• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Essential Graphics Panel vs. Title Tool (Titler)

Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Premiere 2017.1 and have been introduced to the new "Essential Graphics" panel (EGP) and Title tool.

As of right now, I am both excited and frustrated.  I'm excited that this will allow for creating graphic presets in After Effects and creating some really great animated titles.  I also like the fact that when you add a Photoshop file, the transparency actually works (something that was SO frustrating about the original titler. You could add a "logo," but alpha channels or Photoshop transparency was ignored. Was all based on luminance).

HOWEVER, this is where it ends... currently. This is said, knowing full-well that the original titler tool is still available.

I am having real difficulty with a few things:

- This was not phased in.  Went to quickly create new title in a project by pressing CTRL+T and discovered a surprising, but not necessarily pleasant result of a strange box appearing over my video in my source monitor... Only to finally discover this was part of the new EGP.

- Rolling / scrolling titles:  How does one create them in this new workflow?

- Many of the title styling options are missing.

- How do you apply gradient colors to fonts?

- Drop shadows are missing "size (density)" option.  They have "angle," "distance," and "spread (blur)" only.

- No ability to place to change stroke from  "inner" or "outer."

- No ability to add sheen or texture

- Can't double-click on select box to switch back to editing text (convenience feature).

- When you create a title with the new "titler," it does not place anything in the bin.  This will make organizing reused titles quite difficult to locate and modify. There needs be a way to show all titles available within a project.

I could potentially see getting rid of the old title tool, if some of these issues were addressed.

If there are ANY insights to this new "feature," I would greatly appreciate.  Have not been able to find ANY comprehensive tutorials on the Adobe website for these above items.

Thanks!

-Todd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Hi -

I run the team that wrote the new Graphic features. Thanks for the feedback and know that we do read these and factor them into our plans.

1.) We did not remove the Legacy Titler so if there are features that you need from it, it is still available. We did remap the default shortcut (cmd-T) for new Title to create a new Text Layer, but you can still create a Legacy Title using File->New->Legacy Title.

2.) Automatic roll creation did not make it into this release. You can set keyframes on indiv

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

For those wishing to create Text Gradients right inside Premiere Pro's Program Monitor without needing the Legacy Titler, we're happy to announce the implementation of Text Gradients as of the latest public release of PrPro 15.2. Please try it out when you can and let us know what you think.

For information about how to apply Text Gradients as well as a couple of short how-to videos, go to this link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/text-gradient.ug.html
Here is a snapshot of a Text Grad

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 175 Replies 175
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Certainly, here's a comparison between the Essential Graphics Panel and the Title Tool:

1. **Functionality**:
- **Essential Graphics Panel**: This panel is a comprehensive tool for creating, customizing, and managing motion graphics, titles, and animations. It offers a wide range of options for text and graphics manipulation, including animations, transitions, and effects.
- **Title Tool**: The Title Tool is primarily focused on creating basic titles and text overlays. It provides basic text customization options but lacks the advanced animation and design capabilities of the Essential Graphics Panel.

2. **Ease of Use**:
- **Essential Graphics Panel**: While it offers a wider range of features, it may have a steeper learning curve due to its complexity. However, it provides more flexibility once you become familiar with it.
- **Title Tool**: It's relatively straightforward and easy to use, making it suitable for quick and simple text overlays. It's a good choice for users who need basic titles without the need for complex animations.

3. **Customization**:
- **Essential Graphics Panel**: It allows for extensive customization of text and graphics, including animation, font styles, colors, and more. Users can create dynamic and visually appealing titles and graphics.
- **Title Tool**: Customization options are more limited compared to the Essential Graphics Panel. You can adjust basic attributes like font, size, and color but won't have the same level of control over animations and effects.

4. **Compatibility**:
- **Essential Graphics Panel**: It is commonly found in video editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects, making it suitable for multimedia projects that require motion graphics and advanced text animations.
- **Title Tool**: It may be present in older video editing software or simpler applications. It's suitable for basic text overlay needs but may not be available in more advanced video editing software.

5. **Workflow**:
- **Essential Graphics Panel**: Offers a more integrated and streamlined workflow for creating and managing graphics within video editing software. It's beneficial for projects with complex graphic and animation requirements.
- **Title Tool**: Best suited for quick, straightforward tasks like adding basic text titles to videos without the need for extensive animations or effects.

In summary, the choice between the Essential Graphics Panel and the Title Tool depends on your specific video editing needs. If you require advanced graphics, animations, and customization, the Essential Graphics Panel is the better choice. However, for simple text overlays and a more straightforward workflow, the Title Tool may suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines