Exit

Duplicating a text clip and changing the letters without changing the original

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm currently using Premiere Pro CS6

I'm working on a makeup video where text clips pop up with the steps (ex: step 1: Apply foundation).

Now, the text "Step 1" appears before the "Apply foundation" text and even before that, I've got a pink frame submerging from the bottom of the screen which is my background for the texts. All these three elements play in synergy for the desired effect.

I'm doing everything manually, so you can understand that it takes some minutes to find the exact time when I want the frame to submerge and then the text to start appearing etc.

So, for the next steps I want to simply copy and paste the exact same elemens with their timing but I want to change the text (obviously, it's going to be "Step 2" and then whatever that step is ex. "Apply concealer").

However, if I copy them from the sequence and paste them in the sequence, when I change the "Step 1" text to "Step 2", it also changes the original text clip that has to be "Step 1". Now I'm left with two "Step 2"s.

I've searched on the internet and it said that I should duplicate the items from the bin and then drag the duplicated ones to the sequence. However this doesn't maintain the timing, the effects (fading, cross dissolve), so I might as well create a new one from the beginning.

Any solutions? Why is this so tricky to find? Uh!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Here is one way to do what you want (replacing the title contents while preserving key framing):

Copy all the elements used to create your graphic, move the playhead to where you want to graphic animation to happen next and paste the elements there.

For this example, we'll assume the Title is "Step One"

Go to the Project Panel and find the title "Step One". Right click on it, and from the drop down menu, choose duplicate.

Name this duplicated title "Step Two".

Click on the the "Step One" title in the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a bit late for you now as you have done so much work in Premiere but I use the Live Text link with AFX for doing this kind of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but do you mean After Effects (AFX)? If not, then what does AFX stand for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Live Text links to After Effects (also referred to as AE), but that's in CC not CS6. Here's a link to a video if you want to see what that offers Use Live Text templates in Premiere Pro CC. ​

CS6 does have Dynamic Link, so you might be able to kind of do the same thing by duplicating the comps within AE. If you've made the title in Premiere you should be able to right-click to create an AE comp, but be aware that while you can right-click to Replace with After Effects Composition (in which AE will create the composition with your Premiere sequence settings), it will see the title as a solid (black rectangle). You can use that new AE comp to recreate your text animation which will be linked back to your Premiere sequence. In AE, duplicate that comp, change your text for the next step, go back to Premiere, and import that duplicated comp with the new text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is one way to do what you want (replacing the title contents while preserving key framing):

Copy all the elements used to create your graphic, move the playhead to where you want to graphic animation to happen next and paste the elements there.

For this example, we'll assume the Title is "Step One"

Go to the Project Panel and find the title "Step One". Right click on it, and from the drop down menu, choose duplicate.

Name this duplicated title "Step Two".

Click on the the "Step One" title in the timeline to select it. Go to the Project Panel, and holding down the Option (Alt) key, click down on the title "Step Two" and drag it on to the "Step One" title in the timeline and release the mouse.

The clip will now be the title "Step Two", but all animation from the previous clip will be preserved. Double click on the title clip to edit the contents, this will now not effect the "Step One" title as you are working with a separate clip.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines