• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building a UHD Blue Ray Disk in Encore

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to build a Blue Ray disk using UHD MP4 rendered footage from Premiere Pro 2020.

Using Encore CS6 the disk is constructed and built then tested for issues prior to commencing the build process and prior to building no issues are repoerted.

The build is then commenced and the five timelines and one playlist are transcoded together with two menu's, a main menu and a chapter menu. the Blue Ray (BR) Disk is burnt from there.

On completion looking at the five timelines within the completed Encore project on two attempted burns one or two of the original timelines have patrially turned to a solid red colour. this is reflected in the finished BR Disk. if the project is saved then the reopened Encore project reflects the changes in the timelines. If the project is closed without saving the project reopens with the timelines remaining as they were prior to transcoding them.

The footage within the video is around 38 minutes duration and the original MP4 file size for all five sections of the video is 6.7 to 6.8 GB

In the setting I am using for Encore the the disk utilisation is showing between 3 and 4 GB usage from 25Gb

I have three questions

1. The reason for this change in the content of the sequence in the timeline / BR Disk

2. What are the  best project settings for rendering UHD in Encore

3. Is there a better way to construct the BRD by either using a  folder or image file then burn from there?

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, la mejor manera de quemar un video en un Bluray es usar el formato adecuado que es el que te envío en la foto:

Screenshot at May 24 10-46-19.png

 Con ello evitas que Encore vuelva a codificar el Mp4 y quizás allí es donde radica el problema.
Coméntanos si pudiste solucionar.
Saludos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply according to another responder Encore cannot handle UHD footage onto a Blue Ray Disk. Also I  now know that the issue is in the transcoding. I will try your suggestion but until now using footage in HD MPEG4 formate has worked without an issue. Thank you for your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mpeg2 Blu-ray is of lesser image quality compared to H.264

There is UDH software : https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-creator.htm but is somewhat limited.

Tried it a few years ago and gave up: one of the things was not being able to make a menu.

But maybe that has changed over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to build a Blue Ray disk using UHD...

By @David30042877co5f

Encore has no support for UHD. Encore tops out at 1080p.

If you opt for 1080p, use H.264 Blu-ray as the Format when exporting from Premiere Pro since .mp4 will always be re-encoded. (Avoid MPEG2 Blu-ray)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use your UHD footage in Encore but it will be re-encoded to 1080i.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply although  re-encoding into 1080i format somewhat defeats the object of UHD quality. I think that I am now looking for alternative software to build UHD footage onto a UHD blue ray disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David.

As has already been posted, you can't do UHD with Encore and you certainly don't want it to re-transcode your footage for the what - 4th time? It's the workflow you're looking at that really worries me though - why are you rendering your interim video files as lossy mp4 please? Whenever you have to render out an edit or anything at all that will later on especially be put to an optical disc please never use a lossy type such as MP4, H.264 - none of them. At the minimum you should do these to a Quicktime ProRes 422HQ file. They are a lot larger than the MP4 are for sure, but you're not making the fundamental error of encoding to a lossy file type that in turn will need to be transcoded to a lossy file type. You're throwing away resolution by doing this, making UHD utterly superfluous even if Encore did handle it.

The other thing is that by doing a UHD title in the first place you are also excluding all those who do not have a UHD capable player & display as a UHD Blu-Ray is not backwards compatible with 'Full HD' Blu-ray (aka 'regular') and you would therefore need to create both types as there were a seriously small number of UHD players sold (Personally, I believe this is why studios are currently trying to push streaming on demand instead of optical discs - they uprezzed a lot of catalogue to UHD/4K, but the UHD format was not the same evolutionary jump from regular Blu-ray as Blu was to DVD, and the lack of backwards compatibility on the discs sealed it's fate. If it had been allowed to mix HD & UHD on a disc - and it should be possible if the menu system is in 1920x1080 HD, with the UHD version of the film or whatnot being available as an option for those who had a player that could play it but no, that would have been too easy. The point is they spent money upscaling titles and want to get some sort of return on their payout - I have no sympathy as that'll teach them for faking their 'UHD' content in the first place).

Ahem. Sorry about that. Back to the topic.

Frame Rate is another consideration with Blu-ray. If your footage is at either 25 or 29.97fps (or 50/60fps) then you have to encode it as interlaced, not progressive scan and additionally you will have definite territory issues. 25fps often won't run in the USA/Japan, and 29.97 will often not run on EU Blu-ray players either. I'd absolutely recommend that if you have any choice in the matter, shoot & edit at 24fps (not 23.976) as Blu-ray can handle this universally in all territories with no need for either frame rate converting (which inevitably causes artefacts) or interlacing (which throws away half of your vertical resolution)

Blu-ray is a lot of fun, but has a steep learning curve.

Welcome to the madhouse!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your extremely helpful, well informed reply which clearly answers why I cannot use Adobe Encore also detailing a positive way forward with the rendering of UHD for use within a blue ray disk. My present raw footage is recorded in progressive 25fps which as the vast majority of my work these days is for personal use and only within the EU territory then this from what you indicate should not be an issue.
Regarding UHD Blue ray players I am one of the few people who possess one of these hence the reason for wishing to retain the final video output in this format. However I note your comments and future recordings can be completed in 24 FPS.
As Encore is incapable of producing UHD in a blue ray format I am somewhat at a loss of where to go as far as software is concerned to achieve a fully workable menued UHD Blue Ray DVD. Any suggestions on good workable software would be appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines