• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About the stuttering playback in Premiere 2019

Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought I'd post this because I've been trying to track down an issue and discovered something interesting.

I have two identical projects in 2018 and 2019. The one in 2018 always plays smoothly but the one in 2019 never does. I tried moving cache drives from inbuilt hard drives to inbuilt ssds to external USB 3.1 drives. Nothing helped. It was then I realized, 2019 would play smoothly until I rendered the effects. So I started to mess with preview presets.

The previews I had been using for both was the Cineform 10-bit preset. In 2018, they played fine, but they didn't work as well in 2019. So I went through all the presets, testing each, and landed on Quicktime 10-bit 422 uncompressed (the 8-bit worked as well.) 2019 began playing back as smoothly as 2018. (Albeit with giant preview files on my cache drive.)

This got me wondering. 2019 threw up low-level errors about my Cineform dll when I first installed it, and the only fix for it was to remove the Cineform supplied codec from system. 2018 never complained about it being installed.

So perhaps a change was made to the Cineform dll that isn't as optimized as well as the earlier version. I noticed when I used the Cineform presets, my hard drive would crunch away every time (I suppose) it was loading the next preview file. The uncompressed 10-bit hardly ever hammered on it.

Not really looking for a discussion. Just know some others here were having trouble with stuttery playback in 2019 and thought posting this might help them. I really prefer the Cineform not only for the size difference but the ease on the cpu.

The Cineform preview in 2018 doesn't seem to hammer on the drive as much, but that could be a placebo effect.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Thank you - after trying all the options and updating a bunch of drivers, changing the audio hardware settings from MME to ASIO appears to have resolved the issue of stuttering during playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RESH,

It sounds like you hit a bug that we are seeing across new installations of Premiere Pro CC 2019. We have a new version of Premiere Pro coming very soon that should remedy this issue. Please look for that update. Once that is installed, please let us know how things are going for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the 2019.13.01 and there was no improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I apologize, I just saw this thread pop up again. I have updated to the newest 2019 and I'll say there is marginal improvement. I can't put my finger on what is causing it. I've left Premiere 2018 installed and it is defintely smoother the whole way around. No problems with playback, and I can use Cineform for previews.

With 2019, the timeline stutters when it plays back, but on Premiere 2018 with an identical project accessing all the same files, it plays fine. I say this new .1 patch is marginally better because it doesn't stutter as much as the original release, but it still stutters a bit. I am, however, using 2019 to complete the project using 10-bit uncompressed YUV files for previews. I can still work, but it seems others may not be as lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't see any improvement with the latest version, 13.0.1 (Build 13).

Unfortunately, I uninstalled 2018 before trying 2019. Removing 2019 and reinstalling 2018 did not help. It too has become unusable.

Today I'll be flushing 2018 and 2019 from my computer. Then I'll try a reinstall of 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a full flush of all versions and got it working again using 2018.

Feel like it should be pointed out that there's no stuttering playback via my more powerful PC when using 2019, but on my 2014 MacBookPro it was an issue.  Another note:  this is happening using PP generated proxies, so the workload to display the video is NOT demanding.

My guess is that the older machines can't keep up with whatever new code changes are present in 2019.

Still, kind of ridiculous that an "improved" version of PP causes these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it can be as simple as going into your audio hardware settings and making sure you don't have an audio input that is causing the issue.

I have a sound card whose drivers were causing the chop, and as soon as I changed out the audio input, the chop when away completely. I am not even using proxies and I am getting good smooth playback.

That doesn't mean it will work for everyone, but it was an instant fix for me in Pro CC 2019. I don't see anyone recommending that fix on boards anywhere so it could have been just me.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - after trying all the options and updating a bunch of drivers, changing the audio hardware settings from MME to ASIO appears to have resolved the issue of stuttering during playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASIO worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just helped me tremendously. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKED!!!  thanks. unplugged my blue yeti, changed it to no line in and it started working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check out gamerlearner's response: Re: About the stuttering playback in Premiere 2019

Did it help?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I'm experiencing some major stuttering across cuts that have multiple exponential fades, spot sound effects and atmospheres, running an Avid Artist Mix console as well, hung off of the system.

As I'm on an 8-Core iMac Pro and only have the CoreAudio option, switching to ASIO is not possible. I'm running a Zoom TAC-2 for headphone monitoring though Thunderbolt and running PP v13.0 in an enterprise environment. Trying to finish off a temp mix and experiencing these issues for the first time today.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, this seems to be strongly related to placing multiple exponential fades to the audio tracks. I have swapped a number of them out for constant power fades and the issues is clearing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gamelearner!! Your solution worked for stuttering on PPro 2018 as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this exact problem. What caused it for me was the Blackmagic Design Decklink Mini Recorder PCIe card (was running the latest 12.1 driver). When I removed the card from the PCIe slot in my computer, stuttering dissapeared and everything is back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines