• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch import multiple RED Footage cards?

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possible?  I've always just imported one card at a time.

And if I do need to import multiple cards (folders), I drag them into the project from the finder and just deal with all the extra folders and duplicate files.  Would love to know if there's a way around this, or some clever trick. 

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Does the workaround for importing multiple dng files into Premier Pro also apply for importing multiple RED footage? I paste link to workaround thread here

How to import multiple DNG files into Premiere

so, if you were to search finder for 'only showing those .R3D'a that end in _001.R3D', instead of our '000000.dng', then drag the results into Premiere Pro's Project Panel (or bin) does that perform the same as the multiple dng workaround?

i do it all the time in Windows for multiple dng folders a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you loading direct from cards, or from media you've already uploaded to a drive?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'proper' way to deal with RED media is using the Media Browser.

Unfortunately, it doesn't play nice when every clip is stored in it's own separate folder.  You'll need to go into each folder one at a time and import every clip individually.

It's a very serious design flaw.  Please let Adobe know you want it corrected ASAP.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R Neil Haugen - media already uploaded

@Jim_Simon - already submitted the feature request, thanks!

What would be interesting, is if there is a way you can create a search bin with some parameters so that only display the .R3D files in order and without duplicates.  I've tried, but can't get it to eliminate A) Folders B) all instances of the duplicates.  

So in this screenshot, I have some RED cards I imported through the finder.  If there's a way to display them within a bin/folder, or using the Find option, or Search bin, where it only shows those .R3D's that end in "_001.R3D" and without all the subfoldering, that would be a HUGE help.

Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 8.09.15 AM copy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're getting that 'mess' because you're not doing it 'properly'...through Media Browser.  The only way to avoid it is to do it 'properly', which has the aforementioned design flaw.

So it's not ideal either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.  Was simply fishing for some possible hacks or work arounds so I could do it improperly and save boat loads of time importing individual card after individual card. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the workaround for importing multiple dng files into Premier Pro also apply for importing multiple RED footage? I paste link to workaround thread here

How to import multiple DNG files into Premiere

so, if you were to search finder for 'only showing those .R3D'a that end in _001.R3D', instead of our '000000.dng', then drag the results into Premiere Pro's Project Panel (or bin) does that perform the same as the multiple dng workaround?

i do it all the time in Windows for multiple dng folders along with 'ingest create proxies' and have long stopped using the one at a time finger excersize in Premiere Pro's Media Browser,,,, no waiting for Media Browser to read inside folder,,,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why I didn't think of that before, but I just tested it and it works fine.  Behold multiple cards, first clip only selected.  select all and import, easy as that.  Thank you dummergold!

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 9.54.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow! That is a lot of footage to do one at a time. Glad selecting all and importing at once works for you.

I have seen a person with RED set up the Media Browser beside the Project Panel, open the one card, and when all the media inside the card is seen in the Media Browser, select all and place in the Project Panel. That did the trick for importing one card at a time without the sub-folders. Good you have multi-card capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do file that Feature request, though.  We should not have to use a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

already have, thanks Jim.  Should I request it again every few weeks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your call on that.  My gut feeling is that more users asking helps more than multiple request from a few users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the work around Dummergold.

I've created a ticket for this on the user voice forums because I couldn't find one that clearly described this problem. Please give it an upvote if you're having this issue. 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/40415803-properly-import-lo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines