Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Advice for premiere pro cc 2018 on win 10

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am a little confused. When I look at System Requirements of cc 2018, it reads "recommended GPUs".

What does that mean? Are those GPUs supported or not? Is it true that neither GTX 1050-1070 or GTX 980ti are supported on this

platform (WIN 10)?

I am already annoyed at the fact that my rx 580 is not supported, since its an awesome gpu, which soars in resolve (Render time in Resolve:

280x (3GB) =44min Rx580 (4GB) =14 min! for same project).. After getting my head around the fact that adobe does not support this gpu, I m trying to find out which ones are actually supported.

But honestly: After seeing the Resolve 15 update yesterday, I am ready to switch. Resolve doesn't give me any probs with my gpu, is ultrastable and has the best cc of them all.

So: Is anyone running 1070ti or 980ti on win 10 and are those working?

Or do I have to buy a 1080ti or Titan V?

Best

Hendrik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That list hasn't been updated in a while.  I use a 970 and a 1070 without issues.

But I hear ya on the Resolve thing.  BMD pulled so far ahead of Adobe on Monday morning, I don't think PP will ever catch up now.  At least not for professional use.  Adobe seems more interested in turning Premiere Pro into Premiere Hobbyist.  By way of example, Adobe added a Learning panel to help non-professionals use professional software.  BMD added Hollywood caliper VFX software to Resolve without dumbing it down from it's stand alone counterpart.  (*cough*Lumetri)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its hilarious: I was thinking: ‘ If fcpx had this and premiere had this and so on’

around the corner comes resolve with integrating all of it into one app...

if they can make that stable..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always like to install competitive apps and see what's new.  The latest Resolve looks to be a winner.  However, it will not work in fully Windows 7, (I installed it and their custom sound controllers would not install correctly).  So I couldn't get patched into the audio channel.  So not for me.  2020 is a ways off, yet.

I'm going to ride out the Win 10 storm until it plays out or Mobile finally comes through.  The days of $10K workstations and $$$ software are soon over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to ride out the Win 10 storm

I think that's a mistake.  10 is here for a while, and it works just fine.  You only hurt yourself by holding off, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I did not want to comment on it. Holding out the storm on an os that was released 3 years ago and holding on to an os, which was discontinued 6 years ago seems like... well... peculiar..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if they can make that stable..

I'm seeing some reports of issues, but it is still a version 1 beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Adobe means by recommended GPUs as I guess is that those GPUs has been tested with that version

of Premiere and all possible issues has been worked out and solved if there are any, and found to be the

most reliable devices with the least troubleshooting.

Now if your device is not in the list, that does not mean that it should not work. Maybe it will work normally

and give better performance and stability, maybe it will crash and you can make use of the crash reports

to send them to Adobe and help them sort out the problems and so, increase their list of recommended GPUs

in the future. Premiere Pro is growing fast, with so many tools, codecs, presets, keyframing possibilities,

motion graphic templates, dynamic link with after effects and other adobe apps, the great workflow and the

great team management possibilities, so it is really a huge software now and common to experience bugs,

but Adobe are working hard to resolve any issues directed to them by clients and users.

It is okay that Resolve stepped quickly into the market, maybe it is good and stable for video editors and

color graders, but I don't know how far it is practical for After Effects users and integration between them

and professional video editors using Premiere Pro. The integration with other Adobe apps as Photoshop

and Illustrator, dynamic linking and now the motion graphics templates (mogrt).

I wonder why there are some angry folks here, throwing stones on Adobe by the time Premiere Pro has

been used by so many generations of professionals and still so ! Adobe has done a great job and a great

service to all creators, and we should do our best to help them through sending crash reports, and also,

no problem to give them your feedback on GPUs working fine that are not listed, they would be more

than thankful !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why there are some angry folks here

That will never change.  The subscription based model, along with automatic updates into versions that render previous features and codecs useless, has only added to the aggravation.  I can post "do not install/update mid-project or without offline testing" daily, and it mount to nothing.  These kids will only wail and knash teeth when sh*t breaks, (and some would hope that you and I will do the research and solve the problem for them).

This business still requires advanced knowledge of hardware, drivers and administration, (or the willingness to pay a vendor to do it for you).  It's more than software, it's a system.

Adobe cannot possible cover all the bases.  They too are at the mercy of 3rd party vendors, licensing and over-reaching OS vendors whom enforce their wants into the mix.  Adobe, like all other vendors, have to comply.

They can threaten all they want, as the grass always seems greener on the other side.  They just never factor in the trouble with managing the hurdle over the fence. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course its a hard task to keep up with hardware manufacturers and the constantly growing demands of customers.

But I am not demanding the impossible.

I have a highly capable GPU. Davinci seems to have no probs utilizing on the same platform.

Adobe has no probs utilizing it on mac os. Adobe has no probs with opencl on mac.

Resolve shows how good opencl is on the win platform, as my benchmark in my initial post proves.

Scratching my head in disbelief, why this GPU is not supported on the WIN platform by adobe is not throwing stones at anyone.

I did a lot of my work with premiere pro. I think its a good App, although I found it to be very buggy. Especially with the last updates.

But it has a lot of features and gets the job done. But things like this simply drive me away from this product. I don't need AE. And most of Audition has been implemented into PPro anyway.

I found myself myself staying in Resolve most of the time in my last project, cause roundtripping was tedious. So I wrapped my head around Resolve and found it to be a very capable editor. With the newest update, they will be a force to reckon with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU/Third party is not up to Adobe.  If they spec conformance, then it's only a guarantee that it will work with the tested specs.  Any deviation, (driver update, other hardware, etc. and test is invalidated).

There's lots of issues with Resolve as well, It wouldn't even install correctly and when I reported it, not a single reply/response of any kind.  I deleted the install file and fired up PPro for the next job.

I still use 2014, 2015.3.  2018 has worked thus far, but we all use it differently.  Stick with what works and matters to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peferling  schrieb

GPU/Third party is not up to Adobe.  If they spec conformance, then it's only a guarantee that it will work with the tested specs.  Any deviation, (driver update, other hardware, etc. and test is invalidated).

GTX 780 is validated, 780 ti not. GTX 1080 ti is validated, 1080 not. Are you kidding me?

There's lots of issues with Resolve as well, It wouldn't even install correctly and when I reported it, not a single reply/response of any kind.  I deleted the install file and fired up PPro for the next job.

You were probably not a paying customer, right?

I still use 2014, 2015.3.  2018 has worked thus far, but we all use it differently. 

I use editing software for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratching my head in disbelief, why this GPU is not supported on the WIN platform

Chances are it will work fine.  It's just not listed because Adobe doesn't update the list.

Having said that, PP does have a history of better results using CUDA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  schrieb

Chances are it will work fine.  It's just not listed because Adobe doesn't update the list.

No. Rx 580 doesn work at all. No hardware rendering available, only software.

Having said that, PP does have a history of better results using CUDA.

I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenCL is supported on Windows, so my guess is you're seeing a local issue with your system.  I would expect the RX 580 to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Nvidia card are all good. The rendering speeds depends on your cuda processors. The cards like GTX580; 590; GTX680, 690 780GTX, 980 and 1080 and the Titan family are the best in that range due to their Memory Interface width of 384bits.

Youtube has lots of videos on the amd cards                          

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched a lot of YT fixes. They don't apply for ppro cc 2018 (12.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that it's supported. Read my other posts carefully please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subscription based model, along with automatic updates

That's false information.  The CC programs NEVER update themselves automatically.  Updating/upgrading is ALWAYS user initiated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

I now bought a GTX 970,installed the newest driver and CUDA.

Still Premiere Pro 2018 (12.1) will only give me . "Software only" rendering in direct export from Ppro and AME.

Any hints, why this is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used 970gtx and add it manually or install from this link

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5-2.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I have to do this? Whern I go to

Project Settings>General, it shows CUDA Acelleration.

It seems to have to do something with mp4 encoding. When I change export settings to mp4 the export Module shows "Software only".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try the latest Premiere Pro update, this bug was fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carlosz13485882  schrieb

try the latest Premiere Pro update, this bug was fixed

Not in my case. I have two machines. On win7, latest ppro (12.1.1.) still no hardware rendering, only software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it was not completely fixed .. hoping to see a stable update soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines