Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

my system is Windows10.

Since Premiere 2018 when I plug in my Headphones Premiere doesn't automatically
recognize it. Because of this I have to configure every time when I change
between Speakers and Headphone in the > Audio Hardware > Default Output
settings > Headphones or Speakers.

All other programs like Browser, YouTube, ect., on my PC are automatically recognize
either Speakers or Headphones are active.

Question:

Can you please help how to configure Premier 2018 in order to have Speakers or
Headphones automatically recognized?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Hello everyone,

Please vote for the following feature request: Fix the Default audio output for iMac Pro – Adobe video & audio apps

Add any comments if you like.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry to say that I don’t think this is possible. Perhaps a feature request is in order as i’ve Seen other users ask about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend using a set of speakers with a headphone jack, and plugging your headphones into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about bluetooth headphones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frainc RuaWhat about bluetooth headphones?

I would recommend using a set of speakers with a headphone jack, and plugging your headphones into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an issue since CC 2015 was introduced, Adobe is aware, and they've officially said "not enough people complain to make it a priority." Source: Audio Hardware Changes in Premiere Pro CC2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this works with new versions ( I use cs6).

Normally I have a plug in my mini stereo output (headphone jack) going to a surround sound thing and use those speakers. But sometimes I don't want that and use headphones.

If PPro is open ( or audition ) and I switch with the program(s) open, windows gives me jibberish about something being unplugged and plugged in, and something else pops up in PPro that says 'accept' or whatever. I forget exactly. That switches the output fine. I don't have to reconfigure (choose) sound output stuff via preferences.

But if I do the switch when programs are closed ( playing some other stupid program to hear sound files ) then I have to reconfigure when I open PPro or Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2018 (installed fresh literally today) on a Mac (up to date as of this morning macOS High Sierra 10.13.5), and when you unplug your headphones nothing happens. No switch, no warning, no popup, nothing. You have to manually open Preferences > Audio Hardware and make the switch every time.

No bueno, ya know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Si, that's creepy !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feed audio to an outboard receiver via 6-channel connection. To use headphones I use the jack on the receiver so I don't have to change the settings.

Works great both ways.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is a real pain in the a**

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then file over in the new UserVoice system. You can probably find others that have already filed via searching, and add on comments to their posts.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature Request form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Please vote for the following feature request: Fix the Default audio output for iMac Pro – Adobe video & audio apps

Add any comments if you like.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all.

My feedback: It's July 2018, and reading through this thread, which was started in 2015, was depressing, quite honestly.  Especially the part where you've asked for people to vote for a "feature request" to fix the issue for iMac Pros... while people have said the issue exists with Windows machines, too.  If Adobe is compiling statistics on how many requests/complaints/cries for help they get for any given issue, splitting the statistics up not only by operating system but by computer type is going to make the number of complaints for a 'global' issue seem like a fraction of what it really is.

I recently switched to Premiere Pro from FCPX.  I would now like to ask anyone who knows--does Avid take this long to deal with issues with Media Composer?  (Now that there's a version of MC that's much cheaper than the full-blown version, I am really wondering whether that's something I should be considering.)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the useful things at NAB is the aisle-way discussions of users of the various (pick your poison) NLE's/grading/fx/audio apps. Many folks looking for the perfect bullet, but from the discussions ... and from popping over to various forums ... they all seem to have their issues.

Some folks have found that their work is better on one than others, some have tried all and ended back where they started, no matter where 'start' was. Resolve freebie can work easily on some 'small' systems, but in 1080 only ... soon as you go 4K, and buy the 'studio' version, it needs more horsepower. Apple clearly 'gooses' FCP to work within the Mac OS in some areas. But of course, you can't work with anyone on a PC then.

In the discussions last year, Avid was talked of as stable (mostly) ... but stodgy. You mileage, however, will vary. So it's something where we each need to sort out what works to get our work out.

This last release of PrPro (12.1.2) has fixed a ton of bugs in toto. A few bugs have been fixed for most people that had them but still affect a few users here & there. And there's a few more to go. But it's been a lot better. Clearly a changed emphasis on the part of the management of the app, and I appreciate that.

One thing to realize ... PrPro is the biggest NLE out there by user-base, probably by a long ways. With the most diverse user base also. Meaning they do have to work at solving issues in things others don't have to worry about so much. You'll see more posted here of the troubles, while the vast majority are just working. Which is the same really of any of the app's internal forums.

PrPro team is much more responsive to posts on the UserVoice forum, as you never ever heard anything back from the old way. Now, you can search for and comment on bugs filed by others, and see engineer responses and queries about them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recruited people in my office to vote for this simple feature request, many thought it was a ridiculous problem.

I'm always looking at different software, I feel like competition is the only thing that incentives responsive customer service. Recently I purchased Affinity for my vector work because I'm not satisfied with Illustrator, and I love it. Keep on searching until you find what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also is a problem with Windows running Adobe Premier Elements 2018. That is, PE2018 gets "confused" as to which audio output device I am using. Every other piece of software that I have recognizes that I've set the speaker output to be my audio device. PE2018 does not, so every time I run that program, the speaker output automatically goes to my laptop internal speakers. In order to redirect the sound output to my audio interface (while PE2018 is running), I must go into the Windows setting and (oddly enough) select my internal speakers as the target... then (also oddly enough) the sound will go to the desired audio interface.

Of course that means for every other piece of software I am running, that shoots the sound output back to my internal speakers... which I don't want.

So it's a real pain in the backside to constantely be jumping to the windows sound settings, evertime I jump in/out of Adobe PE2018.

Based on what I read, Adobe really needs to address this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the public beta ... System default is the top option in the Audio Hardware preferences.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! For those who can't access the video, the key is to use the "Audio MIDI Setup" utility to add both headphones and speakers to an "Aggregate Device," and then select that in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum post is for Windows 10, but the feature request link you've shared is for Mac. Is there a Windows version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

philosophically, keep on dreaming, creating, and producing what you want. Don't depend on others to make it happen, if you can possibly make it yourself happen ( depends on real life, resources, free time, etc. ). With pathos and compassion and some degree of humanitarian ( cultural history and classics ) thought, it's really cool to make stuff.

: )

It's OK if you can't. The tragedy is if you give up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a terrific thing to wake up to on a Saturday: a broad range of measured and thoughtful replies to my post.  Thanks, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here here...  Operating Premiere Pro CC on Windows 10, 15" Surface Book 2.  I've created a shortcut to open my audio hardware preferences... but I still have to change to the correct output (speakers or headphones; I often have to change between them during the day), then hit 'ok', then another 'ok' when a warning that I can't undo that action (or something like that) pops up.  Kind of silly, no...?

If anybody's discovered a way to make this basic functionality work on either a PC or a Mac, would love to hear about it.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it"s may 2019. I'n quite shocked to see that Adobe is still not capable to fix an obvious annoying bug (in 4 years !!??) Come on Adobe get moving! It's a simple bugfix that can be solved in two weeks (one agile sprint). I have never in my live have to vote ??? to have a bug fixed. People are paying for this stuff so give then some service, and fire the person that has us waiting for four years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You and of course many others find it to be amazing that the app doesn't auto-flow with the "default" system setting.

I've been at NAB for 6 years running, TA at Adobe's MAX with a lot of other experienced pros ... and many of them would be HORRIFIED if this was changed to your preference.

They carefully setup their pro-app audio functions, and just because they plug in the 'phones for listening to a tune, they do NOT want their setup in Premiere changed.

So it's something that would need an option to apply, or you would simply change which group of users are outraged.

And I'm continually puzzled that so many users who want X behavior changed really have trouble understanding that across the full user base, there will always be those who don't want that change. It's something to consider when pushing for changes. As I constantly do.

Because ... yes, I'd love to have that option for those like you that want it. BUT ... I would never want that as the default behavior myself.

And that's why you need to vote on it ... to add metrics to those like you who want it, because it is clearly not universally wanted by all users. We're all different, every editor I've ever seen works differently.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines