Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Slowed Down After Importing to Premiere Pro

Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I Import a video into Premiere Pro the audio is slower than normal. I was able to fix this by speeding it up to 900%, but I only have a few seconds of audio because most of it was cut off. So my question is, how can I stop the audio from getting slowed down?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Hi PhineasK,

To workaround this issue, users will convert the variable frane rate footage to a fixed/constant frame rate using the freeware applications HandBrake or Shutter Encoder software before importing and editing in Premiere Pro. 

Mobile phones, screen capturing applications, drones, & webcams often use Variable Frame Rate recording, which is not ideal for use in Premiere Pro or Media Encoder.

This could affect the quality of the final output of audio, video, or both due to frame rate

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

It could be some encoding issue, try using FFMpeg to re-encode the audio file:

https://youtu.be/Yb8X8YuI0xk

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

I imported the audio to Audacity and then exported it as a .wav file and that worked for me. Honestly ridiculous that opensource software fixes this when I pay a subscription for Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the file extension to .AVI and will work! cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anytime I've ran into this issue I just convert the file to .mp4 using Handbrake. I'm not sure why this free program can handle it better than Adobe, but once it's converted you'll have a working source file to edit! Deff recommended! https://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm using Handbreak (free software) converting the tiktok/IGTV file to MP4 will go around the issue when importing to premier...  Thanks Roy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey everyone - i am working on a project which is combined lots of different phone clips, i've got frame rates all over the shop from 23.99 (seemingly audio is fine), 24.03 (is slowed down), 29.42 seemed to be working, one at 30fps is fine, one at 30fps is slowed down - seems random. I have tried converting these in encoder and hand brake, into MP4, MP3, Wav, for some reason it's not fixing any of them at all. Is there something I could be doing? Would be unbelievably grateful if anyone could help me get to the bottom of this! Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Community,

Currently, the best solution for your variable frame rate footage is to convert it in Shutter Encoder or Handbrake. I prefer Shutter Encoder these days, but Handbrake will work if you don't mind .mp4 only exports. Shutter Encoder supports both .mp4 and pro editing codecs, like ProRes, so I prefer that.

Be it .mp4 or ProRes: it depends what your needs are, what your system can work with best, and what you prefer for your workflow.

The question is, "why can't Premiere Pro handle variable frame rates?" The short answer is that Shutter Encoder and others use FFMPEG open source encoders and decoders, while Adobe uses proprietary ones. I branched off those posts that had questions about that here.

If you would like Adobe to use tech to handle the conversion of these formats better, here is one of the better feature request I found that you can upvote: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/34370416-handle-variable-fr...

If you have other problems related to variable frame rate issues with audio like the OP had, please feel free to create a brand new post. This post has been answered, is a legacy post, and has a feature request you can upvote so we will lock it to avoid any undue confusion as to the current status of this issue. Thanks!

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines