• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple ProRes MXF OP1a - what is it for?

Participant ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know what Apple Prores MXF OP1a is used for? I have mxf footage and am transcoding it to Prores.  Should I transcode it to Apple Prores MXF OP1a since the footage is aready in this wrapper, then make Prores proxies to edit with?  Or not, just do the safe thing and transcode to Prores 422 in the Quicktime wrapper as the new master clip, and then continue my workflow of making low res proxies to edit with?

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

It's ProRes in an MXF wrapper instead of a MOV wrapper.

As far as Premiere Pro goes, you could stay with MXF or switch to MOV and get the same benefit of using the mezzanine CODEC.   

ProRes is very efficient for full resolution or proxy.   Depending on drive storage capacity and speed, I would consoder skipping proxies.

Whichever flavor of ProRes that you choose, set the Sequence Video Previews to match.  ProRes clips are one of the formats that can be their own preview file (no initial yel

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton could easily help with this. My recollection is the Op1a is more of a professional deliverables file, specified in certain organizational workflows, perhaps network type ones. I could be wrong of course, but ...I think that's it.

For editing, transcoding to ProRes422 would normally be considered a very good choice. And could then easily go back on export if needed for your deliverables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe you are right, Neil. Your reply jogged my memory on a project a few years ago where I delivered, as requested, in 'Op1a' and it was for a PBS broadcast.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Material Exchange Format (MXF) is the default format for Avid Media Composer.  The CODEC is likely to be Avid DNx instead of Apple ProRes, but ProRes has been supported on the Avid side for awhile now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that jogs my memory even more - it was DNxHD MXF OP1a - thanks to both of you - I will not lose track of my mental note about OP1a, why its in the Media Encoder format list, again :). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's ProRes in an MXF wrapper instead of a MOV wrapper.

As far as Premiere Pro goes, you could stay with MXF or switch to MOV and get the same benefit of using the mezzanine CODEC.   

ProRes is very efficient for full resolution or proxy.   Depending on drive storage capacity and speed, I would consoder skipping proxies.

Whichever flavor of ProRes that you choose, set the Sequence Video Previews to match.  ProRes clips are one of the formats that can be their own preview file (no initial yellow bar in the Time Ruler).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Warren for the explanation and the advice.  And it's good to know that there's no yellow bar when Previews are set to Prores.  (I've been wondering what was the best setting for that parameter for a while :).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I am not at all sure what it's for - as pointed out above, it's a prores in an mxf wrapper, and a lot of folks don't accept them. I tend to use Quicktime prores myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are some b-cast and/or streaming organizations that require them. So ... it's the old thing if you need them, you need them. If you don't, why bother?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines