• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects must be installed...

Advocate ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now experiencing the "After Effects must be installed to import this file." issue. I first noticed it in a new project where I had created a Motion Graphics Template in AE and added it to the Essential Graphics Panel. When trying to use the template in Premiere, it couldn't recognize that AE was installed. Tried moving the cache away from the root of the drive, as was suggested earlier, but no luck. Now I've opened a project from 2 weeks ago, and the linked AE comps in it are offline. Even trying to replace a simple clip with "Replace with AE comp ... " fails, getting the above message.

This is a freshly built system that has not had earlier versions of CC installed. Both versions are the latest.

Here's what I've tried -

- Moved the cache from the root

- Signed out of and quit CC, then rebooted and signed back in.

- Uninstalled both PPro and AE, cleaned then reinstalled.

Steve Brame

Asus P6X58D Premium

Core i7 950

24GB RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 770 4GB (388.71)

Windows 10 Home 64bit

System Drive(OS, Projects) - Crucial SSD 275GB

2nd Drive(Pagefile, Media Cache) - SSD 150GB

Media Drive - Internal 2 Disk RAID0(onboard RAID controller) - 1TB

Adobe CC 2018

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Maurice, I was about to try this solution, and had a thought, so I checked to see if I had rechecked 'Run as Administrator' for both programs after re-install. I had neglected to do so for Premiere. Mind you, both programs were set to be 'Run as Administrator' when this all started(that's the first thing I checked). Now everything is working. Seems that the re-install had actually cleared things up, but it was waiting for the 'Run as Administrator' setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on an AE project file on the hard drive.  Does AE open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

• What is the exact version of Premiere Pro & After Effects (check from the help menu)?
  • What is the source of your Motion Graphics Template or which version of After Effects you used to create?

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 15.0.0 Build 180

Premiere Pro 12.0.0 Build 224

The current version of AE was used to create the Motion Graphics Template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-install both programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Uninstalled both PPro and AE, cleaned then reinstalled."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to re-install all day long if for some reason multiple re-installs would possibly work. However, I'm on a limited data plan, and I'll have to start paying for each re-install. I'm pretty sure that Adobe wouldn't reimburse me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sebrame,

there's a possible solution I've found on StackOverflow.

» after effects - Adobe Dynamic link between PremierPro and AfterEffects is not working - Stack Overfl...

Could you please give that a try and see if it works?

Be sure to replace every   gray marked sentence  there with your installation paths, etc.

Kind Regards,
Maurice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maurice, I was about to try this solution, and had a thought, so I checked to see if I had rechecked 'Run as Administrator' for both programs after re-install. I had neglected to do so for Premiere. Mind you, both programs were set to be 'Run as Administrator' when this all started(that's the first thing I checked). Now everything is working. Seems that the re-install had actually cleared things up, but it was waiting for the 'Run as Administrator' setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Kevin or Kulpreet, it appears to be a 'Permissions' problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sebrame, thanks for letting us know in a detailed way! Happy to hear that it worked out for you this way

If I understood you correctly: you've now re-checked "Run as Administrator" on both Apps and everything runs fine again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct! I've never read anywhere that checking that was required or advised, but it's always been a policy I've had.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Maurice - your solution worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling - reinstalling 10 minutes.

At least on my dinosaur system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, sebrame is on a limited data plan Uninstalling and reinstalling (which he or she also tried before without luck) can be quite costly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse my ignorance: what is a limited data plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Data plans are for mobile internet usage. You pay a fixed amount of money and get - for example - 2GB monthly. Every other MB that you use beyond that fixed GB rate costs additional money

Here's a website that explains it: What Is a Data Plan for a Cell Phone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I have 10GB a month - after that I have to start paying $15 per additional GB. Normally I'll just drive to a wifi spot that I know has  good speeds, but that's not an option with Adobe CC on a workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is a limited data plan.

A horrible way to do business.  Speed alone should be the determining factor for price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, the actual plan is for unlimited data at 4G speeds, which in my case turns out to be ~15Mbs download. However, after 10GB of data transfer, the speed is throttled to 3G speeds, which drops it down to ~500Kbps. Downloading Adobe CC apps at ~500Kbps takes several hours, and therefore isn't an option. My carrier is Verizon, although it's a common plan structure with many wireless carriers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think that's a bad way to do business.  I know all cell providers do, I just think it's...bad.

But the real question is, why are you using your cell phone for Internet access?  Video editing is one activity where a broadband line, and especially a fiber optic connection if available, is reeeeeeealy recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're on a farm in very rural North Carolina. The only other service available in our rural location is DSL or satellite. We previously had the DSL service from the telephone company, and it was abysmal - total loss of connection 20+ times daily, so it was unusable for lengthy data transfers. We had satellite for a bit, but it was cost prohibitive. Luckily, there are a handful of wifi spots in the area with really good speeds - Duke University Hospital being one of the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

I feel for ya.  Having had it for a while now, I just won't live anywhere I can't get FiOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, there are some higher-end subdivisions out here within a mile or so, and fiber is being installed there. Also, the local cable provider dropped a cable down our road a few years ago, but stopped about ¼ mile from our location, and have no plans to extend it further. It's like being totally surrounded by water, and no way to drink any of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines