Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export multiple sequences at once?

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 to edit about 1400 short (around 10sec each) videos in .avi format.

I have to reduce the speed of each video to 75% and then export every single one again. I have been able to import and slow down all the videos at once, but now I cannot find a way to export them all reasonably fast. When I import the single clips at once, they are all put into one sequence in one project.

I can only access "Export --> Media" if i export one of those videos at a time. If I choose more than one video to export, I can only access export via AAF or Final Cut Pro.

As Premiere Pro doesn't do .avi formats, I want the videos to be in Quick time format (.mov).

I have found a way to put them into the Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5, so I can let the Encoder run the export (so I dont have to wait around for 1400 videos to finish). The problem is that I have to export every video on its own into the Encoder as well. This takes a lot of time, so I hope that someone can help me. Is it possible to export multiple clips at once (either over Premiere Pro or Media Encoder)?

Thanks a lot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

I don't know an easy or automated way..

<waving hand> Ooh, ooh! I do!

Of course, this assumes you have something that you didn't mention, but I'll operate on the assumption that you do: After Effects. Note that I can't fully test this on CS5.5, as I don't have the suite, but it *mostly* works in CS5. From what I know of CS5.5, though, this should work even better in several regards. Ready? Here goes...

1. Assuming you have all of your clips in Premiere, and that you've already interpreted them to the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not create a nested sequence of your timeline, apply 75% speed to the nested sequence and export that sequence? Seems a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick answer!

I forgot to say that I need all the videos to be seperate.

I hope I dont get it wrong, but wouldnt your suggested solution mean that I would get one long video with all the single clips put one after the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. If you need 1400 separate exports, one for each clip, I don't know an easy or automated way, other than adjusting the WAB (work area bar), but that is still very cumbersome for such a large number of clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know an easy or automated way..

Of course, this assumes you have something that you didn't mention, but I'll operate on the assumption that you do: After Effects. Note that I can't fully test this on CS5.5, as I don't have the suite, but it *mostly* works in CS5. From what I know of CS5.5, though, this should work even better in several regards. Ready? Here goes...

1. Assuming you have all of your clips in Premiere, and that you've already interpreted them to the frame rate you want (I'm guessing that's how you changed their speed en masse), select all the clips in the bin and copy them.
  2. Launch After Effects, create a new project, and paste all of the clips into AE; all the clips will be added to the project using the interpretation set in Premiere. Technically, you could start at this point by importing all of your footage into AE and doing the interpretation here; options, options.
  3. With all the clips selected in AE, drag them to the New Comp button at the bottom of the Project panel; this will open a dialog asking if you want to create a single comp with all clips, or multiple compositions. Pick the Multiple Compositions option, and hit OK. Wait... You'll now have a bunch of comps, each containing one clip, with the proper intepretation and speed change... and they'll also have the name of your source clip.
  4. Launch AME. Go to Edit > Preferences > General, and tick the "Specify output file destination:" checkbox. Pick the location where you want all of your encodes to land; the reason you need to do this is that AME lets you change the format and preset for multiple queued items, but stupidly, you can't change the location for more than one item. This step will save you a lot of headache x1400
  5. Go back to AE--and this is one cool new feature--select all your comps and drag-and-drop them into the AME queue. You can now change the format and preset for all of your queued items at once, and you'll see that they're all going to land in the location you chose in the Preferences. One final bit that changed in CS5.5 is that multiple queued PPro sequence or AE comps use that sequence or comp title--NOT the project title--when you add multiple items to the queue. This was an extremely annoying oversight in CS5 (and frankly, would have made your process pretty much a nightmare), that thankfully has been rectified in CS5.5.

Now, of course, the moment I typed all that up (which I'll leave so you can see how ridiculously easy the next process is), I figured out a better solution.

1. Drag all your clips in AME.
  2. Select all your clips in AME.
  3. Right click a clip in the queue or go to File > Intepret Footage. Set the frame rate you want. Hit OK.
  4. Set your format, preset, and click the start button. You'll still want to have set the location preference as above in #4.

I'll let you decide which is easier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice solution... if he has CS5.5.

Premiere Pro sequences and After Effects comps added to the AME queue will now retain their names,

Very good news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice solution... if he has CS5.5.

Wouldn't have posted it if he hadn't mentioned that he did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoulda said:

Nice solution...  if I had CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aye, there's the rub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm away from my editing rig right now so can't double check, but In Premiere Pro CS5.5 try this -- with Pr open, open AME, then select all the sequences at once in Pr and drag to AME.

Or, use the AME feature that imports Pr sequences. In the AME import window you maneuver to the Pr projects file and then select the sequences you want to encode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, use the AME feature that imports Pr sequences. In the AME import window you maneuver to the Pr projects file and then select the sequences you want to encode.

The only problem with adding 1400 sequences to AME using this method

is that the output file names will all be identical (the name of the project that

the sequences were imported from).

You will need to specify different output file names one at a time.... 1400 times.

Or, check "Increment output file name..." in the Preferences menu.

That should work if generically named and numbered files are ok.

preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that really correct? I thought the files encoded from the sequences have the same names as the sequences, not the project from which they came. I'll have to try that as soon as I get a chance.

Also, it will be interesting to find out whether AME can take 1400 sequences at once.

joe bloe premiere wrote:

The only problem with adding 1400 sequences to AME using this method

is that the output file names will all be identical (the name of the project that

the sequences were imported from).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that really correct? I thought the files encoded from the sequences have the same names as the sequences, not the project from which they came. I'll have to try that as soon as I get a chance.

Actually, that used to be the case. Fortunately, CS5.5 saved us Premiere Pro sequences and After Effects comps added to the AME queue will now retain their names, instead of using the project name with a serial number. One of those tiny things that makes a huuuuge difference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it will be interesting to find out whether AME can take 1400 sequences at once.

If the OP employs Colin's clever course, I would be interested to know how AME performs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. If nothing else, a batch approach would work--100 or so at a time.

Looking at the original post again, I'm a little confused: I'm wondering what he's implying by "Premiere Pro not doing .avi?" Is this a Mac? What are the AVIs? Something is fishy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm away from my editing rig right now so can't double check, but In Premiere Pro CS5.5 try this -- with Pr open, open AME, then select all the sequences at once in Pr and drag to AME.

Jerry,

What you're suggesting works, but the problem is that there is no way to quickly create 1400 single-clip sequences in Premiere Pro, and you can't send multiple clips sans sequences from Premiere Pro to AME. Fortunately, there are workarounds (see above.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

Right. I was going by the post title, but OP does say clips at the end.

There is, perhaps, another solution without going to After Effects, and that is to use the Watch folder. This might be much quicker for large numbers of clips, depending on the work flow.

Colin Brougham wrote:

Jerry,

What you're suggesting works, but the problem is that there is no way to quickly create 1400 single-clip sequences in Premiere Pro, and you can't send multiple clips sans sequences from Premiere Pro to AME. Fortunately, there are workarounds (see above.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is, perhaps, another solution without going to After Effects, and that is to use the Watch folder. This might be much quicker for large numbers of clips, depending on the work flow.

It would, if you didn't need to manipulate the clips before encoding. In this case, the OP wants to slow the clips down, e.g. reinterpret their frame rate. With a Watch Folder, it's FIFO; adding them to the queue at least lets you do a modicum of clip manipulation (via Interpret Footage) before encoding. That's what my second solution entailed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me the batch feature of VirtualDub was made for this kind of job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, it works perfectly fine with AME!!! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear! Out of curiousity, were you able to process all 1400+ clips in one go, or did you have to do batches?

I think we're all anxious to hear, because that would say a lot about the stability of CS5.5 and the robustness it is afforded by being a 64-bit application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite finished yet, but so far I didnt have any troubles importing all the 1400 clips into AME. It took a few minutes, but it didnt crash or anything.

Its still working at the moment, Ill let you know once its finished. Thanks a lot again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, it works, just not as fast.

importing all the videos was no problem at all, but when it comes to changing the frame rate, it gets a bit more complicated. It can only process about 80-100 videos at a time (via "file --> interpret footage"), otherwise it crashes. but 14 clicks are better than 1400...

its exporting the videos at the moment, seems to be working so far. takes about 15 seconds for each video.

Thanks a lot again for the help, you saved my day! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

importing all the videos was no problem at all, but when it comes to changing the frame rate, it gets a bit more complicated. It can only process about 80-100 videos at a time (via "file --> interpret footage"), otherwise it crashes. but 14 clicks are better than 1400...

Thanks for reporting. I wonder if the crash is a memory issue; it might be a situation where AME is not managing memory properly, and it just keeps trying to load clips into memory to change their interpretation, but isn't letting them go afterward. If you have a way of watching the RAM uitlization, you might be able to confirm this. If it is, it might be worthy of a bug report: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

In any event, glad you're able to make progress!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing something very similar, how did you import your clips into individual sequences and slow them down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines