• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DJI drone footage workflow. Transcoding? Proxy?

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to Premiere Pro and am baffled how tough DJI drone footage (Phantom 4 Pro 4k) is to work with natively.

What's your workflow? Do you transcode it or do you create proxies? Do you work with on it natively?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Premiere Pro Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJI drone media, like nearly all drones and many DSLR's and mirrorless cameras, typically records in long-GOP formats. There's a complete actual frame of video every so many "frames", and in-between the camera only records datasets of the pixels that either have moved since the last i-frame, or will move before the next i-frame. This can be written to card fast and "small" in the camera, but is a right bear for the CPU/RAM/cores & threads subsystem on decoding/playback in an NLE.

It's bad enough with FullHD 1080 stuff ... 4k is kind of insane, especially as the camera makers are pushing out the length of the p/b frame sections per i-frame.

So ... using the PrPro proxy-on-ingest process can work pretty well to get around this, use the included Cineform preset and NOT an H.264 preset (no clue why those are even offered). Then with a click of the icon in the Program monitor, you flip forth & back between original & proxy media.

Others still choose to do a full transcode for the editing process, creating intraframe transcodes of either Cineform YUV, DNxHD/R, or ProRes. If they are named exactly the same as the original media, you can 'archive' the original media, use the much larger but better-playing transcodes during editing, and then dump the transcodes when you archive the project file into the folders with the original media.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a fan of Premiere Pro's Proxy workflow for all H.264 media.  The Cineform presets work perfectly.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys. I will give cineform a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines