• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting open captions as .srt file (Premiere Pro 14.9 or earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The Adobe help page on working with captions (Learn to work with captions in Premiere Pro ) states that:

'You can export Open Captions as Open Caption formatted SRT and XML files and also convert single stream sidecar and embedded single stream files to Open Caption in Premiere Pro.'

I'm working with Open Captions (in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.0.1) and whilst I can burn them into the finished film no problem, I can't seen any way to export the open captions as a separate .srt file.

Any help would be much appreciated!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Hi,

To export the captions as a separate SRT file (or various other formats) do this:

Select the file that says Captions in the Project Panel.

Go to the menu File > Export > Captions and select the SubRip file format from the top Dropdown box.

This will not render out the video, but ONLY save the captions file as an SRT.

(It took me a while to figure this out as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking myself the same exact question :

"You can export Open Captions as Open Caption formatted SRT and XML files and also convert single stream sidecar and embedded single stream files to Open Caption in Premiere Pro."

Thanks, but how ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmd M then in second box on menu : Captions set Create sidecar File and choose srt. and export the bad boy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your going to love me. Here is a workaround on this glitch:

When you are ready to export, select your timeline and SOMETHING else in the Project Window. Then when you export and go to the Captioning window- the export sidecar option will magically work.

Hope this saved you hours of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. Works perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I saw that you tried to export an open caption as a sidecar file and was able to do it with the help of the community in this forum . I tried the same thing that people recommended you and it didn't work. Is there any advice that you can give me? Maybe i'm doing something wrong. Thanks in a advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for closed captions- in other words, captions created with a separate captions layer. When that layer is on your timeline above the video and your export is that sequence. I'm recommending selecting that sequence and for instance- a black video clip from the project window and then selecting export.

In your video settings for export, select the caption tab and you should see all options in the drop down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the answer! I really made a mistake choosing Open Captions...and now it can't be exported or converted to Closed Captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I'm getting close by following your method, but I'm not getting the sidecar file when I finish exporting. Plus, I have to export the whole video just to see if there's a sidecar at the end, and there isn't.

What kind of format do you choose in your export settings? I understand your instructions about the Captions settings, but I mean the format options at the top. I've tried mp4 and png sequence. I've also tried deactivating the video tracks except the open caption track but still to no avail.

Would it have been easier if I hadn't started with Open Captions? If so, any way to convert?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To export the captions as a separate SRT file (or various other formats) do this:

Select the file that says Captions in the Project Panel.

Go to the menu File > Export > Captions and select the SubRip file format from the top Dropdown box.

This will not render out the video, but ONLY save the captions file as an SRT.

(It took me a while to figure this out as well)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a srt file from a subtitle track I created in Premiere. When I try to click "Captions" from the "export" drop down menu, it's grayed out. Any idea why?  I've also tried this:

When you are ready to export, select your timeline and SOMETHING else in the Project Window. Then when you export and gof to the Captioning window- the export sidecar option will magically work.

But I can't find the .srt file once it has been queued/exported. Thanks in advance for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the question I am answering:

'I'm trying to export a srt file from a subtitle track I created in Premiere. When I try to click "Captions" from the "export" drop down menu, it's grayed out. Any idea why?'

Here is the answer/solution:

You need to make sure that Toggle Sync Lock icon in the track header of the srt tract in the timeline is toggled. When you do this the  "Captions" option in the "export" drop down menu becomes clickable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this is the correct answer to export Open Captions layer to .srt file - ridiculously hard to find out how to do this. Thanks again, your answer should be marked as the correct answer in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I wasn't answering a question, I was asking one. I tried one person's suggestion (When you are ready to export, select your timeline and SOMETHING else in the Project Window. Then when you export and gof to the Captioning window- the export sidecar option will magically work.) but I couldn't find the .srt file once it exported. In fact it opened up Media Encoder but I couldn't do anything once in that program. Any other advice would be very helpful. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I believe in the export menu, instead of choosing export media, there's an option  called "Captions". (Files > Export > Captions). Maybe it's not there but somewhere else. That's how I exported the .srt file. (Premiere Pro 2017) Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to export a timeline of SRT files but the captions button does not seem to work (greyed out). Do you know how to export a full timeline of multiple SRT files instead of the one SRT file selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, This a REAL fix for open captions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on. Epic FAIL.

This export worked first time. Then I adjusted and added more lines to the caption clip, increased the length to a new edit. Now it doesn't export! At all!

It goes through the motions. I press save. No file is saved anymore, nothing. Its a blip, a crushing blow. Gutted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded an mp4 file which has subtitles embedded inside it. I can toggle them on or off in VLC media player. Is there anyway I can export from Adobe Premiere pro cc 2019? File>export>captions option is greyed out. I even created a new sequence from the clip, selected it on editing timeline,  then tried the same option to export the subtitles but it still it's greyed out.

What should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PR only embeds in mov and mxf. Here is a feature request you can upvote to add other options:

708 Closed Captioning – Adobe video & audio apps

I can't find it now, but someone said you could use Handbrake to embed in mp4.

To embed in MOV or MXF from PR, you use File -> Export -> Media (i.e. Ctrl-M) and set the captions tab to "embed." It does not help you, since mp4 is not included. It also only works if the caption stream is a supported type (e.g. Closed caption, not Open Caption) and it is the right export type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic...that sorted it...thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I tried several times with different file formats and it didn't work. Is there any other workaround that you could think of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It really did work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so ridiculous - but thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you love!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines