• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Common things that cause slow playback.

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are some things to look for when you experience slow performance. 

• Slow hard drive. Put media on an SSD or faster HHD. Internal M.2 drives and SSD are optimal. 

• Full hard drive. Try clearing out your hard drive if it is full. 

• Bad editing codec. H.265 "HVEC". H.264. These codecs are not editing-friendly. Transcode your media to Apple ProRes. This is a much friendlier editing codec. Transcode if you need to. Most of the time my machine edits these codecs fine. But if you are running on a less beefy setup, then this will help. 

• This goes for audio as well. Instead of a compressed format such as .mp3, use .wav. If you have .mp3, transcode to .wav. This will alleviate audio dropout. 

• Often looked over is having many web browser tabs open. If you use your editing station as a general workstation that you access the internet through, then this can be a big performance hindrance. There will be times when people have 15 browser tabs open. Open task manager and look at how much memory, and CPU usage this is eating up. It's shocking. Closeout web browsers before editing. Even if you close the browser, go to Task Manager and end the process there. Often times I'll notice that it is still running in the background. 

• Large video files should be proxied. Apple ProRes Proxy works fine in most cases. It is still a high bit rate of "45mbps" for most videos. This solves most playback issues.

*Warning* Adobe does not support its own proxy workflow with some Premiere Pro functions.

"If your workflow relies on modifying the source clips using any of the following commands [Modify Audio Channels, Interpret Footage, Modify Timecode, Modify Captions], do not use proxies in Premiere Pro. Doing so will result in unexpected behavior."

• If you are editing with many photos, resize them before importing. Ex.) If you have a 4000x4000 image that is 30mb, resize it down to 1000x1000 or even 500x500 if you don't need to zoom/crop in. You can batch-resize images and import them instead of doing them one by one. 

• One small change can mean a world of difference. Check to see if any logos or images on your timeline have large dimensions. Sometimes you will import a 6,000 x 6,000 logo by accident, and this could be the only thing on your timeline that is causing your edit/export to be extremely long. Same advice as before, reduce the image size. 

• Check to see if the sequence settings match your media. Adjust accordingly. 

• Update your drivers, and see if the Game Ready driver or Studio Driver works best for you. This is for NVIDIA GPUs. 

• Motion graphics templates in Premiere. I have had a rough time using these, especially with complex templates. I never use them anymore unless they are very simple, like a simple lower third. I always do my motion graphics in After Effects, then import them into Premiere. Unless it's a very simple motion graphic template. But these can add up. If there are lots of them, it will certainly take a toll. 

Of course, this all depends on your machine. I recently had a project that was a 4-minute video and I used one motion graphic template in it. "It was a fairly complex template". I exported the sequence and it took 45 minutes. 

I found the same template, but for After Effects. Did the export in AE.. took about 5 minutes to edit, export, and then import it into Premiere. I exported the same sequence, and the time went down to 3 minutes. 

• Smart Render. 
Pre-render you're sequence whenever you can. 

Set you're pre-rendered settings to an appropriate format for your needs. Ie,) if you don't need extremely high video quality, then don't choose Apple ProRes 422 HQ or 4444. Set it to something else like ProRes Proxy. This one still has about 45mbps. Which is still higher than the normal 15-40mbps video. 

This will allow you to use the high-quality previews when exporting. Your machine will not have to render everything again the next time you export with slight changes. Only slight changes will need to render. This is a huge performance hack. 
check mark the "use previews" box when exporting. But Pre-render before doing so. 

• Cleaning your computer hardware components. I have known people who have never cleaned the inside of their machines. Dust builds up on everything in your machine. YouTube how to clean the inside, and get all the dust out of your components. This can help a lot. You will be surprised. Dust can cause bad connections between hardware. So definitely want that gone. 

• If you have done all of this, you can turn off all your FX by toggling the FX button in and off on your sequence. Turning them off will enable you to playback your footage without FX applied. 
for example, if you color-graded Sony FX3 SLog 3 footage that is 4k 10bit and you have 6 adjustment layers for a beautiful look, then use the FX button to turn off all FX while editing so playback is ever smoother. This combined with proxies will make anything playable.

• If you have a mountain of external hard drives hooked up to your system try to make a workflow where you can turn off some of these when editing. Try putting all of your design materials, templates, and such on one drive then having access to it whenever but also being able to unplug client hat drives when they don't need to be worked on. 

• If you have a server then you will probably know about mounting and unmounting drives, so I'll leave that info out. 

• Check the ports on your system to see if you are hooking up your hard drives with the fastest port on your system. You could be hooking up a USB 3/4 compatible drive into a USB 2 port. 

• if you can, invest in a NAS system for storing your media, this will allow you to hook up a 10gbps Ethernet, or Thunderbolt/USB C connection to edit your media much quicker and not have to mount and unmount drives continually. Just one of the benefits of a NAS. 

These are some general things that are easily overlooked. Hope this helps!! 

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Great post, but one point I think you missed is to making sure your source and sequence audio sampling rates match and unless you have differing delivery specs, and keeping the sampling rate to 48k or lower will avoid issues down the road and may help performance.  Some formats of .wav files can have multiple channels of audio which can sometimes choke the system.  and for that matter the same can hold true for video with audio files...    Some cameras shoot with up to 8 channels of audio (maybe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for a great post, @Dan27407918zbpm!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! A list of performance best practices in the program would be a great option. I'm sure there are more ways to increase performance, but this is a good start! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good stuff Dan.

I especially agree with the part on Mogrts and Smart Render. Oh and the Recomendation for ProRes Proxy, excellent!

As an old school guy, when I learned about Smart render it became quite beneficial as basically the edit is done when you finish, like the old days! 🙂 I thank Kevin for that, he wrote a great article on Smart Render.

Thanks for this post

Kevin's Write-up on Smart Render

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome! Yes the ProRes Proxy was a game changer for me. Saves a lot of hard drive space! I could have saved years of time with Smart Render if I learned about it earlier haha! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dan etc.,

"Large video files should be proxied. Apple ProRes Proxy works fine in most cases .... This solves most playback issues. I always proxy"

Any recommendations to use Adobe's proxy workflow should also be accompanied by a warning that Adobe does not support their own proxy workflow with some Premiere Pro functions.

"If your workflow relies on modifying the source clips using any of the following commands [Modify Audio Channels, Interpret Footage, Modify Timecode, Modify Captions], do not use proxies in Premiere Pro. Doing so will result in unexpected behavior."

Previous post.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good point! Thanks for the input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you interpret footage in your workflow, do this first, THEN Proxy."

Dan etc.,

I'm not sure the above statement is relevant to Adobe's warning. That is, I'm not sure it matters when you use the built-in proxy functionality of Premiere Pro with regard to "interpret footage' etc.; Adobe does not support it.

If you have information otherwise, please post.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great post, but one point I think you missed is to making sure your source and sequence audio sampling rates match and unless you have differing delivery specs, and keeping the sampling rate to 48k or lower will avoid issues down the road and may help performance.  Some formats of .wav files can have multiple channels of audio which can sometimes choke the system.  and for that matter the same can hold true for video with audio files...    Some cameras shoot with up to 8 channels of audio (maybe some do more) and although I've talked to cameramen about this, I've never found one who was willing to dig into the menus to see if they could alter this behavior when they're only using one or 2 channels.   Not sure exactly how much of a hit this makes with performance, but I'm a great believer in keeping it simple.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very well explained! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! An excellent approach would be to provide a list of the program's performance best practises. Although this is a solid start, I'm sure there are more ways to improve performance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.  I will try each and every one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines