• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

5D III Cinema DNG not importing correctly

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import 5D III cinemadng's into Premiere 7.1, the footage comes in with a weird pink overlay. It's not just a tint shift, but some sort of color distortion. After Effects and Photoshop both read the file just fine via Camera Raw. Is anyone else having this issue or know any solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

The Canon 5D MKIII doesn't make CinemaDNG files, these are specifically from MagicLantern. CinemaDNG is a huge spec, we targeted getting the colours correct from the BlackMagic camera first.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it's CinemaDNG?  I don't think DNG used for stills is the same just because you have 24 of them every second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are. I've used other conversion programs (Raw2DNG and Son of Batch) that create only normal DNGs. Those cannot be imported into Premiere. The CinemaDNGs I have are created from RareVision's RAWMagic, and they are importing and playing smoothly in Premiere, just with the pink overlay. I've imported Black Magic DNGs and they work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would suggest the conversion software is doing something wrong.  You're the second user to report an issue using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DaVinci Resolve reads them fine, so they can be read by a NLE, and Camera RAW reads them correctly. I just wish that instead of changing the conversion software, Adobe had created their importer correctly since it seems it can be done. It's unfortunate that Adobe has been so behind DaVinci Resolve in this area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely.  Premiere Pro and After Effects should have been two of the very first programs to fully support CinemaDNG.  I mean, it's an Adobe-led initiative for gooness sake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem.  Resolve/After Effects/Photoshop have no problems reading the Cinema DNG file but for some reason Premiere Pro CC gives the Cinema DNG a pink overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same issue for me using raw footage from the Canon 5d Mk III converted to Cinema DNG using RAWMagic: heavy pink tinting. I'm pretty impressed that I can play the Cinema DNG files smoothly and easily perform normal edits, but the pink overlay makes it unusable. Might be okay for an offline editing workflow using Resolve, although the pink overlay makes it difficult to see what you're working with. I'd be curious to know why Premiere isn't interpreting the colour information in the RAWMagic Cinema DNG files correctly, and whether or not the same issue occurs with CinemaDNG files from other cameras. Early days yet and the smooth playback is a good start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hate to have to go through another program though. I was really excited about keeping everything contained within Adobe and giving Speedgrade a shot (now that the workflow is finally usable), but you're right, the pink is totally unusable. I just tried correcting it in Speedgrade. Impossible. It's just not reading it right. Sad that I'm considering switching altogether if Resolve can improve their editing features. I'm shooting mostly 5D III RAW at this point and Adobe can't find a way to support it when other companies can. Really hope this gets fixed soon, but seeing how long we've already waited for CinemaDNG support.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes this even worst is Adobe CREATED CinemaDNG and it doesn't work correctly.  Sad.  Just sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cinema DNG is also not working correctly for me.  Similiar to what others have described, I'm seeing a strong pink cast on all clips.  They work fine when used with davinci resolve.  What is the most effective way to report this to Adobe in the hopes of a possible patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping this thread gets enough attention for a staff member to get involved. I'm not sure how much good that will do, but other than that there is a feature request form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend as many people as possible reporting this as a bug using this link:  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Select 'report bug' and submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Also, it's being discussed here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8177.50 and here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.250

I guess open source will just have to do what large companies won't again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported some .dng files from a Blackmagic camera and they are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the thread implies the problem is with the 5D Mark III and not with the BMC.  The problem is with Cinema DNG files that were converted from Magic Lantern RAW.  Resolve suffered from a similar problem early on that was described as 'pink fringing' in the highlights.  This problem was addressed with the release of resolve 10.

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/09/davinci-resolve-10-fixes-magic-lantern-raw-fringing/

There has to be a way to help adobe specify the color space or determine white balance similar to what is done with the AE workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I talked with tech support on the phone and he had me Dropbox him a frame so he could take a look at it. I don't know when I'll hear back or if I will, but it's a start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Canon 5D MKIII doesn't make CinemaDNG files, these are specifically from MagicLantern. CinemaDNG is a huge spec, we targeted getting the colours correct from the BlackMagic camera first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to be with how the DNG is interpreted in Premiere, may not be isolated to the RAW files that are converted to Cinema DNG as you explained.  Take a look at this article under the bad news.  It may be really helpful in making this DNG support usable.  Because as stated in the article, we are not beta testers, we are paying customers and as such we reasonably expect a lot more.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11441/raw-goes-mainstream-adobe-premiere-cc-native-cinema-dng-support-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you folks aware that the Rawmagic CDNG files work flawlessly in AE and photoshop ACR and look completely correct?  They do not however open correctly in PPro or SG.  Is this because of RGB to YUV conversion?  AE being 100% RGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every Import via ACR is read correctly because of translation to rgb-data. Premiere only works accordingly with Blackmagic-data-structure (12bit log with delinearizationcurve), Speedgrade is able to convert to xyz with according color/translation-matrix.

Delinearization Curve - http://infogr.am/bmcc-delinearization-curve?src=web

Speedgrade Handling (look-file) - http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5618.msg87645#msg87645

regards chmee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another half a year has gone by, and the problem is still unresolved. Given the ratio of 5D users versus BM users out there, and the ever ongoing migration to Raw, it is starting to get silly that this issue is still unresolved by Adobe. Do I really have to switch to Da Vinci Resolve? I don't want to, but Adobe seem hell bent on forcing me to. Surely this cannot be such a huge problem to fix when, again, it's been working just fine in Resolve since like forever.

Kind regards,

Paying customer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAWMagic 1.1 writes 12 bit CinemaDNG files that both look correct and play properly in Premiere CC. If your MLV file contains audio, the audio will work as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why truncate a perfectly good 14bit signal to 12bit ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because CinemaDNG only supports 12 and 16 bit files, and Premiere currently only works properly with 12 bit CinemaDNG files. RAWMagic can write 16 bit DNGs as well, but they don't work with Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines