Copied

Can I edit HEVC in Premiere Pro 2023?

TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Yeah, I'm reading that you need a monster computer, and even those can only playback a single stream. Playing at 2x or 4x speed is probably out of the question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I edit HEVC in Premiere Pro 2023?

By @KazuT

Yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow me to rephrase: Some web sites have web H264 that plays back smooth in VLC, but plays back jittery in QT player, Premiere, etc. When I edit, it's still jittery. 

I thought it was HEVC, but it may be something else. The frame rate shows up as 30 fps, so it may not be a variable frame rate thing. 

As a workaround, I've been transcoding those files; but it can be time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was HEVC, but it may be something else.

By @KazuT

It can be your computer that not is powerful enough to handle HEVC. But even if it is, HEVC is not a nice to edit due to bad playback and the best thing to get a smooth editing experience in to use som kind of proxy workflow, iow transcoding the footage to an intra-frame codec such as Apple ProRes LT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be your computer that not is powerful enough to handle HEVC. But even if it is, HEVC is not a nice to edit due to bad playback and the best thing to get a smooth editing experience in to use som kind of proxy workflow, iow transcoding the footage to an intra-frame codec such as Apple ProRes LT.

By @Averdahl

@Averdahl I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max with 96 GB unified memory. What's a computer that's powerful enough to cut with HEVC in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Averdahl I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max with 96 GB unified memory. What's a computer that's powerful enough to cut with HEVC in Premiere?

By @KazuT

That should be powerful enough, but still, HEVC is a terrible editing codec to edit and a proxy workflow is the solution. Aim to transcode it to an I-frame codec such as Apple ProRes LT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I'm reading that you need a monster computer, and even those can only playback a single stream. Playing at 2x or 4x speed is probably out of the question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines