• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio getting out of sync w/ iPhone video

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm pretty new to Premiere Pro CC. I have video shot on my iPhone 5c I'm working on editing into a short film, and on each video file I have, the video and audio get increasingly out of sync towards the end of the file. This is occurring with every single video file shot on iPhone, despite the fact that obviously the video and audio were recorded together in the same file. I'm editing on MacBook Air running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. My iPhone is running iOS 10.3.2. What can I do about this?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

At this time, Premiere Pro does not support editing with Variable Frame Rate material.

You need to convert your iPhone source files to Constant Frame Rate.

You can do this by downloading Handbrake (free)

https://handbrake.fr/

and converting the files to CFR files.

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 10.31.01 AM.png

MTD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time, Premiere Pro does not support editing with Variable Frame Rate material.

You need to convert your iPhone source files to Constant Frame Rate.

You can do this by downloading Handbrake (free)

https://handbrake.fr/

and converting the files to CFR files.

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 10.31.01 AM.png

MTD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks MTD. However, I've converted my first file and received this error message from Premiere Pro: Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 2.24.55 PM.png

The other "3 warnings" are exactly the same. It won't allow me to open the files in the source monitor nor drag them into the timeline. Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't know what is causing this. Maybe someone will be able to post a solution.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, the last issue seems to have resolved itself. I noticed that the .mp4 file icon had changed to a video thumbnail, and when I tried it again, it worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the converted file stay in sync in Premiere?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio sync is still a bit off, but not nearly as much as before the conversion. I rendered my sequence and it's still a bit out of sync. However, some of the other problems I started to encounter after the original post (it started to fail to add video to the timeline no matter what I did) have been resolved by this. If anyone has further suggestions for preventing the audio sync problems without adjusting each clip, I'd be grateful to hear them. Much appreciation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it is now having the aforementioned issue again: When I try to create a subclip, it creates a subclip of the audio only. When I click on the icon to drag video only, it will not drag into the timeline. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you converted the footage, did you create a new sequence or are you still editing in the same sequence that once contained the old footage?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an entirely new project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, it is allowing me to copy the entire .mp4 file into the sequence with video and audio, but not allowing me to create subclips that contain both video and audio. So I've been editing within the sequence. However, there is still the issue where the audio is increasingly out of sync towards the end of each file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Compressor?

Sorry to make you jump through hoops, but if so transcode the original iPhone file to Pro Res via compressor and set the frame rate.

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 2.49.15 PM.png

Test one of those transcoded files.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MtD: I don't have Compressor. Is there an alternative software that will transcode the files that is cheaper or free? I'm also considering downloading a free trial of Final Cut Pro X, if I can't convert the files to something compatible with Premiere Pro. Although I'd prefer to avoid this, because I was trained in Premiere Pro and have never used Final Cut before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had problems with sync issues from iPhone material using either iMovie or Final Cut Pro X.

The Handbrake solution is the most often suggested and seems to work for most users (based on my reading of posts on this forum) -  in my experience, it did not - so I used Apple Compressor to the conversion and got better results.

What's going to be a little challenging is that both iMovie and Final Cut Pro X use a fundamentally different editing paradigm - some like it and some do not - that is very different from Premiere Pro and FCP-7 and earlier.

Download the FCPX  free trial and test drive it.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meg The Dog,

Thank you! Hand Brake was not working for me and I had almost given up on finding a solution after trying some many other things. This is definitely the best option for anyone using the latest iOS system and who is proficient on premier/after effects (Adobe programs)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Handbrake you have to set note the VFR button AND set a specific frame rate. If you choose "same as source" from the frame rate selections you will still get VFR out even with the CFR button checked.

That "gotcha" gets a lot of people. I'd suggest going black to Handbrake and see that you choose a,specific number frame rate.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil: I set the frame rate to 29.97 fps in Handbrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines