• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Update Causes Font Bug

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded all of our editors to the newest release of Premiere (v12.1) & After Effects CC (v15.1) and was immediately notified that something was wrong. All but one user complained that since the update they were missing fonts, in this case the font family was Gotham.

This was previously brought up to Adobe back in November here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2418916# Despite the fact that it never truly was fixed, it is labeled as "answered" by Dov Isaacs, which it most certainly has not been.

There he repeatedly claims that the fonts were never ever ever deleted by any Adobe Installer/Uninstaller, which I kind of doubt but I think he's referencing a different issue. I think there's something that is triggered in the install (maybe injecting XMP metadata? Which an entirely different issue) that modifies certain non-TypeKit font families in a way that makes them unrecognizable by the CC Suite.

I managed to find a workaround- I copied the fonts from the one unaffected user's system library and used those to reinstall for everybody else, overwriting the damaged font files. Despite getting this to work, I wanted to bring this up to see if it could be looked into by someone at Adobe. I have previously used the Feature Request/Bug Report Form​, and have done so for this already but that typically yields no results.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just talked to an Adobe support person. She knew of the problem and said there would be a patch coming out hopefully this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll change this to answered if the patch truly fixes that bug. It's surprising that they actually acknowledged it was an issue though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have this same issue - the font family FF Din is installed but not available when upgrading to 12.1

Mac 10.11.6

Hopefully this patch shows up quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know, this isn't a bug strictly exclusive to Premiere. The fonts were knocked offline from the After Effects update as well. I can post this in that forum as well, as for some reason Dov seemed to think that each specific bug needed to be placed in it's respective forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tested this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No dice for me. Updated, same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll just stay as is for the mo .. It is useful having fonts that work normally 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested Premiere 12.1.1 - it did not bring back our installed font family (FF DIN).

Although I'm beginning to wonder if it's more to do with the font file itself - it's the only installed font on our Macs that does not have a file type extension.  I'm going to try uninstalling and finding a .ttf or .otf version of the same font.

Regardless, that doesn't explain why 12.0.0 and 12.0.1 work with the font and 12.1 and 12.1.1 don't....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

II'm not sure what the problem is at all but many people have reported the same problem with many different fonts .. I tried uninstalling & reinstalling fonts but noting worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I was able to resolve this was to export the fonts from an unaffected computer, and use those exported files to overwrite the corrupt ones. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

report back if that solves anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something tells me the initial 12.1.0 update modified the font files within the system library which then causes them to not appear...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing more research here - it appears the problem fonts are composed of two parts:

1) DIN FF (Font Suitcase file)

2) DIN Bold, Black, Medium, Regular, Light variants (PostScript Type 1 outline font)

This according to Mac's Finder preview panel.  So perhaps the common thread is something about how Premiere handles one (or both) of those file types.

Are any of the fonts you all are having issues with one of those two types?

I was able to find .ttf versions of the DIN font, but when installing they gave me an error about "name table structure."  Looking it up, I was able to follow this guide....

http://www.iwebss.com/tech/540-fixing-fonts-with-validation-errors-on-mac

...to fix these .ttf fonts and install them successfully for Premiere 12.1.1

However, the original fonts are still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 12.1.1 bug patch released last night should fix most missing fonts issues.

If ... after working in that, and clearly cache files/relaunching PrPro, you still have missing fonts, you need to visit their new and vastly improved "feedback" service to post about it, so both the development team and other users can see what problem you're having with fonts.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature Request form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded 12.1.1 and IT DID NOT fix the issue.  The issue seems to be with Post Script fonts. It's only recognizing Open Type and True Type fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's as if they're inching closer and closer to making TypeKit be the only available font solution across CC, while forcefully corrupting all other fonts on your system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to convert fonts to different types for free? I'm finding paid solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 12.1.1 this morning and it did not fix the issue. I am still missing Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk. I don't think anything happened to the font files in my library (I am on a Mac) because the font works fine in Photoshop. It's killing me, I am waiting for this to get resolved so I can finish a project that's past due!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the patch didn't address the missing font issue. The only font related fix was: "Fixed a crash on launch in some cases when loading Cool Type fonts (these fonts are prevented from loading.)". I never had a problem with the program crashing, I just get an alert that the font is missing and being replaced. Waiting for tech support....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just got off with tech support. They told me that they have reported the problem to their engineers and this might not get fixed until the next release. They had no time frame for this. The only thing you can do is revert to the old version or create all your titles in photoshop or illustrator. I've tried photoshop and it has all the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea unfortunately after spending the good part of this week on this issue, the conclusion i came to was having to reinstall 12.0.0. And fonts show up just fine now.  I was able to export XML versions of my projects and for the most part the import was good but still had to redo some things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yikes! Third bloody problem with the latest updates to PS, AE, PP! Now this!

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 1.55.30 PM.png

These worked fine before the latest upgrade. Now not showing up in PP, AE, and PS. Font Book validates:

valid fonts.png

These are installed user fonts. Again, hasn't been an issue for years!

MacPro 5,1, OSX 10.11.6, 16GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines