Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adding LUT's to Lumetri color?

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'd like to add more LUT's to the dropdown menue in PPro cc 2015. Anyone knows the correct folder / path?

Thanks

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Hi Martin,

With 12.1, there is a new feature related to color correction and the Lumetri Color panel for adding LUTs to your editing system much more easily than before.

In the past, users had to add a single LUT at a time for any custom LUTs or packages of multiple LUTs. This became quite cumbersome in a good number of workflows and lead to unexpected behavior when users added LUTs incorrectly via hacking the app package.

This feature allows you to create a location for adding LUTs to Premiere Pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to see a way to import (e.g.) Osiris LUTs into the dropdown (and therefore the preview window) of the new Lumetri-color-panel! So far the preview works amazing and the workflow is just incredible faster than if I had to klick on brows, browse for a LUT apply it and do the same over again if I don't like it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i played around with the lut/looks folders. i added a .cube lut and couldn't get it to appear in the "creative" lumetri menu in premiere, no matter where i placed it. i did get the .cube luts to appear under "basic correction" pulldown menu from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015\Lumetri\LUTs\Technical".

i then tried a .look lut and it did show under the "creative" pulldown menu. so it appears as if that menu is limited to .look files. if you have .cube you can try a converter or try to use speedgrade to convert. then place the .look files in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015\Lumetri\Looks\Cine Looks". if you dont want to convert your .cube files, then you would have to place them in the luts\technical folder and use the "basic correction" pulldown menu.

if you want to load up the speedgrade lumetri looks that were in the effects panel in cc2014 but seem to be gone in cc2015, copy them from here "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe SpeedGrade CC 2015\Look Examples\Style" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015\Lumetri\Looks\Cine Looks".

NOTE: As of CC 2017 (12.1): Please do not add looks inside the app package any more. There is a new folder you can make see the release notes for details or scroll down in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's what I was looking for !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That really is what I was looking for. But now I can't seem to find a way to convert .cube to .look 😕 I have round about 50 LUTs I would like to convert, and converting them all "by hand" seems like quite some work. Do you know of a easy way to convert .cube into .look in batch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know of many lut converters, perhaps someone else knows a good one. there is this one Briz LUT Converter

if you have speedgrade you can make a new project with one clip, then on that clip with no changes, save it as a look. then that new look should appear with in the bottom panel with the other speedgrade looks. it should have its own tab for your custom looks vs the default speedgrade looks. once you locate it, right click and export, but then tell the export to apply the .cube lut you have. click export to save and give the zip file the same name as you want the lut to have. then open/extract the zip file to get your .look lut.

i tried this to see how well it works, when comparing the original .cube against the .look, i couldn't see any difference, but the scopes did show some slight movement. so you may want to compare it against the original as well, to see if its an acceptable conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoninEdits wrote:

so i played around with the lut/looks folders. i added a .cube lut and couldn't get it to appear in the "creative" lumetri menu in premiere, no matter where i placed it. i did get the .cube luts to appear under "basic correction" pulldown menu from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015\Lumetri\LUTs\Technical".

i then tried a .look lut and it did show under the "creative" pulldown menu. so it appears as if that menu is limited to .look files. if you have .cube you can try a converter or try to use speedgrade to convert. then place the .look files in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015\Lumetri\Looks\Cine Looks". if you dont want to convert your .cube files, then you would have to place them in the luts\technical folder and use the "basic correction" pulldown menu.

if you want to load up the speedgrade lumetri looks that were in the effects panel in cc2014 but seem to be gone in cc2015, copy them from here "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe SpeedGrade CC 2015\Look Examples\Style" to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015\Lumetri\Looks\Cine Looks".

I'm having this exact same problem.  It's odd that you can browse to a *.cube file and use it fine, but Premiere only seems to want to add *.look files to it's dropdown menu in the Creative section of the panel.  I.e. it's not that *.cube files are incompatible, it's just that they are strangely invisible!

Seems like a bug in the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the program allowing a .cube to be used when browsing and selecting it, suggests the devs programed the pulldown menu to only show .look files from those folders. not a real bug, but a design flaw from our point of view. im sure they didn't count on others adding to that menu. just means a few extra steps for us to convert luts, then we can have it the way we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, an oversight on their part - and a small one they are unlikely to get round to fixing any time soon.  Still, it's odd that one menu will do it and the other won't...

Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the program allowing a .cube to be used when browsing and selecting it, suggests the devs programed the pulldown menu to only show .look files from those folders. not a real bug, but a design flaw from our point of view. im sure they didn't count on others adding to that menu. just means a few extra steps for us to convert luts, then we can have it the way we want.

Let me look into this situation.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

Let me look into this situation.

Kevin

So what's the status on this?

It's quite annoying to have the power of Lumetri Color in PP be neutered by the impossibility of efficiently adding/using custom LUTs.

Was hoping to see this fixed in 2015.2 but apparently not

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

So what's the status on this?

It's quite annoying to have the power of Lumetri Color in PP be neutered by the impossibility of efficiently adding/using custom LUTs.

Very sorry to report that I don't see any action being taken for this specific issue. The status is that we need more bug reports in order for action to be taken, I'm afraid. Have you filed one yet? If not, here's the link.

At least there is a workaround via a LUT converter or using SpeedGrade as Ronin points out. I'm afraid that this is your only option, currently. I will see what engineering has to say once they return from the IBC conference.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the Style LUT's over from Speedgrade to Premier like you suggested, but I still don't see it. Am I supposed to copy the complete folder over into the Cine Looks folder, or only the content? Or, is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just copying the .look files over to the premiere folder should be enough. it might require a restart of premiere for the new .look files to show up in the lumetri color panel. these wont add anything to the effects presets if thats where you are looking.

the .look files operate different from the new looks in cc2015, which require an adjustment lut in the basic correction tab. so if you want to keep them organized, you can add a prefix or suffix to the file names of the .look files copied over from speedgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked in every possible preset folder in Premier and cannot find anything new. I am new to all this new "look, lut and cube" jargon - haven't a clue what they mean.

When referring to adding a prefix or suffix, what exactly do you mean by this?

Thank you for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copying over the .look files will only allow them to show up in the lumetri color panel Lumetri Color Panel explained - Premiere Pro CC 2015 - YouTube

if you want effect presets, you will have to save a preset of lumetri color with one of the looks chosen Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Effect presets

Prefix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prefix | Define Prefix at Dictionary.com

Suffix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Suffix | Define Suffix at Dictionary.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your response.

Thanks for the definitions - I know what they mean 🙂 I just did not understand what should be added as a prefix or suffix.

I'll go have a look at our links, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the lumetri color panel list is sorted alphabetically. so if you add a prefix, it will group all the speedgrade looks together, if you add suffix it will sort them by their default name but mixed with the others that work differently. its up to you, how you want them to be listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried just opening the .look files from the "creative" folder with notepad and it's a human readable xml style format. The Adobe presets all link to .cube files in the LUT folders, so if you want to use your .cube files but have them show up in the creative menu, just copy one of the look files for each .cube file, rename it appropriately and put the filename of your .cube file in the correct xml tag, then it will load and you don't have to convert anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you clarify this workflow? Where do we copy the look files, in finder or in premiere? What is the correct xml tag? Thanks for taking time to post this reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please elaborate on the steps? I am on a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per dummergold - these steps easily worked for me to recapture missing LOOKS not carried over from PP 2015.2 to PP 2015.3 but which were found in SpeedGrade.

I'm translating for MAC:

Go to: Applications/Adobe> Adobe SpeedGrade CC 2015> Look Examples> Style

Note: these inner files of applications are hidden by default in a MAC. So to see them you will need to UNHIDE them. You do this by going to

1. Finder > Applications > Utilities>Terminal

2. In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES.

3. Press return.

4. Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch. (don't recall this step mattering but am herein including)

5. To view these files hereafter, you 1) open finder 2)click on the application icon (i.e. Adobe SpeedGrade CC 2015) to highlight it then 3) press down option key at the same time as clicking the "perform tasks key" (looks like a wheel) and select "show package contents" and voila - you will see all files. Now you are ready to perform the steps.

copy LOOKS that are missing from PP 2015.13 (if they are there; mine were) and

paste into Premiere Pro 2015.3 (Finder/Applications/Adobe> Adobe Premiere Pro 2015.3> Lumetri> LUTs> Creative)

Restart PP and you will find those LOOKS now available among other looks just where they should have been all along (PP> Lumetri Color> Creative> Look - drop down menu)

NOTE: As of CC 2017 (12.1): Please do not add looks inside the app package any more. There is a new folder you can make. See the release notes for details or scroll down in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The LUTs I am trying to "recapture" are actually LUTs I've downloaded from the internet and converted to .LOOK for use in the Creative folder. These LUTs work perfectly in Speedgrade BUT appear as a checkerboard in Premiere. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines