Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Slowed Down After Importing to Premiere Pro

Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I Import a video into Premiere Pro the audio is slower than normal. I was able to fix this by speeding it up to 900%, but I only have a few seconds of audio because most of it was cut off. So my question is, how can I stop the audio from getting slowed down?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Hi PhineasK,

To workaround this issue, users will convert the variable frane rate footage to a fixed/constant frame rate using the freeware applications HandBrake or Shutter Encoder software before importing and editing in Premiere Pro. 

Mobile phones, screen capturing applications, drones, & webcams often use Variable Frame Rate recording, which is not ideal for use in Premiere Pro or Media Encoder.

This could affect the quality of the final output of audio, video, or both due to frame rate

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

It could be some encoding issue, try using FFMpeg to re-encode the audio file:

https://youtu.be/Yb8X8YuI0xk

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

I imported the audio to Audacity and then exported it as a .wav file and that worked for me. Honestly ridiculous that opensource software fixes this when I pay a subscription for Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Troubleshooting https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2261475

-Premiere Pro Video Editing Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-WITH Exactly which version of Premiere Pro

-WITH exactly what are the codec details of what you are editing, and were did you get the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PhineasK,

To workaround this issue, users will convert the variable frane rate footage to a fixed/constant frame rate using the freeware applications HandBrake or Shutter Encoder software before importing and editing in Premiere Pro. 

Mobile phones, screen capturing applications, drones, & webcams often use Variable Frame Rate recording, which is not ideal for use in Premiere Pro or Media Encoder.

This could affect the quality of the final output of audio, video, or both due to frame rate conversion.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that using Handbrake to re-encode the footage whether it's constant framerate or peak [variable framerate), works just fine. This issue has happened a few times for me now on different versions of premiere and I was able to get it to work. My issue was everything played fine everywhere else, except the most important place I needed it to, PREMIERE PRO..my audio played 200% slow. when i sped it up, it was now cut off...

..now to vent a little bit on Premiere Pro...why does a free software like Handbrake help us fix severe footage problems yet an expensive SUBSCRIPTION to Adobe cannot fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. The content i imported had normal video but the audio was both slowed down and pitched down. I just put the video into HandBrake and set the Audio settings to "AAC" with the bitrate at "256"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, downloaded some IG TV footage that played great on the PC but imported with sound like a newly-awoken (and hungover) Barry White. So I kept the video in Premiere Project but unlinked the audio and video then deleted the bogus audio track. I then went outside Premiere and converted the otherwise kosher MP4 to only MP3 (you can do this on-line quickly & freely) and dropped that usable audio only track into my timeline right below the related video track. Being the same size they were e-z to line-up....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same exact issue importing a 17min clip from IGTV! haha I even tried converting the clip to audio straight in Adobe Encoder and it still came out slow/distorted. Tried 2 diff computers, Mac/PC, AE, Premier, Audition, stereo, mono, mp3, wav, checked my sound drivers and all. The online converter thing worked by uploading the same content I downloaded to the converter site so it's gotta be an Adobe issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sameee exact thing happened to me!! the igtv footage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tiktok videos have the same problem too.

Actually every application used could fix the sound problem but Premiere...and they want my money? Yeah sure...dream on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. MPC, HandBrake, VLC, Avidemux and other software plays the audio just fine, but Premiere somehow has a smooth brain and can't handle/convert the audio properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be some encoding issue, try using FFMpeg to re-encode the audio file:

https://youtu.be/Yb8X8YuI0xk

This video demonstrates how to fix "slowed" audio after it's been imported into Adobe Premiere Pro or After Effects. -------- The command I run in the video is: ffmpeg -I SOURCE_FILENAME.m4a CONVERTED_FILENAME.mp3 (notice the filetype difference) Type it into a terminal window and hit enter. You ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in 2020 (if Phineask12's post was in 2017??). Bung into Handbrake, fix the frame rate, import to prem, sorted. Prem as a paid-for industry class software really aught to have this as an in-built feature/service vs me using a freeware prior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported the audio to Audacity and then exported it as a .wav file and that worked for me. Honestly ridiculous that opensource software fixes this when I pay a subscription for Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I too am having this issue with Tiktok videos in Premiere 2020, however not in Premiere 2019. It's very annoying, it's the only reason I keep both version installed, but I'd rather not! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these conversions in handbrake seem to be working.  Video plays fine but the audio sounds like Wild Bill from Silence of the Lambs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have tried every suggestion from this forum page and nothing worked for me eather. I too have a laptop with an older version of Premiere however nothing worked. In the end this is the only sollution I have found to work completely:

1) open VLC player

2) click "media" button and select "convert/save" from the dropdown menu

3) choose the output audio format in the "convert" window

4) export mp3 file

This way I managed to extract audio files from all the video footage files that Premiere imported that sounded corrupted. I must say that this is really a disgrace that we are forced to lose hours and hours with this licensed product to find workarounds for something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place. If this keeps up I'm definitely cancelling my subscription because I cannot imagine editing another film feature with these kind of problems with a licensed software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to pop in to say your solution with VLC worked for me! Thank you for the post, huge help to me.

Should be noted I did not try any of the other solutions suggested. I have VLC player installed so converting it there is quite quick and doesn't add a lot of time to my workflow. I guess this is the path forward for me until adobe fixes this.

Also I'm running version 14.1 (all later versions currently present problems for me with rendering)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it helped. It saved me loads of time and I wanted to share it in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with importing a 70min clip from IGTV file with all Adobe products

Only VLC could export audio correctly but as long as video duration 

I tried Filmora 9 to export MP3 audio and it did for me only in 3min

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

without installing any software, convert online mp4 to mp3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We'll get this checked. Does it happen with any specific file format? 

Let us know.  

Regards,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.mov files with variable framrates from what I have noticed. 
Hasn't happened often, still annoying though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see! Check out this article to preserv audio sync after importing VFR file: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-work-with-variable-frame-rate-vfr...

I hope it helps. Let us know.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't.
The only way around it was to send it to handbrake to convert into another format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines