• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EDL import leads to incorrect timecodes & gaps

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having issues with importing EDL's into premiere. Starting a new project, adding a video, making cuts, then exporting to EDL works fine. But when I re-import that into a new premiere project the timecodes are all wrong and there are gaps in the video.

Here's an example EDL (the video is 1080p 60fps):

------

TITLE: 6900_7200

FCM: NON-DROP FRAME

001  AX       AA/V  C        00:00:00:00 00:00:50:36 00:00:00:00 00:00:50:36

* FROM CLIP NAME: 6900_7200.ts

002  AX       AA/V  C        00:01:08:36 00:01:43:48 00:00:50:36 00:01:25:48

003  AX       AA/V  C        00:03:10:36 00:03:33:24 00:01:25:48 00:01:48:36

------

When importing back in, section 1 continues until 51:15, section 2 until 1:26:41 and the last one until 1:49:20

I've spent all day trying a variety of import options with different modes & timebases but havent gotten anywhere.

Would appreciate any guidance, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a frame rate mismatch between the EDL and the sequence that is being created.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Meg!
How would I add frame rate information to the EDL? Is there a way to verify the frame rate values on both the EDL and the sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look at the numbers, mentally comparing 59.94 against 60 and wonder if the sequence coming 'in' from that EDL is being interpreted as at 59.94? If that was the case, then the sections would take a bit more time to play, a small amount, mostly seconds on a sequence of those lengths.

That's a WAG of course ... but might have a ghost chance of being correct.

Neil

Edit: As a side-note over the years I've had a ton of trouble with PrPro's EDLs and time-rates. Either to SpeedGrade or to Resolve. Maybe 1 of 3 just works. I've exported with the same settings, had one not work, next one did. So I've filed issues about this frequently. Others I know just shake their head and say they've never had an issue. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to hear that I'm not alone neil!

That's the thing, I'm getting the issue while staying in PrPro! Even prpro -> edl -> prpro I'm having this issue.
I did think the same thing at first with 59.94 but I have verified in ffprobe that the input file is 60fps, I have selected the "Indeterminate media timebase" option and set it to 60 fps. My sequence settings are also 1080p at 60fps timebase. Unless there's another option I'm missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is been there done that, and ... ain't got no clue why some work & some don't. I've asked, but haven't received any help on this from anyone. At NAB, I did get some puzzled looks of the sort indicating "how can you screw that up?" ... so for many, apparently, it just works. I've ended up thinking that it just works on their machine, so they've never troubleshooted this and have no idea why it isn't on mine. Ha!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the framerate of the sequence that originated the EDL?

The EDL should have inherited that framerate.

If the original sequence was 59.94, then make sure your new sequence is also 59.94.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi bimabubb,

Did you ever get this fixed? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines