GB RAM. And so far her Premiere Pro CS6 2014 works well and it slows down only sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is the RAM amount woefully insufficient to run Premiere Pro CC 2015+, but it is insufficient to even run older versions of Premiere Pro or the latest version of Premiere Elements. This is because with 4GB of installed RAM, less than that amount is available for programs because all CPUs with integrated graphics steal part of the installed system RAM just for graphics use, making that portion of the RAM completely unavailable to the rest of that system. Premiere Elements 15 requires 4GB or more usable (free) RAM just to even run at all.

In addition to the above, your CPU's clock speed is too low: That i5-3339Y only Turbo-boosts to 1.8 GHz with both cores being used. As a result, your laptop will get completely choked on anything even remotely resembling typical consumer resolution and compression, with or without GPU acceleration (which is completely unavailable in your system even if you upgrade to 8GB of RAM).

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why your system with 4GB RAM don't work with Adobe Premiere CC. My system is working flawlessly with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018.

Here is my system's configuration:

Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM

-Intel Core i3-7100U(2.4 GHZ base frequency)

-Intel HD Graphics 620(Shared Memory)

-4 GB of 2133 mhz RAM

-1 TB of Hard Drive(5400 RPM)

I dunno why Premiere Pro CC 2018 works fine with my system and take note that I'm working on Full HD videos for my school projects. The clips I take is from the NIKON D5300.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, lavern_johnzen. Really? I am glad to hear that someone does have the exactly same system as my laptop and is able to use adobe premier pro without any problem. I'm about to return my laptop which has 4 GB RAM and 1TB Hard Drive as well since I'm afraid I won't be able to use it with adobe premier pro. I just bought it yesterday and have not unpacked it yet. So, I was thinking, I would just go back to the shop and exchange to a laptop with 8 GB instead and pay more money for it. But now, I think, I will give it a go

Buppha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gave me hope.i just bought one today and have a new 1tb external harddrive .i want to use it primarily for aftwr effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines