Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AC3/A52 audio codec for Premiere

New Here ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, everyone. I'm alive again.

I have a video with a A52/AC3 audio on it and apparently the premiere installed in my PC cannot decode it so I have to extract the audio with another software. Ain't there some other way (needless to say, premiere A52/AC3 codec) that I can import my video to my pr pro project in which pr can read its audio data?

I'm using prprocs3.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound lame, Tiger, but I have only heard of the A52 as a highway, regularly filled with serious traffic jams.

AC3 is imported without problems.

BTW, I use ProcMon 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Millaard. Can you still remember re misspelling your name?

Anyway, about this A52 audio, there's no kidding here. It's there existing. I played my video in VLC, look for its audio stream and it says a52. I googled a52 and I found a page saying a52 is just the same as ac3, both are dolby digital sound. Well, I don't about their particularities but problem is that pr can't recognize the audio of my video.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, here's the media information of my asset:

mediainformation.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I just found something here:http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/premiere/pro/import/mpeg-ac3.html. I hope this would solve my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. But I had just done what you've said. Now I am just waiting for Pr to finish indexing and creating peak files for my assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a long shot (I am away from my workstation computer) but try importing the file in question into audition and then exporting it as something that PPro understands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply...much appreciated.

I don't have Audition with the laptop I'm on (don't think they included that with Cs5 bundle)...

but I'm trying Media Encoder instead as I write.....so thanks for the tip.

(I need to get this done within the next hour or so! Have already been working on it for about 2 hours)

I also tried Virtual Dub...I used the standard "Save AVI" feature...it produced another AVI file..that again plays fine in various media players...but when I import it into Premiere Pro...only the video comes in...and no audio track at all...

Various posts refer to using Virtual Dub to convert to DV AVI...but unfortunately I cannot find any explanation of how exactly to do this...there is no "Save or export to  DV AVI" option I can find in Virtual Dub....(I've tried downloading a VFW Panasonic Codec...which apparently is of some help with this)

Other option might be After Effects I guess...or maybe a free video editor off the net?

Open to anything at this point!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but what version are you running? I just have successfully imported ac3 file in my Premiere Pro CS5.5 as well as CS5. Perhaps an issue not with an audio codec but with a wrapper of your file? OR maybe the video portion of it?

Edit: never mind, didn't notice the Ppro CS3 in your original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you might be on the right track...I am running Cs5 Premiere Pro...from what I understand it should work...it just doesn't!

It certainly works fine to play in media player/VLC media player/DivXX player....just not in Premiere Pro Cs5...

so I don't know what I can do...

thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I found a solution...a program called Format Factory!

Very simple with multiple export options!

Converted to Mpeg4 and Premiere Pro handled that fine.

Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines