• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Greyed out options when search bin is opened in a Panel

Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't determine if that's a bug or something that completely makes sense (yeah right.lol)

When I double click on a search bin for it to open in a panel (in place, separately or new window)

Some options of right clicking a file are greyed out. More specifically: "Hide", "Modify", "New Sequence From Clip", "Speed Duration", "Make Offline", "Proxy", "Create Multi-Camera" and "Label".

Funny thing, all of those are available for all files, in the same search bin, only if you expand it and not double click on it.

It drove me crazy for some time since I need to only proxy a specific type of files, label specific others, etc. and I am used to double clicking and ctrl-a to select all, rather than expanding the search bin, selecting the first file, holding shift and selecting the last one.

Why am I using the search bin to filter files you might ask? It's because Adobe, for some reason decided to change the behaviour of filtering, so instead of revealing only the filtered files (i.e: typing ".mp4" in the search file to reveal only mp4s) it now reveals the filtered files with their folders, where selecting all might result in selecting other files that live in the same folder and that you don't want selected.

I can't be any smarter or more efficient than a bunch of engineers at Adobe now can I?

So can someone please confirm that they are encountering those new behaviours and if that's how Premiere has become, can someone explain why? so I can wrap my head around another workflow approach?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. I can reproduce this. I can't see any reason, so please log a bug and cite this forum thread for context.

Adobe video & audio app feedback

screenshot_1731.png screenshot_1732.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stefan,

Bug Reported.

What about the new behaviour of filtering? Adobe, for some reason decided to change the behaviour of filtering, so instead of revealing only the filtered files (i.e: typing ".mp4" in the search file to reveal only mp4s) it now reveals the filtered files with their folders, where selecting all might result in selecting other files that live in the same folder and that you don't want selected. This was not the case in previous versions where it used to only reveal filtered items without their inclosing folders, any way to change this behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I search for MP4 files, only the MP4 files show up, despite that same bin also containing MTS files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, But the folder/bins that contains those MP4 files is showed as well.

Case scenario: There is 10 Bins, all of them contain .mp4, .mts and .jpeg.

If you want to filter .jpegs to delete them, you would type in .jpeg, select all and delete.

But, with the new behaviour, typing .jpeg will show the jpegs WITH the folders/bins they live in, select all --> delete will result in selecting all of those bins and deleting them with everything in them. Including the .mp4 and .mts

I hope that makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description makes sense.  I'm not sure your complaint does.

I find it valuable to see the bin structure the searched for files are in.  Rather than selecting everything, which would include the bins, select only the searched for files.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite helpful when working with a big number of files, folders and bins.

Also, the complain makes sense when combined with the buggy search bins mentioned above. this does not only apply to deleting.

Let's say you have 1000 Mp4s and 800 MTS organized into 15 bins and several sub-bins, and you want to proxy ONLY the MTS. How would you do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do recommend using Cineform proxies for all H.264 media.  It just works better.

I also create them upon Ingest.  It's just more efficient.

That's one specific case, though.  It won't apply to all cases where you consider this an issue.  All I can say is that I find revealing the bin structure a valuable addition to the software's operation.  I hope we don't lose that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I believe you misunderstood my question.

Let's say you have 1000 Mp4s and 800 MTS organized into 15 bins and several sub-bins, and you want to proxy ONLY the MTS and you don't want to Proxy the Mp4. in 2 steps, How would you select ONLY MTS files to proxy without selecting the mp4 files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you want to proxy ONLY the MTS and you don't want to Proxy the Mp4.

I got that.  I'm saying change your mind.  Proxy it all when you import it.  If it's an H.264 clip, create a Cineform proxy as a first step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. My search filter is always grayed out. Have tested in several projects. Have restarted Premiere Pro twice. Have tried clicking on various items in the Project window. Have tried moving the Project window around as suggested elsewhere.

Create Search Bin works. But the filter box next to it is always grayed out.

PPro V12.1.0 (Build 186)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still a problem with V12.1.1 (Build 10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hitting this problem too - very annoying as what't the point of a search bin if you can't do anything with it. And what's the point of a filtered bin if you have to manually grab files to avoid the folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This bug still exists for me on version 14.6 build 51. Filing another bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines