• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copies and Duplicate clips aren't independent?

Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to copy a sequence so that I could modify one without changing the other. (I tried this first using Duplicate, with the same result)

After making the copy I deleted a track from the copy but discovered that the action was reflected in the original, which surprised me because it was a copy. Why do changing the copy affect the original? 

Does this have anything to do with the V setting options on either side of the Lock icon in the timeline panel?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Folder organization has nothing to do with meeting. So no problem there.

Open sequence America. So it is active on the timeline. Drag Dancing onto it. The sequence Dancing is now nested in America. Any changes to Dancing will show in America (And anywhere else you use it.)

You can copy and paste all or part of (the clips in) a sequence to another and those clips will be independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you make the copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Rt clicked the Sequence and clicked Copy (or Duplicate) in the context menu.

I ended up with two copies, I renamed the 1 and 2.  When I deleted a clip from #1 and checked #2 the same clip was gone.

What is the point of a copy, or duplicate, if changes you make to it affect the original?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reported behavior is not normal, and in fact I can't duplicate it here using 12.0.1 on Windows 10 Pro (1709).  Copies made via Copy/Paste or Duplicate are fully independent of each other.

My best guess at an explanation is bad reporting, occasioned by faulty observation.

I don't have any other guesses at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as the others, duplicate (or any other method I could see that does not nest - i.e. only one video and audio track from the nest) results in independent sequences.

I admit I don't understand it, but wonder what the function of "nest source sequence" is. Are you working solely in the timeline? Or the source monitor?

mikecox_  wrote

I ended up with two copies, I renamed the 1 and 2.  When I deleted a clip from #1 and checked #2 the same clip was gone.

Looking at that again, it does sound like a nest. Can you see multiple tracks in your sequence #2? Or just one video/audio as in a nest? As Jannick says, the correct behavior for a nest is that the original sequence changes show in any later sequence that it is nested in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok it sounds like we may be on the right track.  The problem is I have no idea what nesting is or how it works.  It is possible that my sub-folders may have created nestings, but I wasn't thinking about that when I created them.

I did read a sniped related to nesting awhile back but I didn't want to go there as I had enough on my plate already. 

Does this help address the nesting question?

nesting.jpg

I'm thinking I should dump this effort, delete and re-import all my media, and start over!  It's turned into an unorganized mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folder organization has nothing to do with meeting. So no problem there.

Open sequence America. So it is active on the timeline. Drag Dancing onto it. The sequence Dancing is now nested in America. Any changes to Dancing will show in America (And anywhere else you use it.)

You can copy and paste all or part of (the clips in) a sequence to another and those clips will be independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks, that makes sense to me now.

Appreciate all your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what nesting is or how it works.

Pg 248

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Could it be that you have the sequences in a Nest or that your are deleting contents of a nest?

If you copy a sequence, it will definitely be independent. If you amend a Nested sequence, it will affect all timelines which contain that nest.

Thanks

Jannick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did Adobe think people would want to copy two clips and not, by default, make an actual copy of it and have it not linked? For example, a clip that is text. On a normal day, when people copy and paste a clip with text, they want to copy and paste the clip and be able to edit one of them without it automatically changing the other, but we have to do a search on the internet to figure out how to fix it.

Who copies and pastes a clip with text, and then want to have both of them changed when you edit one of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamisonl77755271  wrote

Who copies and pastes a clip with text, and then want to have both of them changed when you edit one of them?

If you had the same graphic, for example, at the head, middle and tail of a piece - like a web address, or a request for subscriptions - and then found out there was a typo. Updating/correcting one fixes all others, if they were independent, you'll have to change each individually.

That's why you have the option as to how to copy the clips - either as the same clip or independent clips.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you expand on how to copy the clip as an independant sequence?

I came here to find out exaclty that but not having much luck.

I'd like to duplicate a sequence and edit it independantly from the original.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Was there an answer provided to this question?  Great question.  How to copy them correctly independently ?  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd like to duplicate a sequence and edit it independantly from the original.

By @rc31264056

Right click o n the sequence in the Project Panel and choose Duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines