• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom keyboard shortcuts gone after update - what to do?

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fellow editors!

This is a very annoying problem I have. Every time Premiere Pro updates, I am losing all of my custom keyboard shortcuts, my custom panel, my sequence presets ( I use quite a few) and other settings. I am using the sync function, but it doesn't download anything when I am syncing, or trying to download it. And I have synced my previous settings before it updated. This means I have to make them all over again. And I am using Premiere pro almost every day for work (news is a bitch sometimes). I have tries to search for this for some time, but I can´t find any answer for what the problem is.

Please help..!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you sync settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I chose to upload my settings from the Mac to the Cloud. But when I try to sync settings with the new version, there isn´t any...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem as well.  I assumed the update would carry over my settings in the cloud, such as keyboard shortcuts - very important to me.  When I tried downloading my settings, my custom keyboard was not there.  I opened PP2017 and my settings and shortcuts are still there.  I uploaded those settings.  Quit PP2017, opened PP2018, downloaded settings:  everything is PP defaults, no custom keyboard.   This company continually disappoints me with lack of attention to detail.  Things like this are missed in every upgrade.  So much time wasted.  I will put in my request for a fix.  And until it is fixed, I'll keep using 2017. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2018, after you sync settings, do your custom shortcuts appear as an option in the drop down menu on the Keyboard Shortcuts panel?

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.28.47 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meg,

No, my custom shortcuts do not show up in that preset menu, even after uploading my settings.  I see only the first 4 listed in your screenshot (and I assume that [custom] indicates a preset that wasn't named).  I name my personal presets.  It just doesn't exist in my Cloud account or in PP2018.

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, in your sync settings preferences, is Keyboard Shortcuts checked?

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.59.58 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, keyboard settings is checked and "automatically clear all settings on application quit" is unchecked (always unchecked).  I also always verify what I want Premiere to do when syncing:  upload, download or ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress on this?

Also living the same story everytime I upgrade Adobe CC. It has already become sort of a yoga to me, recreating all shortcuts, presets etc. over and over again (Zen work. Better than get pissed off, lol).

But I agree with fomovideo! It is about time for Adobe to take our settings into consideration! Paying more attention to details like these would make all the difference, and would show some more respect for us, the consumers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My feeling is that a large number of Premiere users are having this same problem and Adobe needs to hear from you.  I have already shown in this thread that I did not cause the problem.  If you're losing your settings and a lot of time over that or just not upgrading your applications, you need to express your displeasure and weigh in like iesus89554736 did.  The first post is from mid-July; it's now late November.  A response or solution is now overdue.  So... no, there has been no progress on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but I worked out an easy answer and am dropping it here in case anyone else stumbles on this during a web search.

If you're on a Mac, go to

~Users/admin/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/{previous version}/Profile-admin/Mac

Then copy the file Adobe Premiere Pro Custom.kys to the folder

~Users/admin/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/{current version}/Profile-admin/Mac

Then go to your keyboard shortcuts menu and choose CUSTOM as indicated in Meg's reply above, and you should be all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  When following ohmypro's directions, keep in mind that the ".kys" file you want will have whatever name you gave it when you last saved your custom keyboard.  I made a new folder for the "current version" of PPro (looked up version numbers of PPro and got 12 for the 2017 update and 12.0.1 for the 2018 update (not sure it really matters, but you want Premiere to look in whatever folder you created for the latest version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good lord what a cluster F@#$. Upgrade knocked out both my Export presets and my Keyboard shortcuts. Despite supposedly backing them up to the iCloud, that recovery did not work like others posted above. Luckily I could access my old file presets from my autobackup in Timemachine. But that was only the beginning. I got the Export presets copied back to their old location without an issue and they worked fine. But I tried for two hours to get the old keyboard shortcut file to show up as a "Custom" in the Keyboard Shortcut panel....till I finally got it to work. 

I tried pasting the old file into every potentially relevant subdirectory I could find initially using the file locations referenced in above posts (none of these file locations even existed on my mac- I'm running high Sierra), so I pasted the shortcut file into every Adobe location I could find (including searching for the .kys files that was the adobe default file and pasting it in there. Nothing worked.

Finally I decided to "save" the default keyboard under a new name "test keyboard" within the keyboard shortcut menu to see what subdirectory it would save it in. It created a new subdirectory called "iclouddrive/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/12.0/Profile-CreativeCloud-/Mac. So I then pasted my old shortcut file into this subdirectory and.....it still didn't work. The "test keyboard" file showed in the Custom section but not the new file. So finally I deleted the "test keyboard" file and renamed my old file to "test keyboard" and low and behold it worked.

Come on Adobe....we're paying you a monthly fee and this is the nonsense we have to go through!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

I have a feeling the new iCloud drive that came with high Sierra is what's is creating problems.

It automatically put your desktop and document folder in the cloud.

Can anyone at Adobe points us to good practices to deal with the new iCloud drive and the Adobe folders that are in the mac "Documents" folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can anyone at Adobe points us to good practices to deal with the new iCloud drive and the Adobe folders that are in the mac "Documents" folder?

By @ericpeltier

I don't think there is any official workflow that I know of. Do not use iCloud in tandem with Adobe Premiere Pro. It causes a lot of issues. I made this mistake and am still recovering from the mess. Please report the issue to user voice.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank the lord! you made my day and saved me an hour reprogramming my keys. thanks so much for posting this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! You saved my week, finally, I get to use all my customer shortcuts. Tip for everybody: When u try to find the location, change the "test keyboard" into your exesting keyboard shortcut file name, so u only have to overwrite in when you find the exact location for it! 

You're a hero 👏🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! 2021 is here and I had to use this process to get my shortcuts back! Thanks for posting this 3 years ago. Think Adobe's ever going to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but this but I figure this might help someone. The instructions provided by ohmypro only work for copying over your custom keyboard settings but not for copying over your export presets. Simply do the same exact thing that ohmypro suggests but instead of going to the adobe premiere folder go into the adobe media encoder folder. There you will find a folder titled Presets and you'll simple transfer the contents of that folder into the new version of media encoder. Good luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines